[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Official Transfer Thread  (Read 209182 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Official Transfer Thread
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  3h3 hours ago
URI's Jarelle Reischel, Biggie Minnis, and Matt Butler will transfer, per the school. Reischel and Minnis will be eligible next season.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »
Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster  3h3 hours ago
Kethan Savage is transferring from George Washington, per the school. Big time athlete, double-figure scorer. One year of eligibility left.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  3h3 hours ago
GW's Kethan Savage will transfer, per the school. One year of eligibility remaining. HUGE A 10 news.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »
Savage is a nice player
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2015, 07:59:27 PM »
That was your interpretation to that? Me thinking he shouldn't take time to sort it out?

Not the fact that we have a 1/75 chance?

I don't buy that Marquette' program has 75 peers.  I give MU a 1 in 7 shot.  On the plus side, we've got Wojo (who does have great cred) and a history of success with grad transfers.  On the down side, some other programs will have a more experienced team to surround him with.

Both of you are underselling our chances. Respect the process
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »

Well I gave us a 1/75 so Id hope I'm underselling lol

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »
Well I gave us a 1/75 so Id hope I'm underselling lol

But if 1/7 is underselling our chances then I'm at least somewhat optimistic. Or just downright giddy.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2015, 11:23:11 PM »
But if 1/7 is underselling our chances then I'm at least somewhat optimistic. Or just downright giddy.

Very true!!! But I don't think TAMU has a source on this one. I think it's wojo optimism. Which isn't a bad approach.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2015, 11:57:11 PM »
Very true!!! But I don't think TAMU has a source on this one. I think it's wojo optimism. Which isn't a bad approach.

Now you're underselling me  ;)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2015, 01:31:34 AM »

Good to hear.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »
Lee supposedly wants to go to a program that "needs me more than wants me and will help showcase my abilities".

If that is his top priority. He should def strongly consider MU. Badly needed and would be given a great shot to showcase himself as the go to guy(even over hank) from day 1.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2015, 07:18:24 AM »
Lee supposedly wants to go to a program that "needs me more than wants me and will help showcase my abilities".

If that is his top priority. He should def strongly consider MU. Badly needed and would be given a great shot to showcase himself as the go to guy(even over hank) from day 1.
Lesseee--we would be obligated to showcase the abilities of Hank, Lee, Fischer, Duane, Cheatham. That would be more showcases than Zale's. Does that fit into the Wojo/Duke philosophy?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
Savage is a nice player

Saw a lot of him the last couple of years following GW (John Kopriva Jr captain of the team; Marquette High product; son of two MU grads; second team academic all american this year)  Savage is a decent all around guard.  Good handle, can get to the basket, rebounds, lousy 3 point shot.  Wouldn't pursue this one too hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #338 on: April 04, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »
Saw a lot of him the last couple of years following GW (John Kopriva Jr captain of the team; Marquette High product; son of two MU grads; second team academic all american this year)  Savage is a decent all around guard.  Good handle, can get to the basket, rebounds, lousy 3 point shot.  Wouldn't pursue this one too hard.

Savage supposedly wants to go somewhere that will let him play the point exclusively. I'd much rather an actual PG like Anthony Collins, Jordan Daniels, or Austin McBroom. If we're going to take a combo guard, Adam Smith or Trey Lewis seem like better bets than Savage.

Lesseee--we would be obligated to showcase the abilities of Hank, Lee, Fischer, Duane, Cheatham. That would be more showcases than Zale's. Does that fit into the Wojo/Duke philosophy?

I don't think anyone expects Cheatham to be "showcased" this year. Duane and Fischer will start. Ellenson and Lee would likely join them. Not sure who'd be at the point, but unless it was another scoring guard, there'd be plenty of shots for him to show what he can do. Out of those four, I'd expect Duane and Lee to be the two most likely to lead the team in scoring.

Lee does shoot a lot. He took a higher percentage of his team's shots than any Marquette player since Hayward on the Lazar and the Midgets team. But he also converts those shots. His eFG% has been over 51% in all three of his complete seasons and he's a career 37% shooter from three. I would expect some dropoff going from the CAA to the Big East, but Duane is already accustomed to being a second option after a year with Carlino. I think we're a great fit for Lee.

And while there are probably 20-30 teams that can make just as compelling an argument, I don't think he'd find shots as easy to come by at Maryland (Trimble, Layman, Carter all had 22.0+ Shot Percentage) and some of his other big name suitors. The one that is most worrisome may be Louisville, with Blackshear and Jones gone and Harrell and Rozier headed for the pros. Regardless, as TAMU points out, we do offer a good scenario. I agree that we are a real player here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #339 on: April 04, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
Savage supposedly wants to go somewhere that will let him play the point exclusively. I'd much rather an actual PG like Anthony Collins, Jordan Daniels, or Austin McBroom. If we're going to take a combo guard, Adam Smith or Trey Lewis seem like better bets than Savage.

I don't think anyone expects Cheatham to be "showcased" this year. Duane and Fischer will start. Ellenson and Lee would likely join them. Not sure who'd be at the point, but unless it was another scoring guard, there'd be plenty of shots for him to show what he can do. Out of those four, I'd expect Duane and Lee to be the two most likely to lead the team in scoring.

Lee does shoot a lot. He took a higher percentage of his team's shots than any Marquette player since Hayward on the Lazar and the Midgets team. But he also converts those shots. His eFG% has been over 51% in all three of his complete seasons and he's a career 37% shooter from three. I would expect some dropoff going from the CAA to the Big East, but Duane is already accustomed to being a second option after a year with Carlino. I think we're a great fit for Lee.

And while there are probably 20-30 teams that can make just as compelling an argument, I don't think he'd find shots as easy to come by at Maryland (Trimble, Layman, Carter all had 22.0+ Shot Percentage) and some of his other big name suitors. The one that is most worrisome may be Louisville, with Blackshear and Jones gone and Harrell and Rozier headed for the pros. Regardless, as TAMU points out, we do offer a good scenario. I agree that we are a real player here.

Do you know if Marquette is in the running for Lewis?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #340 on: April 04, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »
Do you know if Marquette is in the running for Lewis?

Haven't heard anything about Lewis at all. Right now I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't end up at Louisville. With how quickly their name was circulated for him, it almost felt like they might have had an inkling he was transferring before it was announced. Of course, that would never happen...

If we go for a combo, I'd rather have Adam Smith. Not just because it'd be taking Buzz's leading scorer, but he's proven he can put up points against high-major defenses.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »

You make a good case, but the idea with Fischer, Duane and Hank (along with JJJ, Cheatham, Amin), and Lee, while looking good on paper, just does not have enough balls on the court (especially from what Lee is already saying) to satisfy all those people. Just sayin'.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
You make a good case, but the idea with Fischer, Duane and Hank (along with JJJ, Cheatham, Amin), and Lee, while looking good on paper, just does not have enough balls on the court (especially from what Lee is already saying) to satisfy all those people. Just sayin'.

Best players play. Simple as that.

EDIT: I'm not going to worry about having enough time or shots for the freshmen. They'll get what they earn. If they can force their way onto the court, great, but I wouldn't pencil Cheatham, Anim, or Heldt in for automatic minutes.

JJJ is the one guy that may expect time, but if he's choosing to stay, especially after seeing Burton and Dawson leave while also seeing a "hired gun" in Carlino come in, he should know that he'll have to earn his minutes. When challenged last year, it brought out the best in Jajuan. I would hope that a player like Lee would continue to bring out the best in him.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:59:36 AM by brewcity77 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 04, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
Best players play. Simple as that.

'xactly.  Lee was the 5th leading scorer in the country last year, and also averaged over 6 boards per game.  Sure he was at a lower level than the BE, but the kid can play and if we get him he will be able to showcase his talents big time here.  He'd be a 13-15 ppg guy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 04, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
There was a reason he took a lot of shots last year.  If he ends up at a higher level program, he is going to be shooting less no matter where.  If he wanted to continue shooting a lot, he would have stayed at Drexel.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 04, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »
There is also no telling what this would mean for JJJ anyways.

Wouldn't there be a chance that Wojo tries Duane and Lee together in the backcourt? Which keeps JJJs wing position open as a starter....assuming he beats out Sandy/Wally.

I know that's risky but didn't Lee have the ball in his hands a ton with minimal TOs?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 04, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »
There is also no telling what this would mean for JJJ anyways.

Wouldn't there be a chance that Wojo tries Duane and Lee together in the backcourt? Which keeps JJJs wing position open as a starter....assuming he beats out Sandy/Wally.

I know that's risky but didn't Lee have the ball in his hands a ton with minimal TOs?

I want JJJ to stay, but if getting Lee means he looks elsewhere then so be it. I'd take one year of Lee over two years of JJJ. Both being here would obviously be ideal.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #347 on: April 04, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »

It's not an impossible thought. I could see Duane playing as more of a lead guard. A lot will depend on the remaining scholarships. Currently, I'd expect Duane to get most of the minutes at the point with the only other option a freshman. If Wojo adds only Lee, I wouldn't see that changing. I still think they want another guard, though, which would likely be someone they expected to have the ball in his hands most of the time.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »
It's not an impossible thought. I could see Duane playing as more of a lead guard. A lot will depend on the remaining scholarships. Currently, I'd expect Duane to get most of the minutes at the point with the only other option a freshman. If Wojo adds only Lee, I wouldn't see that changing. I still think they want another guard, though, which would likely be someone they expected to have the ball in his hands most of the time.

Agreed. I think tge completely hypothetical situation of Lee being on the team makes someone like Collins that much more enticing. Hes not a big scorer but with Duane, Lee, Hank and Luke together he doesn't need to be. He has experience getting 5 assists a game for South Florida.

Just thought that if we didn't get another PG that Duane/Lee would be capable. Also while JJJ sure as heck can't be the primary ball handler, when we get in half court or the open court he has some excellent passing abities. So while no true point. That situation would leave us with 3 capable guards out there.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »
Agreed. I think tge completely hypothetical situation of Lee being on the team makes someone like Collins that much more enticing. Hes not a big scorer but with Duane, Lee, Hank and Luke together he doesn't need to be. He has experience getting 5 assists a game for South Florida.

+1

If I could pick any two players, it'd probably be Lee and Collins. I'm also a fan of Miller, but think it would be difficult to get all those guys to coexist.