[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart to Texas!  (Read 51361 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Re: Shaka Smart to Texas!
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »
You mean like the what's happening at VCU tonight?

...and what has happened to Crean and Buzz here. Seven years later we still love to hate Crean. Pathetic and yet, maybe a symptom of how the sports system is broken. Fans want loyalty and it just does not exist. Easy to criticize the fans, but then maybe the real problem is the system which rewards coaches, players, etc for not being loyal.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2015, 11:29:41 AM »
Destination job is what you make it.

Boeheim decided Syracuse was a destination job for him, he stayed.
Colhoun at Uconn
K at Duke
Few at Gonzaga
Bo at Bucky
Izzo at MSU
JT3 at G-town
Wright at Nova
Dixon at Pitt
Self at Kansas
Pitino at Louisville
Donovan at Fla

Some of these programs were not destination jobs before these names arrived.

All of the above passed on better opportunities (NBA) and potentially more money.

If Wojo can (1)recruit, (2) do well and (3) his family likes Milwaukee, no reason to leave.  But first, these three things have to happen and show they can continue to happen.

I agree. Interesting that UCLA or Indiana is not on that list as a "destination" program. The most important aspect to me is that the school administration must have a commitment to the "program" and hire a coach that will lead that program to success on the court as well in the classroom. I believe MU has done that and will continue to be a high major player in college basketball. Will Wojo be that coach? I don''t know but he is heading us in the right direction. In the next few seasons will know.

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Here is an interesting take on the Shaka hire (written shortly before it was announced) by the Oregonian's sports editor.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/04/canzano_shaka_smart_has_no_ide.html

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »
TAMU is tough to like because it is a university that closes minds, as opposed to opening them.  They belong in the SEC with Miss, AL, Auburn, etc...  UT is public Ivy in the only cool town in Texas.  I hope Shaka does well.  It would be nice to see the Kansas applecart get overturned a bit by beevo.  Rick Barnes was never going to be that guy.

Care to elaborate? I would love to hear more about how my coworkers and I are bad at our jobs  :)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »
...and what has happened to Crean and Buzz here. Seven years later we still love to hate Crean. Pathetic and yet, maybe a symptom of how the sports system is broken. Fans want loyalty and it just does not exist. Easy to criticize the fans, but then maybe the real problem is the system which rewards coaches, players, etc for not being loyal.

Although most I have talked to in Richmond seem to be supportive of Shaka's decision, the sentiment on the VCU forums is completely different. I anticipate the long-term reaction to be similar to the Buzz/Crean debacles (although I'd argue that Shaka's departure was more amicable). My feelings are mixed.

One of the VCU bloggers put it well: Shaka's charisma and outstanding recruiting ability covered up for his average to slightly above average X & O skills. Havoc is not a "gimmick" and I'm sure he will adjust his system for the B12 but his recent tourney results and inability to win a reg. season championship in six years left many fans yearning for more.

It was silly of me to think that Shaka was not talking to Marquette a year ago. You live and you learn though, I suppose. Hope VCU makes the right hire, both programs can succeed moving forward, and Marquette supporters can forgive a small portion of the VCU fan-base for their hubris last year. It's better to build a program around the program itself, not a cult figure.

Shaka did more for VCU athletics and the city of Richmond than any other coach in program history and those of us who live here will always remember that. Time to move on though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:36:55 PM by Wisco »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »
TAMU is tough to like because it is a university that closes minds, as opposed to opening them.  They belong in the SEC with Miss, AL, Auburn, etc...  UT is public Ivy in the only cool town in Texas.  I hope Shaka does well.  It would be nice to see the Kansas applecart get overturned a bit by beevo.  Rick Barnes was never going to be that guy.

TAMU is a great university.  Yeah College Station sucks, but A&M is very very good.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
Superbar
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2015, 02:51:08 PM »
Superbar

Crap, here comes Wades, ranking officer of the Superbar police

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
Crap, here comes Wades, ranking officer of the Superbar police

Yeah I look something like that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2015, 03:13:47 PM »
Back to Shaka and Texas:

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Former head coach Darrin Horn will join Shaka Smart's staff at Texas as an assistant coach, a source tells Scout.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »
There is likely only 1 gig Wojo would leave for.

I can't imagine him jumping to another ACC school, and I'm not sure if the B10 is really a draw for him (I suppose if somebody backed up the Brinks truck, he might be interested, but doesn't seem likely).

Also, if in 5 years, Wojo does take the Duke job, I'm fine with that. That means he will have kicked ass at MU for 5 seasons, and we'll go find another guy.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you BTW. I think Wojo was a terrific hire based upon what you said, as well as MU's ability to retain him.

Just to circle back to this... I guess I've thought about it some more.

I'm not predicting the Wojo is some sort of MU lifer, but he also isn't the professional nomad that MU's previous coach was. Wojo likely could have had a head gig a long time ago, but waited until he had an opportunity he really wanted.

Wojo's track record doesn't indicate that he's on a mission for fame and fortune like some other coaches.

Now, in 5 years, if Maryland offers him an unGodly amount of money, maybe he'll leave. I don't know.

Any school that comes hard after Wojo will have to prove that it's really a better opportunity for his long term goals. I don't think he's going to be attracted because "it's Indiana, it's Indiana" or because it's the ACC and they have a better television deal. It will have to legitimately be a better opportunity for him and his family. I don't think he's just going to leave for a perceived "upgrade".

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2015, 04:54:08 PM »
Back to Shaka and Texas:

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Former head coach Darrin Horn will join Shaka Smart's staff at Texas as an assistant coach, a source tells Scout.

He's been with the SEC Network and ESPN pravda prior to that these last few years. To get back into the coaching world at Texas is a pretty good gig for Darrin.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »
I for one can't wait until the day our head coach is back being mentioned with every job opening.  You're doing well if you're in that position.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »
I for one can't wait until the day our head coach is back being mentioned with every job opening.  You're doing well if you're in that position.

It will be interesting to see how much of that we get.

Crean allegedly was the one leaking his name (let's not have that argument, guys), and Buzz is a world class networker, so we know he was always up to hear from other schools.

Not sure if Wojo's name will be out there as much... but I guess we'll see how he and/or his agent operate.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »
Just to circle back to this... I guess I've thought about it some more.

I'm not predicting the Wojo is some sort of MU lifer, but he also isn't the professional nomad that MU's previous coach was. Wojo likely could have had a head gig a long time ago, but waited until he had an opportunity he really wanted.

Wojo's track record doesn't indicate that he's on a mission for fame and fortune like some other coaches.

Now, in 5 years, if Maryland offers him an unGodly amount of money, maybe he'll leave. I don't know.

Any school that comes hard after Wojo will have to prove that it's really a better opportunity for his long term goals. I don't think he's going to be attracted because "it's Indiana, it's Indiana" or because it's the ACC and they have a better television deal. It will have to legitimately be a better opportunity for him and his family. I don't think he's just going to leave for a perceived "upgrade".

Right now, today, my thoughts are that MU is probably not Wojo's dream destination. But it happens to be a great job for him/his family and the opening coincided with a time in his life where he felt ready to jump to a HC job. My guess is that he leaves for whatever he thinks his dream jobs is (if he's ever offered - my guess is blue blood) or when he either accomplishes all he set out to do at MU or accomplishes all he thinks he can at MU.