Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does MU expect Anyone To Leave The Team?  (Read 16977 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Does MU expect Anyone To Leave The Team?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
When did the rule change? Players were doing that as recently as 8 years ago.

I'm not entirely sure but the rule now is a 2 sport athlete who plays football must use the scholarship in football. It's the same with basketball. If a 2 sport athlete plays both football and basketball, the football scholarship must be used.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 10:41:06 PM »
I'm not entirely sure but the rule now is a 2 sport athlete who plays football must use the scholarship in football. It's the same with basketball. If a 2 sport athlete plays both football and basketball, the football scholarship must be used.

Ah. Ok. I have a friend that played two sports (non bball fball) and he was a scholarship player in one and a walk-one for the other. That's what I was going off of.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 11:13:47 PM »
When did the rule change? Players were doing that as recently as 8 years ago.

That was the rule going back at least to the mid 1990's when I was in college athletics.  We had to deal with it for Marcus West who played on the MU soccer team and the MU basketball team....he was counted as a MU bball player.  The rule is in place to prevent teams from stacking other sports with players for their squads.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on the Miami Hurricanes not long ago stating that Santana Moss on the Canes football team was on a track scholarship.  That is true, but what they failed to state is that as soon as he joined the football program, he was immediately put on a football scholarship.  I've read a number of times where fans reference this ESPN story, but it was not properly explained.  The rule goes back to at least 1995, but if I had to guess it goes much further back than that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
That's not true. An athlete can play as many sports as he wants.

The old Jimmy Johnson trick - exceed the football scholly limit of 25 per year and stash the extras on another team. He perfected the practice. WRs used to get track scholarships but their sole focus was football.

Incorrect, as I just explained.  Santana Moss example...once he played a single down in a game, it's over, and his other sports scholarship is revoked.

Here's the article, and this goes back to 1997

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-09-19/sports/9709190027_1_scholarship-aaron-moser-santana-moss

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
That was the rule going back at least to the mid 1990's when I was in college athletics.  We had to deal with it for Marcus West who played on the MU soccer team and the MU basketball team....he was counted as a MU bball player.  The rule is in place to prevent teams from stacking other sports with players for their squads.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on the Miami Hurricanes not long ago stating that Santana Moss on the Canes football team was on a track scholarship.  That is true, but what they failed to state is that as soon as he joined the football program, he was immediately put on a football scholarship.  I've read a number of times where fans reference this ESPN story, but it was not properly explained.  The rule goes back to at least 1995, but if I had to guess it goes much further back than that.

Interesting. Thanks. Johnson last coached in 88 so that rule definitely doesn't go back that far. I'm guessing he was the catalyst for the new rule.

What about Tony Gonzalez? He left college in 97 and played two sports...

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:46 PM »
The link u provides is funny; the NCAA might as call it the Jimmy Johnson rule-

"That rule is in place to keep schools from recruiting football players and hiding them with scholarships in other sports, thereby getting around the limit of 85 football scholarships."

I was a huge fan of "Da U."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 07:17:57 AM »
Interesting. Thanks. Johnson last coached in 88 so that rule definitely doesn't go back that far. I'm guessing he was the catalyst for the new rule.

What about Tony Gonzalez? He left college in 97 and played two sports...

Tony Gonzalez, Julius Peppers, Donovan McNabb, and Chris Chambers were all football players that walked on to their college basketball teams.  Marquette should start football just to stash 85 players for basketball.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 07:19:45 AM »
Can a rising senior transfer and still have eligibility after his year of sitting out (not talking about grad transfers)? In other words, is someone like STJ "stuck" on MU because any transfer would burn his last year of eligibility?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 07:50:25 AM »
Can a rising senior transfer and still have eligibility after his year of sitting out (not talking about grad transfers)? In other words, is someone like STJ "stuck" on MU because any transfer would burn his last year of eligibility?

A player who hasn't used a redshirt year could transfer and sit out, playing as a 5th year senior in 2016-17.  Robert Jackson would be an example, between Mississippi State and MU.  Difficult to pull off without special circumstances, since a "rising senior" typically doesn't want to halt his rise by sitting out a year and hoping the new program is a fit, and unless they're convinced it's an impact player most programs will be hesitant to put a player on scholarship for two years to get one year of playing time.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
nm  Lazar's headband beat me to it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:01:25 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 07:55:55 AM »
If Wally were to fully commit to the High Jump in an effort to both win a national championship and both qualify for and compete at the Olympics I think the entire community would support him 100%. If that ends up being his decision,  could he accept whatever partial scholly is available for track and open up another basketball slot for an undetermined new player?

Currently, MU has two scholarships available.  If Wojo could fill three for next year (with players he actually wants) at this point, I would be completely floored.  It'd be more impressive than getting Ellenson, IMO.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:41 AM »
Another argument for restarting football.  We could stash extra basketball players on the football roster.

I said that a half hour ago.

Tony Gonzalez, Julius Peppers, Donovan McNabb, and Chris Chambers were all football players that walked on to their college basketball teams.  Marquette should start football just to stash 85 players for basketball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
A player who hasn't used a redshirt year could transfer and sit out, playing as a 5th year senior in 2016-17.  Robert Jackson would be an example, between Mississippi State and MU.  Difficult to pull off without special circumstances, since a "rising senior" typically doesn't want to halt his rise by sitting out a year and hoping the new program is a fit, and unless they're convinced it's an impact player most programs will be hesitant to put a player on scholarship for two years to get one year of playing time.

When you say "difficult to pull off" I think you mean you feel it's diificult to find schools and/or players willing to do this?

It's simple to do.

Colton Iverson from Minn to Colo St is a good example of a quality player doing this recently.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
Interesting theory about Wally. Is the general consensus that STjr and JJJ won't go anywhere due a combination if reasons(who would take them, sitting out etc...)? What about Sandy, is he happy? He is the only other guy I could see leaving. I personally hope they all stay. I would love for STjr and JJJ be a pleasant surprise next year for the Warriors.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
When you say "difficult to pull off" I think you mean you feel it's diificult to find schools and/or players willing to do this?

It's simple to do.

Colton Iverson from Minn to Colo St is a good example of a quality player doing this recently.

Agreed. It's not really difficult to pull off, but it's not a common occurrence. More uncommon than difficult.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »
Asked about Wally possibly leaving the program to pursue track and got in return
"LOL. He's definitely not leaving."
Take that for what it's worth.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
I hope not as well. If not JJJ or Wally that leaves Sandy.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
Asked about Wally possibly leaving the program to pursue track and got in return
"LOL. He's definitely not leaving."
Take that for what it's worth.

He's made it pretty clear that he is at Marquette to play with his brother and to pursue his passion for basketball.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:26 PM »
Since Wades hasn't said it yet...

Respect the Process.

No one has decided that they are transferring yet. One or two might decide to transfer in the future.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
Since Wades hasn't said it yet...

Respect the Process.

No one has decided that they are transferring yet. One or two might decide to transfer in the future.

One or two. Hmmm... Steve Taylor Jr, Luke or Duane? Not likely. Wally or the freshmen? No. That leaves (drum roll) JJJ (no.1 candidate as he has been forever) and Sandy (no.2, glued to the bench at year's end). Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this stuff out.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »
Sandy (no.2, glued to the bench at year's end).

Sandy scored his last point of the season on February 25th. Wojo wouldn't run off his only freshman would he?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 12:52:02 PM »

Sandy scored his last point of the season on February 25th. Wojo wouldn't run off his only freshman would he?

I don't think if Sandy transfers, he would be "run off."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »

I don't think if Sandy transfers, he would be "run off."

Yup, Wojo wont run somebody off when theres still two open scholarships and hes the only player in his year.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
Frankly, I don't see Wojo running anybody off. It's not his style.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »
I don't really get the discussion about who is going to transfer...just let it play out. These kids don't really deserve to be speculated about in this manner. Sure, I get that transfers happen, and it is worthy of discussion, but at least wait until the kid announces before we talk about "running off" guys currently on MU's roster. Pretty much every guy who is supposed to return is going to have a real role on the team, so I think there is real chance we don't see any roster movement from the returning guys. Here is to hoping that is the case..

Now, I am all for the roster-bation with guys from other programs who have already stated their intent to transfer.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback