Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nova Thoughts  (Read 22003 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Nova Thoughts
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
Among other issues, VU was way too quick for this team. Other than Duane, everyone else appears to be stuck in cement.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:18:32 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
Glad to see Jujuan with double digits scoring, even in a blow-out. I'm worried about him and want so bad to see the Jujuan we thought we were getting from Memphis.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »
Glad to see Jujuan with double digits scoring, even in a blow-out. I'm worried about him and want so bad to see the Jujuan we thought we were getting from Memphis.

JJJ is a talented kid. The problem is that his current game simply isn't very well-rounded. He can put the ball in the hoop as long as he's playing under control but he doesn't always play under control and his offense isn't enough to overcome his deficiencies. In other words, he doesn't seem to have much interest in doing anything besides scoring.

That doesn't mean he can't have a valuable role on this team. He's built a bit in the Mayo/Buycks mold where every time he gets the ball, it could result in a highlight reel play or in a mind-boggling TO. He may carry the team to a tough road win one night and then be invisible for 3-4 games.

Last night it was great to see him knock down a couple 3s and show his mid-range game but it was also frustrating to watch him gamble for steals and show little desire to rebound. I don't think he's ever going to be "the man" for a Marquette team, but if he can play under control and begin to contribute more defensively and especially on the boards, he can be an important piece.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »

10pts on 12 shots though.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
JJJ is a talented kid. The problem is that his current game simply isn't very well-rounded. He can put the ball in the hoop as long as he's playing under control but he doesn't always play under control and his offense isn't enough to overcome his deficiencies. In other words, he doesn't seem to have much interest in doing anything besides scoring.

That doesn't mean he can't have a valuable role on this team. He's built a bit in the Mayo/Buycks mold where every time he gets the ball, it could result in a highlight reel play or in a mind-boggling TO. He may carry the team to a tough road win one night and then be invisible for 3-4 games.

Last night it was great to see him knock down a couple 3s and show his mid-range game but it was also frustrating to watch him gamble for steals and show little desire to rebound. I don't think he's ever going to be "the man" for a Marquette team, but if he can play under control and begin to contribute more defensively and especially on the boards, he can be an important piece.

"Playing under control."  Would you agree that most good players that eventually become really good have an element of playing out of control. (Westbrook, Wade, Iverson, hell..Vander, DJO, Jerel?)   It's called being aggressive, and putting a ton of pressure on the defense.  Yes, it leads to more turnovers/errors, but it often times leads to baskets, good looks for teammates, drawing fouls on the opposition.

You see Duane play the same way.  Saw it with Todd Mayo.  Is it frustrating at times?  Absolutely. But, through experience, adding strength, by the time guys like Duane and JJJ are upperclassmen - usually this aggression begins to result in conversion a vast majority of the time.

You can't coach the aggressiveness out of a player - particularly not guys who can be go to guys.  You have to have some alpha dogs on a team.  Hell some bitched at Jamil for not being aggressive/assertive enough last season.  Can't have it both ways.  

Also, pretty sure JJJ was playing with an ankle injury last night.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
You can't coach the aggressiveness out of a player - particularly not guys who can be go to guys.  You have to have some alpha dogs on a team.  Hell some bitched at Jamil for not being aggressive/assertive enough last season.  Can't have it both ways.  

Agree with this. But here is where you have to look at efficiency and usage. Happy to have an alpha dog on the team, if he's an efficient scorer. You can't be an alpha dog if you are the least efficient player on the team. JjJ needs to work on his efficiency and until he does, he needs to realize that he's not the alpha dog on the team, that's not his role. I wish Jamil would have had his aggressiveness because he was an efficient scorer.

Also, pretty sure JJJ was playing with an ankle injury last night.

I missed that, what happened?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

I was glad to see JJJ get some time in that game. Honestly, I would have liked to see him play more after Carlino went down hard. Jajuan may not have played particularly well, but we didn't have a chance and rushing Carlino back onto the floor felt a bit negligent.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
I was glad to see JJJ get some time in that game. Honestly, I would have liked to see him play more after Carlino went down hard. Jajuan may not have played particularly well, but we didn't have a chance and rushing Carlino back onto the floor felt a bit negligent.

Agreed on JJJ/Carlino.   Matt didn't need to come back in the game.    Let JJJ run the rest of the game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
Forgive me if this has been posted already -too many comments to read them all - but 'Nova toyed with us last night.  They knew they were going to kill us, and they knew it was just a matter of playing serious basketball for a stretch and it would be over. 

THat's what this season has come to now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:54 PM »

OMG - are we pretending that was a good performance last night?   4-12, that's 33% folks.  He did miraculously hit what, a pair of threes?  His shot off the side of the backboard/ padding was impressive.  

As I've said before, we can and I think will replace him with someone better after this season mercifully ends.  No need to continue to jam that square peg in a round hole and hold out hope against hope that he's any good at all.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:37:39 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »
Among other issues...

Understatement of the year - we were completely outclassed last night in every way, shape, and form.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 07:35:52 PM »
Juan Anderson seems to be getting worse as the season wears on, astounding for a senior in the last month and a half of his career.  He was awful last night- there were 50/50 balls he wasn't getting to, misses from point blank range, perimeter shot as usual just terrible, hit nothing but the front of the net on a FT!!  I am so glad he's almost done.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:38:36 PM by HutchwasClutch »

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »
OMG - are we pretending that was a good performance last night?   4-12, that's 33% folks.  He did miraculously hit what, a pair of threes?  His shot off the side of the backboard/ padding was impressive.  

As I've said before, we can and I think will replace him with someone better after this season mercifully ends.  No need to continue to jam that square peg in a round hole and hold out hope against hope that he's any good at all.

Did you watch the game?

Marquette as a team shot 35% from the floor.  JJJ's 33% shooting, while poor, was not even close to the worst shooting performance of the evening (Cohen, 1 for 7).  NOBODY shot it at a 50% rate with Fischer and Duane leading the way at 44% each (4 for 9).

This is not the game to get on a guy for a 4 for 12 night from the field.

The team goes 21 for 60 during the game and you're going to complain about a guy shooting 4 for 12?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:17:18 PM by mattyv1908 »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
Did you watch the game?

Marquette as a team shot 35% from the floor.  JJJ's 33% shooting, while poor, was not even close to the worst shooting performance of the evening (Cohen, 1 for 7).  NOBODY shot it at a 50% rate with Fischer and Duane leading the way at 44% each (4 for 9).

This is not the game to get on a guy for a 4 for 12 night from the field.

The team goes 21 for 60 during the game and you're going to complain about a guy shooting 4 for 12?

I was merely responding to some of the never ending optimism about JJJ on this board from some (a number which is dwindling by the day).

No sh** the whole team sucked last night, I think I made that clear in my other posts.  

If you're looking to fight with someone, go somewhere else.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:40:37 PM by HutchwasClutch »

connie

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »
Juan Anderson seems to be getting worse as the season wears on, astounding for a senior in the last month and a half of his career.  He was awful last night- there were 50/50 balls he wasn't getting to, misses from point blank range, perimeter shot as usual just terrible, hit nothing but the front of the net on a FT!!  I am so glad he's almost done.  
I love Juan.  I love the energy he brings to the floor.  Unfortunately energy alone is not enough, and I think his energy is running out.  I would love to have Juan coming off the bench for 7-10 minutes a game--unfortunately I say that about way too many of our current players.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
I love Juan.  I love the energy he brings to the floor.  Unfortunately energy alone is not enough, and I think his energy is running out.  I would love to have Juan coming off the bench for 7-10 minutes a game--unfortunately I say that about way too many of our current players.

I think Juan's a good kid.  After Carlino's fall he was right there by him on the bench. 

But you're absolutely right, he's at best a role player playing way too many minutes, of which there are several on this team.  Hence, why we're a 1/2 game now from last place in conference. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2015, 08:39:50 PM »

LAZER - I went back and read the quote that led to this reply.  I took it out of context.  Sorry I singled it out and ranted over it.  Long day, my bad.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:42:14 PM by HutchwasClutch »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »

Yeah 4-12 was not the stuff to write home about! Sort of like Derrick's 1-3 with a clanged FT, of which several on this board said "Derrick looked solid". But he did have a dunk this year so he is the man. Nobody, including the elite one had a performance that Bogie could say "That's the stuff that dream's are made of."
This team has regressed this year, and we can rag on the players and rave about our pets, but the bottom line is that we are not improving collectively. Now some of that is on Wojo and staff, while a lot of it is on the phony one's leaving the program in such lousy shape. Once again, thank you Burt!. May the door hit you in the ass at VT also.
"I will be at Marquette as long as they want me". That lie should go right up next to "If you like your Dr. and Plan, you can keep them". Now there would be a good Used car Sales Dealership--Buzz and Barry's Lemon Ade Pavilion.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 06:27:05 AM »

Ideal roles:

Matt Carlino: 2nd scoring option, 25-30 mpg.
Derrick Wilson: Platoon PG, 20-25 mpg.
Duane Wilson: 3rd scoring option, 25-30 mpg.
Luke Fischer: Platoon C, 15-20 mpg.
Juan Anderson: Bench energy guy, 10-15 mpg.
Sandy Cohen: Bench scoring option, 10-15 mpg.
Steve Taylor: End of the bench, 5-10 mpg.
Jajuan Johnson: End of the bench, 5-10 mpg.

Actual roles:

Matt Carlino: 1st scoring option, 34.3 mpg.
Derrick Wilson: Starting PG, 34.3 mpg.
Duane Wilson: 2nd scoring option, 28.1 mpg.
Luke Fischer: Only C, 28.6 mpg.
Juan Anderson: Starting PF, 33.3 mpg.
Sandy Cohen: 6th man, 17.0 mpg
Steve Taylor: Energy off bench, 15.7 mpg.
Jajuan Johnson: Bench scoring option, 14.7 mpg.

Everyone on the team is being asked to do a bit more than they are suited for. If we had a true lead scoring option like Blue, DJO, or McNeal, if we had a center to platoon with Luke like Otule, if we had another starting caliber big like Burke or Barro, if we had a platoon PG like Acker or Cooby, then guys would play in roles they are suited for. Instead, we play the hand we're dealt and it's a testament to this team that it's been competitive.

Realistically, we're probably 3 pieces from being a good team. But two would have to be starters. Just not our year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »
Brew- Does this leave much promise for next season?  A LOT of guys are going to have to either take big steps up from their current "Ideal Positions" and/or come in as big impact freshmen for next season to be any different than this season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »
Next year is probably going to be another rebuilding year.    Assuming all of the underclassmen stay and that all 4 of recruits arrive:
1:  Duane, NN, Haanif
2.  JJJ, NN, Haanif
3.  Sandy, WEllenson
4. Henry, STjr
5.  Fischer, Heldt

Can Duane be a 25-30 mpg PG?    Where does the outside shooting come from?   Where does the rebounding come from?   Will HEllenson be 25 mpg,  12/7 right away?   Who leads?  (I assume Duane and Luke)   How quickly do the rest of the frosh adjust to the size and speed?   This ain't Neenah.   Take this year's stats, add in WEllenson's at Minnesota, and what do you have for next year?    On paper, it isn't pretty.    At least one more year of patience is going to be required.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »
Forgive me if this has been posted already -too many comments to read them all - but 'Nova toyed with us last night.  They knew they were going to kill us, and they knew it was just a matter of playing serious basketball for a stretch and it would be over.  

THat's what this season has come to now.

This.

It's not much fun when the entire second half is garbage time.  It's also unfair to evaluate an individual's performance in said garbage time.  All you can determine is whether a kid is still giving the effort.

I too though it might be best for Carlino to sit after the tumble.  But I have to give the kid props for insisting on getting back out there to rejoin the fight.  It's up to the trainer and Wojo to tell him to park it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:37:16 AM by jsglow »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
It's not much fun when the entire second half is garbage time.  It's also unfair to evaluate an individual's performance in said garbage time.  All you can determine is whether a kid is still giving the effort.

This.

JJJ was 4 for 12 overall, which doesn't look too bad in the context of the overall team performance.  But he was only 1 for 7 in the first half.  In the second half, when the game was already hopeless, he hit 3 for 5, with his first made shot coming midway through the half and MU down 20.  

I like JJJ's athletic ability and aggressiveness, and hope he stays at MU because he can contribute once he learns to play under control.  But people should not get too excited about this one game, given that 8 of his 10 points came while Nova was in cruise control.

And yes, I agree JJJ should have stayed in after Matt's fall.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »
Next year is probably going to be another rebuilding year.    Assuming all of the underclassmen stay and that all 4 of recruits arrive:
1:  Duane, NN, Haanif
2.  JJJ, NN, Haanif
3.  Sandy, WEllenson
4. Henry, STjr
5.  Fischer, Heldt

Can Duane be a 25-30 mpg PG?    Where does the outside shooting come from?   Where does the rebounding come from?   Will HEllenson be 25 mpg,  12/7 right away?   Who leads?  (I assume Duane and Luke)   How quickly do the rest of the frosh adjust to the size and speed?   This ain't Neenah.   Take this year's stats, add in WEllenson's at Minnesota, and what do you have for next year?    On paper, it isn't pretty.    At least one more year of patience is going to be required.   

That's why Spring signing is so important for Wojo this year.  He simply must take advantage of the opportunity to get one or two more quality players and I think he can and will.

Consider his current efforts to recruit a PG.  'Son, I have minutes right now for a quality guard playing high D-1 ball.  You'll play with a top recruiting class including the best new #4 in the country and be on national TV every game.  Interested?'

Seriously, it's Wojo's responsibility to put a quality product on the floor next year.  I don't think we're there yet but he has 3 more bites at the apple and I expect him to take advantage of that opportunity.  This season I completely understand.  Next season I expect victory.  I've refused to be a 'sky is falling' guy.  I understand why this year has gone the way it has.  No problem, love our guys.  But the apprenticeship ends and real progress must be demanded of our heavily funded program.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
That's why Spring signing is so important for Wojo this year.  He simply must take advantage of the opportunity to get one or two more quality players and I think he can and will.

Consider his current efforts to recruit a PG.  'Son, I have minutes right now for a quality guard playing high D-1 ball.  You'll play with a top recruiting class including the best new #4 in the country and be on national TV every game.  Interested?'

Seriously, it's Wojo's responsibility to put a quality product on the floor next year.  I don't think we're there yet but he has 3 more bites at the apple and I expect him to take advantage of that opportunity.  This season I completely understand.  Next season I expect victory.  I've refused to be a 'sky is falling' guy.  I understand why this year has gone the way it has.  No problem, love our guys.  But the apprenticeship ends and real progress must be demanded of our heavily funded program.

I'm thinking next year's team that we'll be like more Seton Hall this year.  They had a good recruiting class come in this season.