'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Nukem2
[Today at 02:29:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Outside the box score  (Read 1954 times)

jsglow

• All American
Outside the box score
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
I'm going to point to a couple of plays outside the box score that I think have some importance.

First the good.  On two near back to back possessions Fischer did an excellent job screening off the right side of the lane for a left side penetration by Cheatham or Sandy (don't recall).  A la Big Chris back a couple years, no defender was allowed to provide help and 4 easy points were the result.  Nice work Fishy.

Now the bad:  On a 3-1 or 4-2 break, DU was modestly ahead of the ball on the left side.  Instead of providing that key screen for his driving teammate OR getting in a position to be a shooting option on the play (perhaps heading to the corner), he stood still near the elbow, seemingly called for the ball with a defender nearby, and frankly got in the way thus ruining the break.  I thought it was one of Duane's worst plays in what was a poor first half.  I have every confidence it'll be corrected in film work today.  Wojo's not one to blow up at a guy individually very often in public.

Other examples for all exist.  This team has plenty of room to grow.

PaintTouches

• All American
Re: Outside the box score
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
Now the bad:  On a 3-1 or 4-2 break, DU was modestly ahead of the ball on the left side.  Instead of providing that key screen for his driving teammate OR getting in a position to be a shooting option on the play (perhaps heading to the corner), he stood still near the elbow, seemingly called for the ball with a defender nearby, and frankly got in the way thus ruining the break.  I thought it was one of Duane's worst plays in what was a poor first half.  I have every confidence it'll be corrected in film work today.  Wojo's not one to blow up at a guy individually very often in public.

I missed this in the first half but caught a separate instance in OT. Haanif got a steal and led the break with a man at his hip. Duane was a few steps ahead of him calling for it. The right play for any player, particularly a PG, would be to get it to the man in front of the defense. Haanif, not being a natural PG, and lacking experience, instead took it himself and got it blocked/knocked out of bounds on a tough attempt. Duane was pissed and turned his back on Haanif and the ball, sulking towards the FT line at not getting the rock. Wojo was as mad as I noticed all night, tearing into Duane (presumably to stop his hissy fit and get on the action).

This is what it means to be an inexperienced team. Haanif made the incorrect decision, but Duane didn't react positively. Instead of walking over to his teammate to a) tell him to be unselfish b) tell him it's ok c) show leadership, he sulks on his own. Both messed up, both can learn from it. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »
10,000+
Saw the play. Screamed the whole time "Pass ahead", watched as we let an easy 2 points end in a ball out of bounds at a critical time in the game.  I didn't see Duane's sulk but it doesn't surprise me and it can't happen. >:(
I like the way Haanif plays and I think right now he is probably our best option at the #1.  But on all of his drives to the hoop I have NEVER seen him pass to anyone.  Once he makes the decision to go he is not going to pass.  On a team with 2 GREAT low post options the PG has to be looking to pass off the drive.  I dare say Pass First and only finish if nothing else is available.
I know its not fair but I can't help but think what a field day Junior C. would have had with Luke and HE on the floor.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:07:14 PM »
What's his name the color commentator mentioned Wilson's reaction being poor and not what you want to see from one of the team leaders.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »
I also yelled at the TV on that play.  I actually hope it was inexperience and not just being selfish.  That cannot happen and if I were the player ahead I would have been pissed too.  That should have been an easy layup, a foul, or both.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
What's his name the color commentator mentioned Wilson's reaction being poor and not what you want to see from one of the team leaders.

Yep.  Stephen Bardo.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »

Yup, and you could see Wojo laying into Duane after that play.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »
Haanif was unguarded, had a lane to the basket and no clear lane to pass to Duane, who had 2 guys a half-step behind him and he wasn't that far ahead of the ball. If Wilson slows and screens off the defenders even slightly, HC likely has a lay-up. If he passes it ahead, you have the smallest guy on the court going full speed for a contested lay-up against two defenders. True, he may have been better passing it ahead but to say that Haanif made the "wrong" play is oversimplifying things. Any coach worth his salt will tell a player to take the uncontested lay-up himself as opposed to passing to someone ahead. There's a greater chance for error doing the latter.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 12:51:14 PM »
Yep.  Stephen Bardo.

Is that Don Pardo's cousin?

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 12:52:19 PM »
Is that Don Pardo's cousin?

Half brother.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
I think I recall that OT play you are talking about.  Yep, DU needed to show more leadership and quietly instruct his Frosh teammates.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 01:03:26 PM »

First the good.  On two near back to back possessions Fischer did an excellent job screening off the right side of the lane for a left side penetration by Cheatham or Sandy (don't recall).  A la Big Chris back a couple years, no defender was allowed to provide help and 4 easy points were the result.  Nice work Fishy.

I also noticed this and, after the second one, stopped it, rewound it and played it again so my wife knew why I had complimented Luke.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
I also noticed this and, after the second one, stopped it, rewound it and played it again so my wife knew why I had complimented Luke.

Yup, say what you want about Otule but he was incredible at sealing off defenders for Vander, DJO and Jae.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »

I remember watching games where Chris would do that.  One of the other guys would go in for the open layup or dunk and I'd yell "Great play, Chris!"  My wife would try to correct me by explaining that Van, DJO or whomever made the play.  Then I corrected her.  She thought I was trying to be too cool to admit I made a mistake until I rewound a few on TV and showed her the replays.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
I remember watching games where Chris would do that.  One of the other guys would go in for the open layup or dunk and I'd yell "Great play, Chris!"  My wife would try to correct me by explaining that Van, DJO or whomever made the play.  Then I corrected her.  She thought I was trying to be too cool to admit I made a mistake until I rewound a few on TV and showed her the replays.

Nope, you were "trying to be too cool" by giving verbal credit for an off-the-ball play that only really observant basketball minds would pick up on  ;)