Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wes missing the Nat'l coming out party?  (Read 5507 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Wes missing the Nat'l coming out party?
« on: November 22, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »
Couldn't help but think about Wes last night.  James and McNeal stole the show (article on Draft Express referring to the "sophmore duo").  Hands down.

I watched the game with some Dookie's and I found myself constantly telling them that I thought Wes was still the best pro prospect on the MU squad.  I don't know if I felt bad for Wes not sharing the spotlight with his running mates or what.

These 3 guys are linked together in everything....just felt that Matthews was missing out a little.

No doubt Matthews will have his time to shine...it's simply the Wednesday before turkey break, the morning after a HUGE win, and I could sit and talk about Crean's tie for 2 hours.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Re: Wes missing the Nat'l coming out party?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »
I think if any 2 of the 3 sophomores have big nights in the same game, we will win a lot.  Last night it was James and McNeal.  Against UW, I have this funny sensation that Matthews will be just fine. ;)

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:57:20 AM »
Wes is going to be just fine.  He put up 20 on Monday night and he shut down Nelson after Nelson started off hot.  No need to worry.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:59:16 AM »
Wes is going to be just fine.  He put up 20 on Monday night and he shut down Nelson after Nelson started off hot.  No need to worry.

Exactly, he looked very good on Monday night...and he contributed a bunch last night (though not in ways as obvious).

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:13:40 AM »
Matthews just isn't as assertive on the offensive end as the other guys, although I wish he would be. I think he's much better offensively than McNeal and a better shooter than both of them.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
Last night wasn't his best, but there will be others - plenty of others.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 11:32:45 AM »
Matthews just isn't as assertive on the offensive end as the other guys, although I wish he would be. I think he's much better offensively than McNeal and a better shooter than both of them.

Last night wasn't his best, but there will be others - plenty of others.

Matthews did EXACTLY what he needed to do to make sure the TEAM got the win.  He is extremely unselfish in his play and focused on defense.  I don't know about you but when I looked up and saw Nelson had double digit points only half way through the first half I was slightly nervous.  Matthews helped big time to shut him down from there - no small feat.

Every notice how infrequently defensive players get acknowledgement (what percentage of defensive football players or even offensive linemen who are really defensive roles too have gotten the heisman)?  There are gameplans where the team needs Matthews offensively.  We needed him defensively in the Duke game and he delivered.  Take him away and we almost certainly would not have won - not diminishing anyone else's roll in the game but it was truly a TEAM effort.  That's why I LOVE watching this team right now.. a bunch of very very good players realizing the whole is more than the sum.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 12:10:37 PM »
matthews is our "smartest" basketball player for sure.  what i mean by that is that he always plays within himself and the flow of the game.  where sometimes i'll shake my head at DJ or mcneal jacking up a three early in the shot clock (but with this team i'm quickly learning to take the bad with the good), i very rarely find myself doing the same with matthews.  he seems to know when to push it and when to hold back.  he loves to make the extra pass and knows how to create contact in the lane.  of the big three, i really think he is the glue guy that holds the team together.  james is the leader, mcneal is the reckless abandon, and matthews is the rock. 

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:00:14 PM »
One question that continues to linger for me is why Crean tries playing Wes at point..I can come up with several probable reasons.

Pressure off of DJ, diversity in offense, develop Wes' dribbling ability, certain set plays, match ups?

however, I think our team suffers offensively in a lot of ways..

Much slower on transition and offense in general, minimal penetration, slower ball movement on the perimeter, tempo, turnovers, etc.

I guess I do not really feel confidence in Wes at the point guard position, and I feel at the off guard position he is more inclined to look for better shots or the open man. It is very noticeable as a spectator, that the speed and offense suffer in the game while he is at point versus DJ or even Cubillan.
Tradition Never Graduates..

SoCalstu09

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 11:34:32 PM »
I feel the same way. I don't understand Crean's thinking, playing a mediocre (at best) PG when you have a top 3 PG on your team. With DJ running the point, it is given that he will make big plays for others, including Wesley. I don't feel that way when Wesley runs the point. With Cubillan at backing up, there is no reason to have Wesley doing it. Leaves too many opportunities for turnovers.

That being said, I have seen a great improvement of Wesley's confidence with the ball and overall control from the beginning of  the year. Maybe Crean is worried that Mo Acker and Cubillan are going to be too inexperienced to handle the point alone next year??? Maybe??? If this is the case, Crean's crazy! Cubillan is AWESOME and acts much more experienced than a frosh.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:36:44 PM by SoCalstu09 »
"I think the world is run by C students."- Al McGuire

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 07:08:14 AM »
I feel the same way. I don't understand Crean's thinking, playing a mediocre (at best) PG when you have a top 3 PG on your team. With DJ running the point, it is given that he will make big plays for others, including Wesley. I don't feel that way when Wesley runs the point. With Cubillan at backing up, there is no reason to have Wesley doing it. Leaves too many opportunities for turnovers.

well, the team is 6-0. And with DJ delivereing 25 points, 7 assists, and 1 turnover against Duke -- its hard to argue with the individual or team results.  The Duke game might have been the best outing of DJ's career

Look at it long-term.  Given DJ's style of play, perhaps TC is looking to preserve his star's effectiveness all-season long.  As for WM's turnovers, he's at 1/1.....not great, but not abominable either -- and in the TT and Duke games, many came when he was not at the point.

given MU's reliance on the Fearsome Foursome, versatility is critical ........ TC can't let teams figure out how to best defend them. that any of the four can play PG is a good thing. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:00:35 AM by NYWarrior »

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 12:35:17 PM »
He got a little love.  This was plastered on the KC Star the day after the game.  Much more pub from the local guys.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16071895.htm

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »
 ;D

Not sure I'll ever get tired of reading about the duke game in the press  ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

feedback