[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SHOCKED...SHOCKED I tell ya! UWM-MU game not sold out...not CLOSE  (Read 14525 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Hmmm, how many of us predicted that for the last 3 or 4 years....just about everyone.

SHOCKED!!   ::)

If you want some great reads, go to the UWM board and read the 5 page long thread that started after our first game of the season and how it changes tone as we progressed through the Maui, etc.

It's great psychology 101 clinical stuff to be sure.  And Fran, wow is he a card.  He is "so connected" to get those great tickets to this game, a game that must be the hardest in history to get....whew, I'm just glad he pulled it off.

As for the game, probably an interesting game with a 10-15 point final margin.  MU will be rusty, UWM's super bowl.  Game won't come close to selling out, as so many of us said on countless occassions.

http://uwmfreak.proboards5.com/index.cgi?board=Games&action=display&thread=1194886241

Wish I could see the game, I'll be in Dallas for Thursday night's football game and Friday won't have access to a tv.  Bring home a win Warriors.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:25:45 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
I, For One...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:29:45 PM »
don't give a rat's ass about this game. Its just another out-of-conference contest against a low mid-major. Was not in favor of legitimizing their schedule by playing them. Would have preferred Crean had stuck to his guns.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: SHOCKED...SHOCKED I tell ya! UWM-MU game not sold out...not CLOSE
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:30:41 PM »
But I thought every one in Wisconsin wanted to see this game played!  It was guaranteed to sell out!  (sarcasm off)

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:40:54 PM »
When a number of us MU fans were asking for the game (when Pearl had them in the Dance repeadtedy) the game would have came close to selling out but slowly but surely Pearl left, then energy left and most importantly his players left.

2-3 years ago this game would have been something, now not so much.   I for one misjudged UWM fans, I didn't think the bandwagon could possibly clear out so fast.  Their support borders on pathetic.

I do find it interesting though that some MU fans are glad that a Friday night game for a 11th ranked team who hasn't had a home game in 18 days and does not have another home for 15 more days isn't even close to selling out.  Shouldn't we be disgusted by that fact?  One home game in a month and it's on a Friday and we can't come close to a sell out, what's the problem?
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:02:59 PM »
As a season ticket holder I am glad we are playing the game. Would much rather see MU play UWM then Florida A@M or Maryland Baltimore County.

I agree with the last poster.

This MU team is good and its fun to watch.

Its a shame that we can only have great crowds for BE games.

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:07:33 PM »
I was actually impressed by the thoroughness of most of the posts.  There was a lot of good analysis.  You also didn't hear the whining and advance excuse making about officiating and coach intimidation like you hear on this site.  No wisecracks about the lame handling of our nickname the last few years - just pure hoops.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »
I was actually impressed by the thoroughness of most of the posts.  There was a lot of good analysis.  You also didn't hear the whining and advance excuse making about officiating and coach intimidation like you hear on this site.  No wisecracks about the lame handling of our nickname the last few years - just pure hoops.

Yes, they are quite a sophisticated fan base aren't they?  Give me break...

Stop whining about people whining....if you thought the officiating was balanced for the Duke game you have your own problems.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 11:01:04 PM »
Here's a quote from the first page of the "pure hoops" UWM message board thread.

"Anyone see the Marquette IUPUI game when the student section had giant swirling signs? i thought that was illegal? Ive seen people get kicked out for less. and fox 6 kept calling IUPUI ewiepewie, it was really lame."

I fail to see the point of praising UWM's message board on your own team's message board, especially when UWM's board is criticizing students for being involved in the game.

If you don't want to read about the Warriors nickname debate, don't click on the link. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 11:35:56 PM »
If this game doesn't sell out, when will it?

More fodder for the MU AD to nix future match-ups.

At this moment, they're surely shaking a finger at the UWM AD saying, "I told you so."
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 12:45:16 AM »
When a number of us MU fans were asking for the game (when Pearl had them in the Dance repeadtedy) the game would have came close to selling out but slowly but surely Pearl left, then energy left and most importantly his players left.

2-3 years ago this game would have been something, now not so much.   I for one misjudged UWM fans, I didn't think the bandwagon could possibly clear out so fast.  Their support borders on pathetic.

I do find it interesting though that some MU fans are glad that a Friday night game for a 11th ranked team who hasn't had a home game in 18 days and does not have another home for 15 more days isn't even close to selling out.  Shouldn't we be disgusted by that fact?  One home game in a month and it's on a Friday and we can't come close to a sell out, what's the problem?

Disgusted by the fact we can't sell out a game on a Friday night against UWM?  Hardly.  I don't see 99% of other major programs selling out 19,100 seat stadiums for a buy game on a Friday night either.  If we had a 13,000 seat arena...maybe.  Not 19000 on a Friday night against a buy opponent in a major town, too many other things to do, too many options.

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »
Get some thicker skin and read all 5 pages of the thread instead of picking out one post.  The overall consensus is that UWM is overmatched. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »
I'm going. I think it will be fun. I don't care that much about UWM, but its better than some random team like Delaware State or something. At least there's the Milwaukee connection.

I'd rather we played Loyola-Chicago or Creighton or SLU or one of the other midwestern Catholic schools. Dayton would be a good game. Xavier would as well.

I put the line at 10 points in MU's favor.
We Are Marquette

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »
This will be a sellout game when Marquette makes it's return to the Mecca.  Thats probably it and I'm looking forward to it. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 12:30:22 PM »
Isn't the old floor in a museum somewhere? Can that get busted out for the MECCA return?

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 02:14:36 PM »
I think that the new TV deal might actually hurt attendance figures, specifically for non-conference games against weak opponents. Why would I want to spend 20 bucks on some crappy 400 level ticket to see a blow out, when I can just sit on my couch or at a bar and watch the game?

Secret of the Ouse

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 02:31:34 PM »
i dont know about non student MU fans, but from what i've gathered, most of the students of MU are pretty excited about this game.  its a friday night before the last week of classes before we have finals, so i think everyone will be out to have a good time.  I think the student section will be filled at least 3/4 of the upper bowl, maybe even totally full

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »
i dont know about non student MU fans, but from what i've gathered, most of the students of MU are pretty excited about this game.  its a friday night before the last week of classes before we have finals, so i think everyone will be out to have a good time.  I think the student section will be filled at least 3/4 of the upper bowl, maybe even totally full

MU's student section will be tremendous.......meanwhile, the folks at UWM are planning a game watching party at the Klotsche Center.  honest. 

WTF

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 03:02:52 PM »

MU's student section will be tremendous.......meanwhile, the folks at UWM are planning a game watching party at the Klotsche Center.  honest. 

I thought you were joking but nope!  Here's the link:

http://uwmfreak.proboards5.com/index.cgi?board=Games&action=display&thread=1194020914

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 03:08:29 PM »
Wow.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »
I'll say decent student section, average rest of the arena.  UWM thinks they can bring us revenue w/ these games cuz they'll be sellouts....it's pretty obvious they won't be.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 03:53:07 PM »
I generally consider anyone in college who runs up the score an ass but after reading pages 6 and 7 of this thread I am all for it if possible!

http://uwmfreak.proboards5.com/index.cgi?board=Games&action=display&thread=1194020914

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
Do you really think the unbalanced Marquette fans in that thread are putting our fanbase in a good light?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »
I love the comment about Marquette not allowing UWM section and the hint that this is why the game will not sell out.  In other words, it has nothing to do with people wanting to go to the game... the Marquette athletic dept. shot themselves in the foot and that is why the game will not sell out.   ::)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 04:03:32 PM »
I think the Marquette fans are more balanced than crap like this:

The half dozen MU internet lunatics can complain all they want. No sympathy here. MU ducked us for years. They finally succumbed to the public demand for the game. The internet lunatics claim there was no public demand. Really? Well then either Cords and Crean got hornswoggled or they independently determined this was a good series for MU. Your choice, internet lunatics.

I actually believe that the BC is too big for Marquette. The place is a "tomb" for most of the games, and they only get it packed for Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and a couple other Big East games a year. This is one problem MU has that doesn't get solved by scheduling tougher teams.

If Marquette ends up in the top 25 (EDIT: in attendance) year in a year out I see no reason why a building the size of the Bradley Center is too big.  Do you think Syracuse sells out the Carrier Dome?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:09:21 PM by TallTitan34 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »
Do you really think the unbalanced Marquette fans in that thread are putting our fanbase in a good light?

uncle john from the darkside doesn't make things look good. There's no reason for any of us to be posting over there.

However, there are some hilarious posts on there.