[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top 10 Big East Newcomers  (Read 4510 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Top 10 Big East Newcomers
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/10-big-east-newcomers-to-watch-for-051115

Fox Sports article on top 10 newcomers to the Big East next season.  Henry is number one and Haanif is number six.

6) G Haniif Cheatham - Freshman - Marquette
Chatham provides depth to Coach Wojo's class over at Marquette, and with Matt Carlino gone, he has a chance to start right away in the Golden Eagles backcourt. Cheatham is a 4-star shooting guard out of Florida that has the ability to stretch the defense and put the ball on the deck.

1) Henry Ellenson - Freshman - Marquette
Ellenson is Wojo's first signature recruit and Marquette, and he looks to be a great one. He's a top five recruit according to ESPN, and the all-around stud chose Marquette over Kentucky and Michigan State. After a rough season in Milwaukee, Golden Eagles have plenty to be jazzed for in 2015-16.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Top 10 Big East Newcomers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:04 AM »
Ridiculous that they would include guys like Paschall and Foster that aren't eligible to play this year (and thus won't be 2015-16 newcomers) and ignore Creighton guard Mo Watson who could be a first-team all-conference type player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
Ridiculous that they would include guys like Paschall and Foster that aren't eligible to play this year (and thus won't be 2015-16 newcomers) and ignore Creighton guard Mo Watson who could be a first-team all-conference type player.

Thought the same thing........don't the have editors to read something like that and tell the guy..."If you re going to write an article on the top newcomers to watch for next season then it might be a good idea to only include guys that will ...you know.....actually play in 2015/2016...don't you think?"

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
Tyler Lewis (the former McDonalds All-American PG that played on the 44-0 Oak Hill Academy top ranked team in the nation in 2012) transferred from NC State to Butler.

Rumors say at times he was the best player on the court during Butler practices last season.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »

No so much when you realize that it isn't so much a serious sports article as a marketing piece to try and build buzz for next season of Big East basketball on Fox.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »
No so much when you realize that it isn't so much a serious sports article as a marketing piece to try and build buzz for next season of Big East basketball on Fox.

If they want to build buzz for next season, wouldn't they be better served advertising players that will be involved in the next season of Big East basketball on Fox?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 08:48:50 AM »
If they want to build buzz for next season, wouldn't they be better served advertising players that will be involved in the next season of Big East basketball on Fox?

Not if - in their opinion - there aren't ten impressive enough names to make up such a list.  In which case, they'd be pointing out that a ten team league doesn't have as as many impressive newcomers as it has teams which could be damaging to creating buzz.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »

They also included Savage. Three out of Ten can't play next season.

They could have easily replaced them with three big name transfers who can actually play next season: Tyler Lewis for Butler (from NC State), Cole Huff for Creighton (from Nevada), and Maurice Watson Jr. for Creighton (from Boston University).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:10:07 AM »
When there are lines like this:

Like Paschall, Foster will have to sit out a year after sitting out a year due to transfer rules

I tend to think its more of just a really bad writer who doesn't know what he's talking about rather than a writer who has determined that there are not 10 newcomers who are good enough for his list.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »

They could have easily replaced them with three big name transfers who can actually play next season: Tyler Lewis for Butler (from NC State), Cole Huff for Creighton (from Nevada), and Maurice Watson Jr. for Creighton (from Boston University).

Exactly right. Lewis was a McDonald's All-American and part of that ridiculously heralded class for NC State that put Gottfried back on the recruiting map due to three Mickey D's kids. Watson was attracting NBA scouts thanks to not only efficient scoring but a ridiculous (49.9%, #2 in the country) assist rate. He's a top tier PG.

Huff would probably be my third name not mentioned, but Marcus Derrickson at Georgetown or Edmond Sumner at Xavier would be great choices too.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »

Game, set, match.  Okay, it was a bad article.

feedback