'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What are the priorities now?  (Read 12208 times)

tower912

• All American
What are the priorities now?
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
With Anim in the fold, does this take the JUCO O'wing from Texas out of play?   Or do they bring different skill sets?  Can Anim play any PG?  How tall is he?  As a straight one-for-one trade for NN, did MU come out ahead?   Is Wojo still thinking PG and big wing?    What are the odds he banks a schollie?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:15:35 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: What are the priorities now?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »
Never stop recruitin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »
Maybe.
Yes.
Maybe.
Yes.
Yes.
3:2.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »
PG and rebounding wing. Hopefully can play immediately.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:38:37 PM »
A 6ft 8, 240 lbs power forward who can rebound and put fear under the boards.  No more skinny wings or guards, with exception of a PG. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »
@WisBBYearbook: Where will Marquette look in the spring for additional recruits with several still to give? Likely a PG and a rebounding/athletic forward.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 05:45:49 PM »
In terms of pure talent right now Noskowiak seems to be the better player from the little I have seen of each, but Anim definitely has his head on straight and by all accounts is a hard worker whose game is really blooming as of late.  Anim could potentially be the better player long term.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
A 6'6" 230-240lb guy wearing number 32 who can hit a trailer three and is also able to play center (See Lazar and Jae)

We need a guy down there that can literally will his team to victory with next to no help.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
I still think we will pursue O'Field. The way I see it, we have 3 needs for next year.

1) PG - Wojo has been pursuing HS players like Traci Carter and Damian Wilson as well add numerous JUCO points. Pretty sure this will be a top priority.

2) Scorer - The right PG (Dequon Miller) could full two roles, but this is the role Tyrone Outlaw or Maurice O'Field would play. Could see the staff looking at a grad transfer here, but I'm sure they want a 2/3 that can fill the basket. Personally, I'd like someone that can rebound here too.

3) Rebounder - Mark Miller mentioned today this will be a focus. Likely look JUCO or grad transfer, someone ready to play right away. Even a Dwight Burke type would help this team that can fight for boards and defend the paint.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »
PG and rebounding wing. Hopefully can play immediately.
Still concerned about how many wings we need. Next year we will have 6 (More than enough): Cheatham, Anim, Cohen, JJJ, Wally and Duane. Looks like we need at least 1PG. By position for next year:
Center: Fischer, Heldt
PF: H. Ellenson, Taylor
Wing/2G: Duane, Cheatham, Anim, Sandy, JJJ, Wally(listed as a G on MU's roster)
PG: Nobody
Must find a PG (preferably 2) and another big. Don't see any evidence that Cheatham is a PG.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:44:29 PM »
A 6'6" 230-240lb guy wearing number 32 who can hit a trailer three and is also able to play center (See Lazar and Jae)

We need a guy down there that can literally will his team to victory with next to no help.  

Wouldn't that be nice. I wouldn't count on it. By far my two favorite MU players.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:21 PM »
In terms of pure talent right now Noskowiak seems to be the better player from the little I have seen of each, but Anim definitely has his head on straight and by all accounts is a hard worker whose game is really blooming as of late.  Anim could potentially be the better player long term.

Talent only takes you so far. I've been concerned about  NN long before he asked out. IMO it's best for both sides... Just wish we realized it earlier. Very happy to have Sacar... Now time for Wojo to get a PG
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »
I'm going to look at the far end on this.  I now think Wojo can sign a transfer who redshirts next year as #13. Or, he can simply bank one as Steve will be the only Senior. Two more this spring who can dress next year. Wouldn't bother me one bit if both are Jucos.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »
Really hoping for a grad transfer.  Get the benefit of using the scholarship next year but also having another to offer for 2016 along with Steve's.  Grad transfer PG, HS PG, and an athletic JUCO forward would be ideal but a scoring wing wouldn't surprise me either.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
I'm going to look at the far end on this.  I now think Wojo can sign a transfer who redshirts next year as #13. Or, he can simply bank one as Steve will be the only Senior. Two more this spring who can dress next year. Wouldn't bother me one bit if both are Jucos.

Yes. The transfer market is always interesting and MU is in a position to take a long look at guys who would need to sit out a year in residence........

Would like a great grad as well.. and JUCO star. Those three. Then we're good. Flip the switch and make it happen, MU.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 09:45:41 PM »
O'Field is a brickhouse at 6'6".    He can jump out of the gym too.   I'd still go hard after him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
For getting a good PG....take a list of the top 20 incoming frosh PGs (note, I mean the 20 best, not just those ranked top 20), and circle those who are going to a program where the head coach may be fired, or may move onto a better job.

Let their people know that if anything happens with the school/coach they've committed to, Marquette would be interested.  So who would be on this list?  That's likely beyond my research abilities, but an interesting question.

edit: Ok...maybe not completely beyond my ability...
slightly outside the top 20....Sedrick Barefield is committed to SMU
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:03:22 PM by rocky_warrior »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:28 AM »
My ideal situation would be

1. Grad Transfer PG (Back up plan JUCO PG like Brandon Brown or Dequon Miller)
2. JUCO rebounding forward (1. Freeman 2. Outlaw 3. O'Field)
3. Traci Carter (back up plan would be a traditional transfer PG)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »
How many graduate transfers are there in a given year?  I think the problem is that since we have landed two in the past three years that we think it is more common than it really is.  So if we are looking at a PG...who has the ability to play immediately and contribute...and wants to come to Marquette...that pool of players could be very small.  Maybe even non-existent. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
My ideal situation would be

1. Grad Transfer PG (Back up plan JUCO PG like Brandon Brown or Dequon Miller)
2. JUCO rebounding forward (1. Freeman 2. Outlaw 3. O'Field)
3. Traci Carter (back up plan would be a traditional transfer PG)
What are our chances of landing a Grad Transfer PG? Anybody have a feel for that?
Starting to look like we may end up with Duane playing PG next year?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »
What are our chances of landing a Grad Transfer PG? Anybody have a feel for that?
Starting to look like we may end up with Duane playing PG next year?

Willie, IMO counting on a Grad Transfer PG is not the way to go.   There aren't that many good ones out there and if you miss you are screwed.    I would rather take a JUCO PG than roll the dice and count on landing a quality Grad Transfer.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »
Willie, IMO counting on a Grad Transfer PG is not the way to go.   There aren't that many good ones out there and if you miss you are screwed.    I would rather take a JUCO PG than roll the dice and count on landing a quality Grad Transfer.
Agreed--but do we even have a shot at a good JUCO PG at this point? Not aware of how many are left.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »
Agreed--but do we even have a shot at a good JUCO PG at this point? Not aware of how many are left.

Well Wojo is looking at some.  How good they are in terms of making an immediate impact is a debatable point.  You may be looking at someone along the lines of Dwight Buycks type.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »

Well Wojo is looking at some.  How good they are in terms of making an immediate impact is a debatable point.  You may be looking at someone along the lines of Dwight Buycks type.

Steady, sometimes surprisingly awesome, contributor who was unfairly maligned by the board and ended up playing in the NBA?  I'll take it.

feedback