'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence getting screwed  (Read 9970 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Providence getting screwed
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 12:13:06 PM »
So it wouldn't be an advantage if an 11-seed Wisconsin played a 6-seed from across the country at the BC?

There's no reason that has to happen. The 11-seeds play at four different sites. Three of them are not an hour from Dayton. No excuse for this.

I didn't say it wouldn't be an advantage.  I said that the NCAA didn't need to take into consideration if an 11 seed is possibly playing 70 miles from home.  You place the top 16 seeds, make sure no one is playing at home, and let the chips fall where they may.

It's never going to be completely fair.  You just have to deal with it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
It does seem unfortunate that a play-in team isn't then asked to jet further from home.  I feel the same way about the Warriors having to play 15 hours after beating the Hall.  Nova earned it; we didn't.  Take it like a man.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »

BTW, as long as Archie Miller is coaching Dayton, I would welcome them into the Big East. 

We're not friends anymore.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
There's no reason that has to happen. The 11-seeds play at four different sites. Three of them are not an hour from Dayton. No excuse for this.

Absolutely agree with that, but the NCAA has to pretend that they're concerned about their "student athletes" missing class time, and whatever other b.s. they trot out.  It is total garbage that Dayton barely was invited to this thing, and literally have played one home game, and now two de facto home games.  Archie Miller himself admitted after last night's game that it felt like a home game for his team. 

Sultan, you're right in your earlier post that it will never be perfectly fair for everyone, but the NCAA could easily avoid situations like this and make it a little closer to perfect. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
We're not friends anymore.
I have been consistent in saying I think Dayton should be in the big east.   Don't let a little thing like that ruin a friendship.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »
I have been consistent in saying I think Dayton should be in the big east.   Don't let a little thing like that ruin a friendship.   

I'd happily take them, but I'm not sure there's anyone else in the country worth adding, unless UConn wants to drop football (I jest...won't happen).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

UDfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »
I don't think there was a soul outside of the selection committee that believed that UD was "on the bubble" and deserved a "first four" game.  In that respect, UD got hosed.  We never should have had to win a game to get into the 2nd round.  As for playing in Columbus in the 2nd and 3rd round, it's an advantage.  But UD fans travel well, and we probably would have outnumbered Providence fans almost anywhere.  We did not have refs biased towards UD, however.  UD plays small-ball out of necessity.  In most games this year we have given up a tremendous rebounding advantage in return for a quickness advantage with our frontcourt players.  That has led to us getting to the line a lot.  Also, our players know that they can't give up cheap fouls due to only having a 7 player rotation.  If they get beat and are out of position, in many cases they just give up the lay-up instead of fouling.

Also, we lose something on offense when we have Kyle Davis in the game, but he is a fantastic defender, and he affected Dunn's game heavily.  The rest of the team has played a hard-scrambling game on defense.  We had to do that this year because we have to attempt to double the post with no player over 6'6".  Defensively, we were a very unique team this year.  Providence wasn't ready for those small-ball match-ups.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:40:29 AM by UDfan »

feedback