[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA: Expansion to 72 idea  (Read 2739 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
NCAA: Expansion to 72 idea
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
I know there is always resistance when the NCAA Tournament expands. We didn't want 65, we didn't want 68, and there's now talk that they should go back to 64 after Dayton got a home game in the First Four. I'm curious to see what people think of this idea. Not sure it's really my idea, but I cobbled it together from reading numerous articles and Twitter feeds this week.

The Selection Committee would be able to give the four new bids out as "Champions Exemptions". They would go to regular season conference champions that did not win their conference tournament. Those teams would be seeded against teams that were not conference champions but did win their tournament bid. They could either go to the lowest seeded teams or to teams in the 13-15 range.

The new games would be played at a neutral site that was not Dayton. I think Omaha, in Nebraska where Creighton always draws fans, would be good, but St. Louis, Kansas City, or even somewhere further west would be fine too. Both sites would host one 16-seed play in, one at-large play-in, and two champions exemption play-ins. This way the committee can ensure that no matter who is playing in those games, they can be seeded on a neutral court.

This would allow a second way for teams like Murray State, Louisiana Tech, and Central Michigan to get into the Big Dance. It would not affect the bubble as these would come from teams that weren't going to make the tournament anyway. It might take some juice out of the NIT, but it would also allow the NIT to pick more of the "name" programs that might get left out because they are blocked by a regular season champ.

Thoughts?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: NCAA: Expansion to 72 idea
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »
I think we should do away with the auto bid for the tournament champion and make it the regular season champion instead. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »
I think we should do away with the auto bid for the tournament champion and make it the regular season champion instead. 

The decision about the Auto bid is up to the individual conferences. I have no doubt ratings in conference title games are almost completely tied into the bid being at stake. Don't see that changing.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »
It's not just a matter of whether people want more teams and more games. Just as important — if not more so — will people watch them?

I've been an MU season ticket holder for 20 years and watch more college basketball than any other sport. This is my favorite time of year. But I've barely watched any of the "First Four" games since the field expanded. It's difficult enough for Kentucky or Nova to hold my interest when they're stomping teams by 20, 30 or 40 points.

Eyeballs call the shots. It's not clear to me how adding more teams creates a more compelling product. Do you get excited about the idea of Arizona playing the 70th best team in the country?

If the NCAA thinks it can sell a bigger tournament (and I mean literally sell it to sponsors and advertisers), it'll happen. But I'm not buying.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 02:27:05 PM »
Bubble is soft enough, we don't need to add more schools.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
It's not just a matter of whether people want more teams and more games. Just as important — if not more so — will people watch them?

I've been an MU season ticket holder for 20 years and watch more college basketball than any other sport. This is my favorite time of year. But I've barely watched any of the "First Four" games since the field expanded. It's difficult enough for Kentucky or Nova to hold my interest when they're stomping teams by 20, 30 or 40 points.

Eyeballs call the shots. It's not clear to me how adding more teams creates a more compelling product. Do you get excited about the idea of Arizona playing the 70th best team in the country?

If the NCAA thinks it can sell a bigger tournament (and I mean literally sell it to sponsors and advertisers), it'll happen. But I'm not buying.

You're undebatably dead on with the need to sell it to sponsors and advertisers, but my guess is that it would be easier than you think.  The reason there is little-to-no interest in the "First Four" is because they are rarely (if ever) included in office pools.  When you expand to 72, those games make it on to everyone's bracket, and when it's on your bracket, you watch...

That said, I really hope this never happens. 
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »
Bubble is soft enough, we don't need to add more schools.

Did you read my post? This wouldn't affect the bubble. It would only add teams knocked out of conference tourneys and prevent another Dayton home game situation.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »
I didn't care to read in what you say. Go back to 64 teams.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 02:51:12 PM »
and prevent another Dayton home game situation.

Either way, they need to move the First Four out of the sticks.  Sprint Center in KC is centralized geographically for the quick travel turnaround, not a home arena for any team, plus the College Basketball HOF is in the building so that would be cute.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
All of this because Dayton got a "home" game?

Seems to me that journalists who struggle to write meaningful stories re-hash this conversation every year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »

Everyone get a load of Mr. Hoity Toity Ivy League over here.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
32 or 64 Teams and that's it. Think mid and small mid major D-1 league champion should automatically be in not conference tourney
champ. Hate those DAM conference tourneys. Gives bad teams second chance who don't deserve to be in.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
Anyone saying 64 is denying simple financial realities. The conference tourneys make a lot of money for the conferences. They are the only way many small conferences ever get national exposure. They aren't going away.

By the same token, the field is not shrinking. No way the NCAA will give up the opportunity to make more money with extra games and no way the conferences will go along with less bids and less chances to earn tourney credits.

The field has always grown, never shrunk. Since expansion is inevitable, I feel this is more palatable than just giving four more ACC/Big 10/Big 12 teams a bid.