[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino Stats  (Read 3521 times)

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
Carlino Stats
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »
For a 2G, Carlino's BE stats aren't bad at the half-way mark:

1st -- FT% at 88.6%
1st -- Steals at 2.0
1st -- 3 pointers made at 3.4
5th -- Scoring at 18.2
9th -- 3 Pt % at 40.3%
10th -- Minutes played at 35.0%

Without his "grit", we wouldn't have even been in half of our games.
Even though he ends up in no man's land without an outlet, he often finds a way to draw a foul.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Carlino Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:19:06 PM »
For a 2G, Carlino's BE stats aren't bad at the half-way mark:

1st -- FT% at 88.6%
1st -- Steals at 2.0
1st -- 3 pointers made at 3.4
5th -- Scoring at 18.2
9th -- 3 Pt % at 40.3%
10th -- Minutes played at 35.0%

Without his "grit", we wouldn't have even been in half of our games.
Even though he ends up in no man's land without an outlet, he often finds a way to draw a foul.

Some here see that number and come to the conclusion that Carlino thus is an outstanding defender.  Unfortunately he is a very poor defender.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
He is not a great defender but knows how to cheat well on D side of the ball. He knows the game well and IMO the game is slower in his head than the other guys. Also, I feel his passing his highly underrated and if playing with better players his assists would be higher.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »
Definitely agree Goose

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
He is not a great defender but knows how to cheat well on D side of the ball. He knows the game well and IMO the game is slower in his head than the other guys. Also, I feel his passing his highly underrated and if playing with better players his assists would be higher.

I agree with you that he understands the game better than anyone else on the team, but I don't agree about his passing. His passing decisions are oftentime good ideas but poorly executed. He either sales passes or tries to bounce pass it but doesn't put enough on it a lot of times. The thoughts are usually right I just don't think he's very good at completing the plays.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »
Some here see that number and come to the conclusion that Carlino thus is an outstanding defender.  Unfortunately he is a very poor defender.

Good situational defender, maybe?  I feel like a lot of those steals come on baseline inbound plays.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »

Prior to the season's start, I was among the skeptical based on the the reports of his inconsistency, now I'm a definite convert.  Without Matt this season would have been scary bad.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:46 AM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=44965.0

I think I would slightly edit my post and take out that the part about "without forcing things" regarding attacking the basket.  That, more than any of his outside shots, is where I think he takes too many contested shots.  Most of his 3 point shot attempts (outside of desperation time or shot clock winding down) come when he is stepping into a shot in rhythm.  Some of them are still fairly well contested, but I don't necessarily mind those in a lot of situations because he has shown he can knock down tough jump shots.  When he has been attacking the rim, especially in transition and late in games, we've seen him drive into 3 big guys and throw up a prayer too often for my liking.

I do think he understands driving and passing lanes very well, he just doesn't execute the passing lane part of it overly well sometimes (just throws bad passes, despite what I think are good ideas).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 07:17:31 AM »
Wadesworld

IMO Carlino's biggest problem in passing is that too often he passes to a guy he should not pass to. You have to know a player's limitations and only pass the ball when it becomes an advantage. He has played with elite talent most of his life and by instinct makes the pass. In the Georgetown game three times he hit Luke with a pass and Fischer was unable to make a play. Two years from now Fischer either scores or goes to the line.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
If you are getting on Carlino's case, I have to wonder what exactly it is that you want from this kid.  He's giving it all and then some.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »
If you are getting on Carlino's case, I have to wonder what exactly it is that you want from this kid.  He's giving it all and then some.

+1000

This team would be in a world of hurt without him. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
I really like Carlino.  He could be a hell of role player on a good team.  For us, we need him to run the show, and he's done a great job.  As others have said, we'd be in real trouble without him. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
I really like Carlino.  He could be a hell of role player on a good team.  For us, we need him to run the show, and he's done a great job.  As others have said, we'd be in real trouble without him. 

So a guy who will likely be All Big East first team, would be a hell of a role player on a good team?  Please help me understand.  You think it is easier to put up good numbers when you are virtually the ONLY player the opposition needs to defend (other than perhaps Duane?)

Let's not undermine the kid's performance and production this season.  He's been really good - especially come conference play.  And let's face it SOMEBODY has to take the shots on this team - and I'd much rather it be he or Duane, then Cohen than any of our other options.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013