'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don't count us out of the Diamond Stone sweepstakes  (Read 41586 times)

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
Re: Don't count us out of the Diamond Stone sweepstakes
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
I though the eligibility issue at UW v some other schools dealt with the number of core classes taken in high school. Made up example...UW requires 3 years of foreign language for acceptance into the university while school X might only require 2 years.

I could be way off base on this.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
Google Ron Dayne Wonderlic, he's a member of the single-digit club

thanks but all I get from that is allegation on blogs/message boards

the 1 article I found (on Bleacher Report - I know: not a reliable source) listing the 10 lowest all time and he's not on the list which includes a few that scored a 10

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
I though the eligibility issue at UW v some other schools dealt with the number of core classes taken in high school. Made up example...UW requires 3 years of foreign language for acceptance into the university while school X might only require 2 years.

I could be way off base on this.

No,  you're correct at least as determined by the information posted by a member on the vadger board.  When I inquired over there shortly after Anderson departed amidst all their holier-than-thou rhetoric,  they provided a link in which the story posted indicated something like 1 -  2 extra classes; and the article wasn't clear as to whether even more than one extra class was required.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »
Some poor commentary here.  Saying Dayne and Clay can't read?  I don't think we should go there.

How do you guys know he hasn't reached the minimum qualification with the ACT? I have read elsewhere that is not the issue.

Just because someone meets the NCAA qualifications doesn't mean they will automatically get into UW.  Not sure why this is hard to understand.

Funny, you guys had no trouble opining if Vander had made it on your message boards.....only after he decommitted from UW-madison.  snort snort

I think Dayne can read, it is when he speaks into a microphone that I shake my head.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »
No,  you're correct at least as determined by the information posted by a member on the vadger board.  When I inquired over there shortly after Anderson departed amidst all their holier-than-thou rhetoric,  they provided a link in which the story posted indicated something like 1 -  2 extra classes; and the article wasn't clear as to whether even more than one extra class was required.

Again, I think part of letting Anderson leave so soon was allowing UW to spin it as they wanted. Thus, the b.s. about academics being an issue.

Maybe Anderson just didn't want to be in Madison. Shocking, I know. ::)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
Google Ron Dayne Wonderlic, he's a member of the single-digit club

I worked in New York sports at the time, and a person very close to the team told me he had the lowest score of any player ever drafted by the Giants at that time.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
Nah we'll hear about how hard working of a guy he is and how admirable it was that he worked so hard to get his grades straightened out.  To go along with how great the confidence he has in himself is with his Twitter name AllEyesOnMe and the interview answers about how he's "pretty dominant, can do pretty much anything down in the post."  Meanwhile, Henry's heNBA Twitter name is a sign of his arrogance and his parents are overbearing.

Ugh, who cares? You don't become a 5 star recruit without some confidence.

MU landed a high profile recruit, UW wants to do the same.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »

Apparently, your Vadger buddies care a whole lot. That's why they tar and feather any recruit who's not willing to crawl over broken glass for the privilege of living in Madison for four years.

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 08:07:31 PM »
UW hired a new person about 4 years ago from The U of Chicago. Since that hiring it has become much more difficult to get special recruits through the acceptance process. I have been told by writers that are on the Badger beat that most all the coaches are frustrated but they will not go on record for fear of sounding anti education. As a very proud UW grad I know that I would never be accepted today and I find the arrogance displayed by others of similar backgrounds to be annoying to say the least. Anderson's leaving was not set up by the UW. In fact his discussing UW's standards is a view shared by others no matter what Barry or Bo or any other person associated with UW might say to the press.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »
Apparently, your Vadger buddies care a whole lot. That's why they tar and feather any recruit who's not willing to crawl over broken glass for the privilege of living in Madison for four years.

99% of the fan base accepts that these guys are teenagers making a decision that they think is best for them. There's just as many over the top posters here as there is on any UW board.

Please, don't re-hash the Vander Blue saga either.

As for the actual topic of this thread, Diamond is not going to Marquette. It will be Wisconsin or UCONN, nothing has changed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »

That's my point.  Badger fans blast Henry for being selfish and all about him and saying his parents are overbearing, all the while praising Stone for being more vocal about his confidnece/cockiness/whatever you want to call it and having more handlers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jjfanec

• Walk-On
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:21 AM »
Some poor commentary here.  Saying Dayne and Clay can't read?  I don't think we should go there.

How do you guys know he hasn't reached the minimum qualification with the ACT? I have read elsewhere that is not the issue.

Just because someone meets the NCAA qualifications doesn't mean they will automatically get into UW.  Not sure why this is hard to understand.

So now the fake me is posting fairly normal comments.  This just keeps getting more and more weird.  This is one of the more inspired trolling efforts considering I dont post here much and they used my handle from the scout board.

On to Stone I dont think anyone knows the exact reason he is waiting.  There are rumblings and certain things seem to make sense.  Just like with Nick Noskowiak's or Vander Blue's situation we might never know everything. I have been quick to assume people with "insider knowledge" actually knew what was going on in the past but in the past few months I have moved to being bored (if not slightly disturbed) with all the rumors and speculation.  I am landing on hoping Nick's stuff is resolved and he has a good rest of his senior year and hoping Diamond makes the right college choice for him when the time is right for him.  I will root against teams but rooting against 18-22 year olds is something I something I embarrassingly have done is the past that I dont want to do anymore

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »
99% of the fan base accepts that these guys are teenagers making a decision that they think is best for them. There's just as many over the top posters here as there is on any UW board.

As for the actual topic of this thread, Diamond is not going to Marquette. It will be Wisconsin or UCONN, nothing has changed.

Sorry, nice try, but it's not even close. Vadger fans are in a league of their own. But thanks for stopping by to monitor the situation.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2015, 08:12:37 AM »
The notion that somehow you can't get a person into a university because of lack of certain core classes etc., may be true but it's not an absolute. The key is to understand a student's capabilities and needs. In many cases, they're pretty bright but learn differently.

I suspect some of the athletes we ridicule -- and some the Badger fans ridicule as well -- fall into this category.

In fact, most state universities will consider the whole person. For example, many students who have learning disabilities will get into very good colleges on the basis that with the right type of support, the learning disabled student can perform on par with the general university population. The support is often more intense and may include untimed test taking, note takers, tutors etc.

I can't speak to any one student's issue. But the core of LD support is what's done with many athletic programs. With the right level of support, can a student-athlete do Madison or Marquette work? Or UConn for that matter? Time will tell.

Whether you're Marquette or Wisconsin, give a kid the benefit of a doubt.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »

First, the over the top stuff is worse on the Badger boards, especially for WI kids that don't go to UW, and second, the ones that do it the most on the Badger boards are the more established, regular and "respected" posters.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »
First, the over the top stuff is worse on the Badger boards, especially for WI kids that don't go to UW, and second, the ones that do it the most on the Badger boards are the more established, regular and "respected" posters.

Yup.  The examples of attacking non UW-madison kids and their parents is appalling. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
So why not stay off the Badger boards?

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »
Sam Madden and Craig Evans were both 4* football recruits with tons of Power 5 offers who could not get admitted to Madison who got admitted to Georgia and Michigan State respectively.  Perhaps Stone might get in even with NCAA-minimum quals, but there are 2 well-documented recent examples in football of the point that NCAA minimums don't cut it for athletes at Madison.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/243411861.html
http://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-football-recruiting/2015/1/18/7760617/sam-madden-father-talks-wisconsin-decommitment 

Maybe Stone meets NCAA minimums, doesn't get into Madison, and also doesn't get into UConn or Maryland.  IDK.  But you're basically willfully ignoring facts if you pretend that getting into Madison for athletes is the exact same as every school

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »
Sam Madden and Craig Evans were both 4* football recruits with tons of Power 5 offers who could not get admitted to Madison who got admitted to Georgia and Michigan State respectively.  Perhaps Stone might get in even with NCAA-minimum quals, but there are 2 well-documented recent examples in football of the point that NCAA minimums don't cut it for athletes at Madison.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/243411861.html
http://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-football-recruiting/2015/1/18/7760617/sam-madden-father-talks-wisconsin-decommitment 

Maybe Stone meets NCAA minimums, doesn't get into Madison, and also doesn't get into UConn or Maryland.  IDK.  But you're basically willfully ignoring facts if you pretend that getting into Madison for athletes is the exact same as every school

Apparently Madison education never taught you the difference between correlation and causation.  Just because Craig Evans didn't get into Wisconsin but did another school doesn't mean Madison's standards are higher....just that Madison's mix of student athletes is different right now.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »

I do. But Vadger fans insist on infecting MU boards.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2015, 11:34:34 AM »
Apparently, your Vadger buddies care a whole lot. That's why they tar and feather any recruit who's not willing to crawl over broken glass for the privilege of living in Madison for four five years.

FIFY

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »

+1

This is the MU board, why should any of care what a bunch of badger trolls say?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
FIFY

Good catch. I forgot about all their redshirts.

feedback