[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Heldt Redshirt?  (Read 3096 times)

MUMonster03

• All American
Heldt Redshirt?
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
Does anyone know how long the team has to decide to red-shirt Heldt or not?

Just surprised that in two games, granted close games, he hasn't been used to give Fisher or Ellenson a brief breather, maybe if they had gotten in foul trouble?

Granted rotations can change as the season goes on but the change between the games was a reduction in Sacar and JJJ's minutes and Wally seeing the court. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Heldt Redshirt?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
Others may correct me...but I believe we have quite a long time to decide, as long as he isn't getting in games.

I think we will continue to see more of Wally.  As for last night, I think Sacar's reduction in minutes was a function of foul trouble.  As for JJJ, I think his minutes start going to Wally if he doesn't produce more.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
I don't think these first two opponents provided match ups where Matt would have provided much help. Undersized three point shooting bigs guys are not a good matchup for Matt. Or any of our big guys apparently.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:17:06 AM »
There is no deadline. As long as he doesn't play, he can be redshirtted.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 01:42:37 PM »
It's highly unlikely that Heldt will redshirt. Fischer has played all but 11 minutes so far this season, including 44 of 45 last night. At some point, there will either be a blow-out or Luke will get a couple fouls and Heldt will see the floor. Given the defensive issues that MU has had in the paint, giving minutes to a true freshman big isn't going to help.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
Others may correct me...but I believe we have quite a long time to decide, as long as he isn't getting in games.

I think we will continue to see more of Wally.  As for last night, I think Sacar's reduction in minutes was a function of foul trouble.  As for JJJ, I think his minutes start going to Wally if he doesn't produce more.

Wally has great energy and incredible hops but he doesn't impress me as a basketball player.  I think his greatest attribute will be that he helped us get Henry.  Wally will play minutes but it will never be anything close to major minutes.  JJJ had a brutal game yesterday but was decent against Belmont.  Sacar had just as brutal of a game yesterday as JJJ.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
While it may be good for Heldt to redshirt, doubt if we can afford it. Fischer will wear down as the season goes on. He is already playing tons of minutes, and Henry wants to hang on the perimeter so he is not a real option at the 5. That will not be his pro position, which is what he is being groomed for.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 03:55:21 PM »
He played in exhibition game, so he cannot redshirt without a season ending injury.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »
He played in exhibition game, so he cannot redshirt without a season ending injury.

I don't think exhibitions count towards eligibility but I could be wrong.

It's a moot point, Heldt will get minutes somewhere along the season
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »

Actually I think incoming freshmen can play in an exhibition game and then redshirt.  Upper classmen cannot.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 05:45:43 PM »
I'll try to clarify.

First off, "redshirt" is simply a term to describe someone who doesn't play. One second of competition and describing you as a redshirt is improper.

This is incorrect. See Bylaw 12.8.3.1.3:
Quote from: D1 Manual - 2015-16 - August Version
12.8.3.1.3 Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages During Initial Year.

During a student-athlete’s initial year of enrollment at the certifying institution, he or she may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Revised: 5/9/06, 7/31/14)

Because this is Matt's initial year of enrollment, if he didn't play a second this (regular) season, he'd be a classic "redshirt," maintaining his 4 years of competition eligibility. 

I think we'll ultimately see him play this season, but only time will tell.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback