Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One of the more disappointing aspects of this season  (Read 20458 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: One of the more disappointing aspects of this season
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 07:17:26 PM »
Bubble team? With what? We are last place and other than Duane and Fisher, who the hell is going to get us 7 or 8 more wins? The Freshmen? How has that worked out for us so far? This team is returning very little proven scoring next season. We might win a few more, but this group is not a bubble team.

We have 4 open schollies, 25% of next year's roster.  Let's see who/if Wojo fills this with.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »
Bubble team? With what? We are last place and other than Duane and Fisher, who the hell is going to get us 7 or 8 more wins? The Freshmen? How has that worked out for us so far? This team is returning very little proven scoring next season. We might win a few more, but this group is not a bubble team.

You'll learn.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
Depending on what Wojo does with the remaining 4 scholarships, MU may be .500 next year.   JUCO PG, JUCO wing, Sacar....that may get to 17 wins.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 08:24:37 PM »
Don't we have the shooters and a PF coming in next year? Agree on the PG, but may have to move Duane there, although his game may be better suited for 2G

Henry isn't really the physical type of power forward I am talking about.  Cheatham does have a reputation as a shooter, but I hear that about a lot of high school players.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »

Well, Wojo currently has 4 open scholarships for next season. If there's a Jae Crowder, Jimmy butler and a Chris Jones out there....

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »
This board. Jesus.

We are better off than in Creans first year. It's super frustrating that in a pg dominated game we don't have one. Also disappointing we have no bench. That said I think we have potential and talent next season. But... We got gaps to fill make no question.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
Let's not forget, predictions by experts and slobs like us are often crap.  Remember, MU was going to win the Big East last year.  IU was going to finish 11th this year in the Big Ten. UCLA was going to finish second this year.  Florida was to be a top ten program, Michigan top 15.  Butler was to be mediocre this season.  So on and so forth.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »

Ellenson and Fischer will be the best 4/5 in the Big East next season.  Duane will improve his consistency.  As I see it, all we need is one of Cohen/JJJ/Haanif to emerge as a starter in order to really compete.  Wojo will be able to find a couple scholarship caliber players to fill out the bench. 

Let's not forget that this team has lost a bunch of close games this season. Some have been ugly, but for the most part the team has been competitive. I don't think we're as far away from the tournament as some appear to think. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
Ellenson and Fischer will be the best 4/5 in the Big East next season.  Duane will improve his consistency.  As I see it, all we need is one of Cohen/JJJ/Haanif to emerge as a starter in order to really compete.  Wojo will be able to find a couple scholarship caliber players to fill out the bench. 

Let's not forget that this team has lost a bunch of close games this season. Some have been ugly, but for the most part the team has been competitive. I don't think we're as far away from the tournament as some appear to think. 

How can you seriously believe this?  Fischer is arguably the worst 5 starting in the Big East this season.  Considering Obekpa, Ochefu, Reynolds, and Delgado are all underclassmen and seriously dominated Fischer this season it's very hard to imagine Luke being anything other than middle of the pack in the Big East next season down low.  Ellenson, though highly rated, is still a freshman and if anyone thinks he's going to simply lace up his shoes against physical competition he's never experienced before and be a dominant force is kidding themselves.

I think next year's team will do well if they're on the bubble come conference tournament time.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say bubble team - but I do believe that simply having anybody other than Derrick Wilson running PG for MU will greatly help the team be better.  I don't expect anything from Heldt next season.  Expect slight improvement from Luke.  Think Henry will get about 12ppg.  Think Duane can take another big step up.  And also believe JJJ can take a big step up with a summer of hard work, strength training, and being able to take advantage of better floor spacing due to playing with a more talented cast.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
I wouldn't under estimate Wally's contribution next year.

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 07:21:57 AM »
How can you seriously believe this?  Fischer is arguably the worst 5 starting in the Big East this season.  Considering Obekpa, Ochefu, Reynolds, and Delgado are all underclassmen and seriously dominated Fischer this season it's very hard to imagine Luke being anything other than middle of the pack in the Big East next season down low. 
Fischer was also dominated by Creighton's three big stiffs and Butler's 6-7 center. Major disappointment until Luke adds some strength and some diversity to his offensive game. Still waiting for him to face up and hit a jump shot. All he's shown so far are layups and jump hooks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
Luke is learning.   Every team in the Big East has at least one big at least as talented as he is.   He is getting beat up and worn out.   Yes, a 10 ft jumper would be a welcome tool.   So would a complementary big.   Anybody who is already counting him out is dumb.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 07:25:38 AM »
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say bubble team - but I do believe that simply having anybody other than Derrick Wilson running PG for MU will greatly help the team be better.  I don't expect anything from Heldt next season.  Expect slight improvement from Luke.  Think Henry will get about 12ppg.  Think Duane can take another big step up.  And also believe JJJ can take a big step up with a summer of hard work, strength training, and being able to take advantage of better floor spacing due to playing with a more talented cast.

Hmmm. And all this time I thought you kinda liked Derrick. Musta had you confused with somebody else.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Luke is learning.   Every team in the Big East has at least one big at least as talented as he is.   He is getting beat up and worn out.   Yes, a 10 ft jumper would be a welcome tool.   So would a complementary big.   Anybody who is already counting him out is dumb.   

Exactly.  When you're the absolute only option to play big, defenses aren't going to have a very difficult time stopping you.  Especially when you only have 2 shooters on the team, and 1 of them has been out for the last few games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 09:06:26 AM »
I wouldn't under estimate Wally's contribution next year.

My hope is he slides into the "glue guy" role. If he can defend, and give you 6 pts/4 reb a night, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »
We have a few pieces for next year. The key to next year will be whoever else Wojo can bring in to fill open scholarships and how well the freshman play.  So at this point we can guess anything we want about next year

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 10:32:23 AM »
My hope is he slides into the "glue guy" role. If he can defend, and give you 6 pts/4 reb a night, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

You realize he played in only 9 games last year and averaged 1ppg for Minnesota last year.  Restated, he was their John Dawson last season.  Did he play at garbage time and did the fans yell "shoot!" every-time he touched the ball?

So now you expect a guy that could not sniff the floor last year to upgrade programs (MU is better than Minn) and go from never playing to 6ppg/4rebs?  By the way, 6 and 4 is what Derrick Wilson averages and he is a starter.  Sandy Cohen is a 4 and 1 guy ... you expect much more from Wally.  

I never stop marveling at how guys either write things they don't understand or are delusional in there expectations.

I just hope Wally makes the rotational in anyway.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:34:12 AM by Heisenberg »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
You realize he played in only 9 games last year and averaged 1ppg for Minnesota last year.  Restated, he was their John Dawson last season.  Did he play at garbage time and did the fans yell "shoot!" every-time he touched the ball?

So now you expect a guy that could not sniff the floor last year to upgrade programs (MU is better than Minn) and go from never playing to 6ppg/4rebs?  By the way, 6 and 4 is what Derrick Wilson averages and he is a starter.  Sandy Cohen is a 4 and 1 guy ... you expect much more from Wally.  

I never stop marveling at how guys either write things they don't understand or are delusional in there expectations.

I just hope Wally makes the rotational in anyway.

Sometimes players change.  Sometimes a change of scenery is necessary.

McKay wasn't going to be good enough to play last season, according to Bert.  He upgraded in programs (at the current time) and is doing just fine for himself.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 10:44:23 AM »
Luke is basically a freshman, you guys need to relax. He can make hooks shots with both hands, runs the floor well and is above average athletically. Reserve judgement until Marquette puts a lineup on the floor that keeps all 5 defenders honest. Fischer showed flashes of good footwork but doesn't seem confident yet, doesn't act quickly. I think a lot of that has to do with being doubled so quickly.

As for defense, he has experienced a lot of foul trouble and I think Wojo has emphasized not getting into foul trouble. Often times he's not going for blocked shots like he did earlier in the season. With more depth next year I expect him to be a better defender, bigger presence in the lane. With Taylor, Heldt, Ellenson and another big recruit Marquette can at least fill his void. Again, I consider him a freshman, not expecting improvement is ridiculous.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
Sometimes players change.  Sometimes a change of scenery is necessary.

McKay wasn't going to be good enough to play last season, according to Bert.  He upgraded in programs (at the current time) and is doing just fine for himself.

McKay was a Juco all-american.  He was known to be a good/solid player coming in.

Wally had 2 years of D1 bball at Minn.  In those two years he has shown he is not a high D1 bball player (and a world class high jumper).  His two years at Minn were equivalent to John Dawson's 1 1/2 years at MU (or Jamail Jones).  So tell me what about Wally's game suggests 6 and 4 is possible at MU but impossible at Minn?  What was Pitino doing wrong that Wojo will do right?

I would love nothing more than Wally to be a 6 and 4 "glue guy."  Until I hear a reason, this is nothing but unrealistic fantasy basketball board talk.  It reminds me of the posters that thought Luke would be a "20 and 10" guy becuase of his first game against Alabama A&M.  

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
Luke is basically a freshman, you guys need to relax. He can make hooks shots with both hands, runs the floor well and is above average athletically. Reserve judgement until Marquette puts a lineup on the floor that keeps all 5 defenders honest. Fischer showed flashes of good footwork but doesn't seem confident yet, doesn't act quickly. I think a lot of that has to do with being doubled so quickly.

As for defense, he has experienced a lot of foul trouble and I think Wojo has emphasized not getting into foul trouble. Often times he's not going for blocked shots like he did earlier in the season. With more depth next year I expect him to be a better defender, bigger presence in the lane. With Taylor, Heldt, Ellenson and another big recruit Marquette can at least fill his void. Again, I consider him a freshman, not expecting improvement is ridiculous.

Exactly correct.

I see Fischer giving help to other players who are getting beat on dribble drives, which is leading to easy baskets from other players off the pass. This happened several times against Creighton. Yet Luke gets criticized because the guy he is guarding is having a good game. Defense is played by the team not an individual

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
McKay was a Juco all-american.  He was known to be a good/solid player coming in.

Wally had 2 years of D1 bball at Minn.  In those two years he has shown he is not a high D1 bball player (and a world class high jumper).  His two years at Minn were equivalent to John Dawson's 1 1/2 years at MU (or Jamail Jones).  So tell me what about Wally's game suggests 6 and 4 is possible at MU but impossible at Minn?  What was Pitino doing wrong that Wojo will do right?

I would love nothing more than Wally to be a 6 and 4 "glue guy."  Until I hear a reason, this is nothing but unrealistic fantasy basketball board talk.  It reminds me of the posters that thought Luke would be a "20 and 10" guy becuase of his first game against Alabama A&M.  

Wally originally committed to Tubby Smith.  There was a coaching change, and sometimes coaches look for different things in players.  What Tubby may have seen as a contributor, Pittino may see as useless.

Wally was also injured his freshman season.

Not predicting 6 and for from him, not predicting 1 and 1 for him, not predicting 15 and 10 for him.  He'll contribute.  Not sure in what way, but I am sure he'll bring a lot of energy and effort.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:10:41 AM by wadesworld »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »

I don't understand anything, AND I'm delusional? You sound like Ners.

You do realize he was hurt as a freshman, and had a coaching change as a sophomore? You saw what the shoulder injury did to Juan's development, right? Ever think a redshirt year might help his game?

You bring up Derrick and Sandy, but they are different players. Wally is farther along physically than Sandy, which is why I think he'd be a better rebounder. And, the complexion of this year's team and next year's team will be different.

I said I'd be thrilled with those numbers. Meaning, that would be the high end of his production. Juan averaged 3/3 as a junior. Wally should be able to meet that, and he's a better shooter. But hey, I'm just a delusional idiot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:08:00 AM by MUfan12 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
Hmmm. And all this time I thought you kinda liked Derrick. Musta had you confused with somebody else.

2015-16 is Ners' year for sure. If we are better on the court, he gets to say it was all Derrick's fault that we were so bad the last 2 seasons and gets to say how right he was. If we are the same or worse, he gets to continue to berate Wojo. Everything coming up Ners