[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Draft - Chicago  (Read 3779 times)

MU4Life

• Walk-On
NFL Draft - Chicago
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »
Long time reader, infrequent poster (obviously), but I was hoping to throw this out here and see if anyone could help me out, since I know a lot of you are from or currently live in/around the Chicago area.  I am planning on heading down with a few of my buddies to the NFL draft in Chicago in a few weeks.  We are also planning on heading over to Wrigley during the day since the Brewers play the Cubs and we are all Brewers fans (tough to admit right now).  I travel to Chicago a few times a year with my wife/kids and we usually book a hotel through Hotwire and have always had really good luck on getting relatively cheap rooms right on Michigan Ave, or close to it, so we are able to walk or cab it pretty much anywhere we want to go. 

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me:

1. We normally drive down and park our car at the hotel, and like I said above, walk or take cabs anywhere we need to go.  I am wondering if taking the Amtrak down would be a better idea in regards to being a cheaper and easier alternative to having to drive and deal with traffic and also the cost of parking is obviously not cheap downtown either.  I live in Germantown, so getting to the Amtrak station is obviously easy. 

2. This one kind of ties in with number 1....what is the best way to get from downtown out to Wrigley??  I am guessing even if we drive, that taking a car there would be a bad idea??  Is it easy to navigate the "L" train to and from Wrigley??  I am guessing a cab would be much more expensive and then you would have to deal with traffic too?? 

3. I noticed online that there are tickets available for the Cubs/Brewers game, would you suggest getting tix ahead of time, or can you usually find "better" seats outside of the stadium before the game?? 

Any other thoughts/suggestions I would really appreciate.  Thanks..........

Pakuni

• All American
Re: NFL Draft - Chicago
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
Long time reader, infrequent poster (obviously), but I was hoping to throw this out here and see if anyone could help me out, since I know a lot of you are from or currently live in/around the Chicago area.  I am planning on heading down with a few of my buddies to the NFL draft in Chicago in a few weeks.  We are also planning on heading over to Wrigley during the day since the Brewers play the Cubs and we are all Brewers fans (tough to admit right now).  I travel to Chicago a few times a year with my wife/kids and we usually book a hotel through Hotwire and have always had really good luck on getting relatively cheap rooms right on Michigan Ave, or close to it, so we are able to walk or cab it pretty much anywhere we want to go. 

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me:

1. We normally drive down and park our car at the hotel, and like I said above, walk or take cabs anywhere we need to go.  I am wondering if taking the Amtrak down would be a better idea in regards to being a cheaper and easier alternative to having to drive and deal with traffic and also the cost of parking is obviously not cheap downtown either.  I live in Germantown, so getting to the Amtrak station is obviously easy. 

2. This one kind of ties in with number 1....what is the best way to get from downtown out to Wrigley??  I am guessing even if we drive, that taking a car there would be a bad idea??  Is it easy to navigate the "L" train to and from Wrigley??  I am guessing a cab would be much more expensive and then you would have to deal with traffic too?? 

3. I noticed online that there are tickets available for the Cubs/Brewers game, would you suggest getting tix ahead of time, or can you usually find "better" seats outside of the stadium before the game?? 

Any other thoughts/suggestions I would really appreciate.  Thanks..........

1. If you don't want/need a car to get around once you're in town, taking the Amtrak would be fine.
2. Getting to Wrigley from downtown on the 'L' is a piece of cake. Just take the Red Line north to Addison.
3. Been a long time since I bought from a scalper at Wrigley, but it was easy and cheap (if you were willing to wait until the last minute) on weekday afternoon games back then.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
1. Amtrak is fine. Unless you want to stay at a hotel somewhere around Union Station, you will need to hop a cab to where you want to stay from there. You will have no problem finding one, they line up on Canal St and are generally plentiful.

2. Unless you are intimately familiar with the area around Wrigley Field, especially considering construction, don't drive. Parking is easier than it used to be, but if you're staying in the downtown area it will be simplest to take the Red Line there.

3. Have never bought tickets from a scalper outside the ballpark. I believe the new Cubs ownership has cracked down on them fairly severely so I'm not sure how available they are on the street anymore. Stubhub can be pretty reasonable for good seats early in the season and I believe there are pickup locations near the ballpark.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »
Everything above I agree with. Amtrak is ~$42 round trip, and several trips each direction every day. Very easy, and unlike airport don't have to be there more than 10 mins before departure time. Print tickets at home ahead of time.

The red line is super easy and drops you right off at Wrigley. ~20 min train ride from the loop.

I've scalped easily many times in the last couple years for afternoon games. Walk up and down sheffield and addison. Be willing to walk away. Lowball your opening offer. Brewers Cubs might sell more bc of the Brewers and the Cubs being much better this year, but I've seen signs in the ticket resale businesses this year advertising tickets for less than face value. 

My experience is for the price scalpingat the park has been a better 'value' the last few seasons. Haven't tried yet this year. Know the sections and places to avoid (obstructed views) ahead of time. You can google this for good advice on sight lines.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:26:19 PM by mugrad2006 »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
As has been mentioned, the Red Line to Wrigley couldn't be easier, but cabs aren't terrible from downtown either. If you come up Lake Shore, there will rarely be traffic until you get a few blocks away, at which point you can just hop out and walk.

I've heard downtown hotels are getting sparse and steep for that week, so may want to book that quickly.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
Lots of good info.  Don't bring your car given your plans. Amtrack to Union Station.

Are you familiar with Uber?  They're pretty darn cheap in Chicago.  Red line to Wrigley.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
Lots of good info.  Don't bring your car given your plans. Amtrack to Union Station.

Are you familiar with Uber?  They're pretty darn cheap in Chicago.  Red line to Wrigley.

The issue with Uber that weekend could be surge pricing. I'd stick to a marked cab to avoid surprises.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »
A buddy was selling an extra ticket and a couple of undercover cops gave him a hard time.  Didn't give him a ticket, but explained that it was in his best interest to step inside an establishment to complete the transaction and not to sell on the street.

If Amtrak is convenient for you and it isn't a large group, it is efficient and economical.  Hotels now charge in the 40 to 60 range per night for parking.  So, I'd do Amtrak if it's convenient. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 02:47:30 PM »
Chicago is a terrible driving town. Leave your car home. You'll be glad you did.

The Red Line stop lets out practically at Wrigley's back door. Couldn't be more convenient.

In addition to the L, lots of buses also are convenient.

The walk from DT to the Red Line isn't bad. If the weather's decent, it's actually pleasant. Depending upon what time the game ends, though, you might want to treat yourself to a cab.

Enjoy!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU4Life

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
Wow...thanks for all the info everyone...really appreciate it!!  So, I am definitely a novice when it comes to the L Train, so what is the easiest way to get tickets to ride the "Red" line train??  I am guessing you can just use some sort of vending type machine to purchase tickets at the station??  Also, I am guessing there are multiple stops in the downtown area that we could just walk to?? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 03:00:23 PM »
Wow...thanks for all the info everyone...really appreciate it!!  So, I am definitely a novice when it comes to the L Train, so what is the easiest way to get tickets to ride the "Red" line train??  I am guessing you can just use some sort of vending type machine to purchase tickets at the station??  Also, I am guessing there are multiple stops in the downtown area that we could just walk to??  

Passes:

https://www.ventrachicago.com/purchase/

Red line map:

http://www.transitchicago.com/redline/#map

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
As far as using the L, Google maps will provide public transit maps point to point including walking. It'll give options for buses and trains. Downtown you should be no more than a 10 min walk to a red line stop in any direction

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »
As far as using the L, Google maps will provide public transit maps point to point including walking. It'll give options for buses and trains. Downtown you should be no more than a 10 min walk to a red line stop in any direction.

Hilltop

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
The issue with Uber that weekend could be surge pricing. I'd stick to a marked cab to avoid surprises.

If Uber is at 1.5 or below surge it will probably still be cheaper than a normal cab.  But if your are going to Wrigley and are anywhere near the red line, like everyone has said, then take that since it is super easy and you won't get stuck in traffic.  All you have to do is follow the crowds.

Regarding buying from scalpers, they might not be as obvious as in the past, but there are still plenty out there, they just keep moving and deals can still be had, especially during the week before school is out.

MU4Life

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »
Thanks again for all the help.  I actually got the Hyatt Regency on Hotwire for around $120/night.  I thought that was a pretty solid deal and a great location for what we have planned.  It looks like it is pretty close to Grant Park (site of NFL Draft Town) and from looking at google maps, seems pretty close to a "Red" line stop too??  Should be a great time!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 07:27:52 AM »
Thanks again for all the help.  I actually got the Hyatt Regency on Hotwire for around $120/night.  I thought that was a pretty solid deal and a great location for what we have planned.  It looks like it is pretty close to Grant Park (site of NFL Draft Town) and from looking at google maps, seems pretty close to a "Red" line stop too??  Should be a great time!!

Nice location.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hyatt+Regency+Chicago,+151+E+Upper+Wacker+Dr,+Chicago,+IL+60601,+United+States/Wrigley+Field,+West+Addison+Street,+Chicago,+IL/@41.9168719,-87.6770587,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x880e2ca924587447:0x880c1ae8574967ef!2m2!1d-87.6227!2d41.8877!1m5!1m1!1s0x880fd3b2e59adf21:0x1cea3ee176ddd646!2m2!1d-87.655333!2d41.948438!3e3

feedback