[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Optimistic About Wojo  (Read 36808 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Optimistic About Wojo
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »
So, we're going to harp on Wojo for bringing in Carlino because it might/might not have "rocked the boat"?

Do we harp on every coach for recruiting a high ranked player who may be better than players on the team?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »
So playing more talented underclassmen can help teams win more games, than riding the "trusty" vets?

Of course...but not all "talented underclassmen" are created equal.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »

Yeah, I don't think there is a nine-year NBA veteran on the Marquette team right now...like Tony Smith.

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
I go to quite a short length. I state simple facts about our program. We missed the NIT last season. From that team we lost 72% of our offense. We replaced that 72% with a former top 100 redshirt freshman, a graduate transfer, and a top 100 true freshman. We had 9 players available to start the season. We had no one taller than Steve Taylor on our roster. We had one guy on our team with a career 3 pt% of 30% or more (5 3PM miniumum). We were picked to finish in the bottom three of the conference by every major poll. Does this sound like a winning formula to you?

I will acknowledge that we had 7 former top 100 players if you acknowledge all of the other barriers Wojo was faced with when he took over.

Luke was #88. Small correction. He was also unavailable to start the season.

This I agree with. Where I disagree is that development didn't happen. Every player on our roster is a significantly better player than they were last season with two exceptions: Dawson and Burton. Dawson was last on a depth chart with plenty of guards, so he didn't play. Burton was dealing with an off the court tragedy and was forced to play out of position at the 4 and was clearly struggling.

It's fine to say this roster could have been a winner. That's a fair argument. But at least acknowledge all the barriers that were present to keeping the team from being a winner.

You say you don't accept excuses. To me, the above are limitations, not excuses. Wojo acknowledges that are bad and that it is not acceptable. It would be an excuse if he hid behind the limitations. He doesn't.

It's funny that you say you don't accept excuses. Because you give your favorite players a lot of them.

Dawson needs 10 minutes to get in the groove of the game, that's why he doesn't play well. EXCUSE

Mayo can't play to his full potential because he's afraid he'll get pulled. EXCUSE

Burton's upset that Derrick has a longer leash than he does. EXCUSE

JjJ needs 25 minutes in a game or he won't be able to perform. EXCUSE

Personally, I don't think the players actually hide behind these excuses like you make them out to. But you are ready to make plenty of excuses for them.

TAMU -

Well done.  Some here seem obtuse (intentionally or otherwise).

goinUptown

tower912

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »
There were no better upperclassmen.   Foley was serviceable, the Juan Anderson of his day.   Sims was suspended.   Reeder and Nethen were ineligible.   Rod Grosse wasn't great.   Ellenson pere' transferred.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

connie

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »

Yeah, I don't think there is a nine-year NBA veteran on the Marquette team right now...like Tony Smith.
Only because we don't give them 25+ minutes a game, though.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »

And of course not all upperclassmen they are bench behind are created equal as well...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
Only because we don't give them 25+ minutes a game, though.

Connie - I'm sure you are bright enough to know that giving a player 25 minutes doesn't guarantee anything.  Let's fact it, Derrick Wilson has about 45 games that show 25+ can't guarantee squat.  But, when history for a different player in a sample size of 7 games shows that in those 7 opportunities, they perform solidly - it isn't wild to think they will perform solidly moving forward given 25+ minutes per game. 

The reality is talented players are going to give you more production than non-talented guys.  Period.  I certainly hope you aren't going to argue Derrick Wilson is more talented at basketball than JJJ?  Why max Derrick's minutes and in so doing limit JJJ's?  Again, Carlino and Duane could have been made PG from the beginning of the season.  We certainly didn't flounder against UT Martin with Carlino running PG.  He dished out 7 assists.   

Wojo wanted Derrick running PG.  That was his call to make as a head coach, and it isn't out of question to call into judgment that decision-making.  Maxing the time of Derrick, Matt and Duane came at the expense of JJJ.  Again using the roster resource available to a coach - my view would have been that the team would have been better maxing minutes of Matt, Duane, JJJ from the start and returning Derrick to the role EVERY Marquette fan knows he is best suited for:  10-15 high energy backup.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

connie

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2015, 05:46:16 PM »
Connie - I'm sure you are bright enough to know that giving a player 25 minutes doesn't guarantee anything.  Let's fact it, Derrick Wilson has about 45 games that show 25+ can't guarantee squat.  But, when history for a different player in a sample size of 7 games shows that in those 7 opportunities, they perform solidly - it isn't wild to think they will perform solidly moving forward given 25+ minutes per game. 

The reality is talented players are going to give you more production than non-talented guys.  Period.  I certainly hope you aren't going to argue Derrick Wilson is more talented at basketball than JJJ?  Why max Derrick's minutes and in so doing limit JJJ's?  Again, Carlino and Duane could have been made PG from the beginning of the season.  We certainly didn't flounder against UT Martin with Carlino running PG.  He dished out 7 assists.   

Wojo wanted Derrick running PG.  That was his call to make as a head coach, and it isn't out of question to call into judgment that decision-making.  Maxing the time of Derrick, Matt and Duane came at the expense of JJJ.  Again using the roster resource available to a coach - my view would have been that the team would have been better maxing minutes of Matt, Duane, JJJ from the start and returning Derrick to the role EVERY Marquette fan knows he is best suited for:  10-15 high energy backup.
Yeah, it might have been a cheap shot and I'm sorry for that, but it was easy, it was funny and it was on point, so I couldn't help myself.  I know I need to take my own advice and stop feeding the pigeons.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
I agree with quite a bit of this post. In particular one key point. That is the President and Chairman of the Trustees hired who THEY felt comfortable with. At the time they made the hire I felt they should have hired someone who the PLAYERS felt comfortable with. Big difference of perspective and Personalities. It is pretty clear to me that Wojo does not have the maturity and experience to be successful in a program like ours.  We are paying a big price for the learning curve with him.

Hey does everybody remember that time that Texas Western wrote something intelligent, insightful and truthful.  Me neither. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
You guys are idiots. Doc Rivers, who has played and coached at the very highest levels of basketball, hired Wojo and he's a GREAT hire. This is a person who coached Rivers' son!

We're people expecting good things this year? I know who wasn't...Buzz Williams.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
You guys are idiots. Doc Rivers, who has played and coached at the very highest levels of basketball, hired Wojo and he's a GREAT hire. This is a person who coached Rivers' son!

We're people expecting good things this year? I know who wasn't...Buzz Williams.

Care to wager Wojo won't exceed Crean in wins first 5 years on the job?  I mean I know how much admiration you have for Tom Crean and what a POS person/coach you think he is.  Clearly, Wojo should be able to exceed a guy who walked into a program with no Top 100 players in the program at the time of his arrival.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
Care to wager Wojo won't exceed Crean in wins first 5 years on the job?  I mean I know how much admiration you have for Tom Crean and what a POS person/coach you think he is.  Clearly, Wojo should be able to exceed a guy who walked into a program with no Top 100 players in the program at the time of his arrival.

Well unless henry gives us two Wade like years then it's kind of an unfair comparison.  Id be willing to bet given the same tenure Wojo exceeds Crean in victories though. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2015, 07:02:40 PM »
Well unless henry gives us two Wade like years then it's kind of an unfair comparison.  Id be willing to bet given the same tenure Wojo exceeds Crean in victories though. 

Well Buzz exceed Crean's win total in his first 5 years on the job by about 20, and Buzz didn't exactly have a D-Wade or McDonald's All American coming to campus in his 5 years on the job.  Plus the performance of Crean and Buzz raised the stature of the program, once again give it national relevance.

Though I probably would take your bet anyway in the event Wojo is here 9 years - I don't feel he will exceed Crean.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2015, 08:57:40 PM »
Trouble in Traditional River City...

feedback