Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue Jay thoughts  (Read 27267 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Blue Jay thoughts
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Must not have gotten 25 minutes
And 3 rebounds. Pretty close to a typical Derrick performance.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »
Cohen led the team with 6 rebounds.   Derrick and Luke next with 5 each.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
Must not have gotten 25 minutes

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yes, given he's had 30 plus minutes the last three games, we've seen that theory thoroughly debunked.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
What talent?  We have 7 players and 5 of them cannot shoot.  No one can play D, incapable of man-to-man.

everyone but derrick Wilson is a 4 start recruit in the starting lineup. JJJ was#27 recruit in country. Lot of talent that has not developed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
everyone but derrick Wilson is a 4 start recruit in the starting lineup. JJJ was#27 recruit in country. Lot of talent that has not developed.

Or was overrated from the start...or both...or late bloomers.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »
And 3 rebounds. Pretty close to a typical Derrick performance.
As inadequate as everyone agrees Derrick is offensively, he still somehow manages to have more assists, fewer turnovers, more rebounds, and-- somehow-- shoot at a better clip than JJJ.   The guy who SHOOTS WORSE THAN DERRICK WILSON is the guy that needs more minutes?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2015, 10:18:02 AM »
Other than Luke and Duane, there really isn't any talent. Both Triple J and Cohen have some untapped potential that possibly can be developed with proper coachin'. Anderson is out of his league. Mid major playa, with low basketball IQ, who never worked to develop a shot. Steve fills a back up role, nothin' more. Carlino, a one dimensional rental. As for Derrick's basketball skills, he's a good citizen.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:36:11 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »
As inadequate as everyone agrees Derrick is offensively, he still somehow manages to have more assists, fewer turnovers, more rebounds, and-- somehow-- shoot at a better clip than JJJ.   The guy who SHOOTS WORSE THAN DERRICK WILSON is the guy that needs more minutes?
I did not say he deserves more minutes. I said 3 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists are close to a typical Derrick performance. Look at his averages.

But since you brought it up--let's take a look see
Derrick career: 2.9 ppg; FG .379; 3FG .175; Reb. 2.3pg; Assts. 2.5pg
JJJ career:       6.0 ppg; FG .402; 3FG .221; Reb. 1.98; Assts 1.4 pg

So in response to your BS, the facts are there: JJJ shoots better than Derrick, shoots FT's better than Derrick; shoots the 3 better than Derrick and doubles him in points per game.
Why let facts get in the way of your opinion, right?

So yeah, he is the future, is a better producer than Derrick, is a better shooter than Derrick, the season is already a lost cause, so give JJJ more minutes and use Duane/Carlino more at the point.

Just the facts, Jack, and not your speculation as to who is a better shooter!!!!!!!            

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
willie, it really isn't a good comparison to use career numbers when comparing the two.  What Derrick did three years ago has little bearing on the player he is now.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
willie, it really isn't a good comparison to use career numbers when comparing the two.  What Derrick did three years ago has little bearing on the player he is now.
Really--OK--the same argument can be made for JJJ. What he did last year and this year will have little bearing on how well he will be as a senior. You cannot deny that without denying what you just posted.

My response was to the BS that some guy claimed that Derrick is a better shooter. BS. He is not and the facts are there!

I have no dog in the hunt, just that we should be preparing for the future, now, and we are 28-29 with Derrick playing 35 minutes per game at the point. As I have said repeatedly, Derrick is a good kid and plays hard, but we are losing anyway, so let's turn the page. What are we afraid of if his minutes are reduced to 20 per game? That we will lose? That is already happening.

We know that you love Derrick, Sultan, and that is fine. But look at what you are saying. I do not believe that you believe that Derrick is a better shooter than JJJ, nor do I believe that you think that JJJ's performance next year or two years from now will be less than or the same as it is now. Your statement above proves that you do not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »
Really--OK--the same argument can be made for JJJ. What he did last year and this year will have little bearing on how well he will be as a senior. You cannot deny that without denying what you just posted.

My response was to the BS that some guy claimed that Derrick is a better shooter. BS. He is not and the facts are there!

I have no dog in the hunt, just that we should be preparing for the future, now, and we are 28-29 with Derrick playing 35 minutes per game at the point. As I have said repeatedly, Derrick is a good kid and plays hard, but we are losing anyway, so let's turn the page. What are we afraid of if his minutes are reduced to 20 per game? That we will lose? That is already happening.

We know that you love Derrick, Sultan, and that is fine. But look at what you are saying. I do not believe that you believe that Derrick is a better shooter than JJJ, nor do I believe that you think that JJJ's performance next year or two years from now will be less than or the same as it is now. Your statement above proves that you do not.

Calm down.

I never made the comparison.  I wouldn't have used JJJ's career numbers either.  It is a basic fact that Derrick is shooting better from 2 and from 3 than JJJ is this year.  Now if you are arguing who has the potential to have a bigger impact on any given game scoring-wise, it is obviously JJJ.  JJJ has the potential to "go off" for 20+ points.  He has done so twice this year already.  Derrick's highest scoring game for his career is 15.

Put another way, JJJ *can* score much better than Derrick, but he oftentimes ends up being just an inefficient, volume shooter.

Regardless both are playing big minutes now out of necessity. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »
Seems like now's a good time to dust off the tinfoil hats from the Hiroshima thread from yonder, aina?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2015, 11:36:15 AM »
One of the problems is that posters here have unrealistic expectations. We are the worst team in the Big East. Stole one from Creighton at home and there was no way on earth we should of won at Seton Hall. Of course Seton Hall laying an egg gave posters here false hope. Looking at the box score it is quite obvious why we lost and it was not from the three point line. We were 9-20, while Creighton was 8-17. The glaring number was rebounding. We were out rebounded by 16. Creighton kept running bigmen at Fischer and Fischer has to be careful not to foul. MU has no choice to play defense without fouling and they have been very successful at not fouling, but that comes at a cost.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:35:15 PM by bilsu »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »

You need to lay off the crack.  JJJ had a bad game yesterday - in fact one of the worst of his career when given big minutes. Yet what does it parallel - a normal game for Derrick.  LOL.

So, the last 3 games of JJJ getting 25+ minutes:
34 minutes per game:  8.6ppg, 4rpg, 2 assists per game, 1.6 steals per game, 2 turnovers pg.  9-24 on 2 pt FGs, 1-7 on 3's.  FTs 5 of 8

Derrick:
38 minutes per game: 2.6ppg, 5.3prg, 5 assists per game, .66 steals per game, 2.3 turnovers pg on 3-14 from 2 point FGs, and 0-4 3 point FGA, and 2 of 8 on FTs
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
^Weren't you the one who wrote the dear Wojo letter?

Yeah, that's why this amazes me.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

Calm down.

I never made the comparison.  I wouldn't have used JJJ's career numbers either.  It is a basic fact that Derrick is shooting better from 2 and from 3 than JJJ is this year.  Now if you are arguing who has the potential to have a bigger impact on any given game scoring-wise, it is obviously JJJ.  JJJ has the potential to "go off" for 20+ points.  He has done so twice this year already.  Derrick's highest scoring game for his career is 15.

Put another way, JJJ *can* score much better than Derrick, but he oftentimes ends up being just an inefficient, volume shooter.

Regardless both are playing big minutes now out of necessity. 
Larger sample sizes are better than smaller ones Sultan. You do know that? Of course people should look at the total picture rather than the shorter picture. But let's look at the past 5 games since you like to be "current"

Derrick 16 points; 25% 2Pt FG%; 11% 3 Pt FG%
JJJ        38 points  36% 2Pt FG%; 30% 3 Pt FG%

So if your argument is "this year" instead of career, then logically we should break it down further to most current data, like last 5 games. But if you want to say this year, then it is fair to look at the total picture as well.

By any stretch, JJJ is a better shooter, a better offensive performer, a better FT shooter and scorer. And he nedds further development as do Sandy and Duane.

So now that we have that cleared up, you can go on to: Derrick is a good kid, a leader, a better ball handler, etc.

I still say, reduce his minutes, play Carlino/Duane more at PG and give the extra time to Sandy and JJJ. What is the fear? Why not?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »
Would it be fair to say that while JJJ takes more shots than Derrick, he does so while being more closely guarded ?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
Player development has really lacked.  Luke, JJJ, Duane, etc.  all just treading and no fire.

Wonder if this fail of a season makes Wojo reconsider his staff.  Will he keep the two losers from Drake on staff??

Most likely he'll assume it is the roster but this is some of the worst b ball I have ever seen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »
Player development has really lacked.  Luke, JJJ, Duane, etc.  all just treading and no fire.

Wonder if this fail of a season makes Wojo reconsider his staff.  Will he keep the two losers from Drake on staff??

Most likely he'll assume it is the roster but this is some of the worst b ball I have ever seen.

Duane is not better than last year?  How do you know?

Luke is better than last year, but he's a big and that takes a longer learning curve.

"losers from Drake"....what makes you state this? 

I'd like to see some more experience on the staff, but come on.   And if this is the worst basketball you have seen, you need to get out more often.  This isn't close....it's not even close when it comes to MU.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »

Stone Cold: You are stoned if you believe that Duane has not improved since last year He is markedly improved even from the beginning of this season. His scoring has improved, defense has improved and ball handling has improved

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
Other than Luke and Duane, there really isn't any talent. Both Triple J and Cohen have some untapped potential that possibly can be developed with proper coachin'. Anderson is out of his league. Mid major playa, with low basketball IQ, who never worked to develop a shot. Steve fills a back up role, nothin' more. Carlino, a one dimensional rental. As for Derrick's basketball skills, he's a good citizen.

Your comments are exactly right. That is why I believe next year is going to be just as trying because very little proven scoring is coming back. Obviously Wojo is not done, but he really has his work cut out for him.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
Your comments are exactly right. That is why I believe next year is going to be just as trying because very little proven scoring is coming back. Obviously Wojo is not done, but he really has his work cut out for him.

Cohen clearly has ability - on both ends.  He's still figuring it out though as a true frosh.  Duane and Luke both had a big jump on him in experience coming in to this year (sure Duane didn't play any games, but how many practices did he get in against a lot of experienced guys from last year's team).  

I'm not sure why Cohen is being excluded from the solid, true talent caregory of our future, and these caveats about him are thrown in?  He's the real deal.  JJJ on the other hand, well...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:21:35 PM by HutchwasClutch »

feedback