[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Month Away Observations  (Read 8920 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Month Away Observations
« on: January 17, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »
Observations from a month on the sidelines of Scoop:

1) Luke Fischer has made a big difference for this team.  Juan Anderson has taken a big step up this year, and though had a couple of tough games today and against Creighton - arguably I'd consider him the MVP of this team up to this point.  Juan has been all over the floor, disruptive, rebounding well, being fairly efficient on the offensive end - he'll be missed next season as I don't see a player on the roster coming back next year or in the recruiting class that brings his intangibles.

2) Team is playing very well defensively, and Wojo has done a good job with regard to making adjustments from his preferred man to man philosophy. Team struggling offensively, though that doesn't come as a surprise - considering chosen lineup and playing time allocation.

3) Believe Wojo is going to struggle as a coach if he is not able to adapt at all to the different types of personalities he will be coaching as a head coach.  Thus far it appears he's only going to be able to coach guys that have a lunch pail mentality, gritty, hard nosed, approach.  Nothing wrong with that, so long as the lunch pail guys are talented enough to win though perhaps lacking in overall skill.

4) JJJ and Cohen need to be playing a lot more - was glad to see Sandy play more minutes today.  His length is very helpful on D end, and he is our best 3 point shooter.

5) Benching JJJ over having a few "bad practices" is pretty extreme, particularly when you only have 7 other scholarship players.  There have been numerous eggs laid by players in games this season that hasn't resulted in them being benched.  Duane Wilson was awful for the better part of the month I was gone, yet he still was given lots of leash, rope and playing time.  Dangerous mind game for Wojo to play in my opinion.

6) 10 games into Buzz's tenure I felt he'd be a great coach, 16 games into Wojo's tenure, and I don't share a similar confidence.  Wojo will be a good ambassador of the program and University - yet he also has to produce and win on the court.  As an X's and O's guy - believe Wojo has "it" - biggest concern is his ability to connect and adapt to players that have a different ilk than him.  Nothing wrong with a my way, or the highway kind of approach, so long as you can win with the guys that you don't run off due to not liking their approach.  We'll see how things go once Wojo has all of his guys on board.  Ultimately I believe it is going to take 3-4 years to come to a conclusion on Wojo.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Month Away Observations
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
No comments about Derrick?
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »
Welcome back.

WRT #6, this is where I think Buzz's nomadic coaching adventure left him a little better able to adapt.  Coached at a number of different programs for a number of different coaches.  Diversity is a good thing, and Wojo doesn't have it in his background.  He will need to grow as a coach to succeed.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
No comments about Derrick?

Guy comes out of rehab, and you offer him a drink?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
Oh how we've missed you.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

What can I say; I love poking the hornet's nest.
Have some patience, FFS.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »
Welcome back Ners.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »

1) Luke Fischer has made a big difference for this team.  Juan Anderson has taken a big step up this year, and though had a couple of tough games today and against Creighton - arguably I'd consider him the MVP of this team up to this point.  Juan has been all over the floor, disruptive, rebounding well, being fairly efficient on the offensive end - he'll be missed next season as I don't see a player on the roster coming back next year or in the recruiting class that brings his intangibles.

2) Team is playing very well defensively, and Wojo has done a good job with regard to making adjustments from his preferred man to man philosophy. Team struggling offensively, though that doesn't come as a surprise - considering chosen lineup and playing time allocation.

3) Believe Wojo is going to struggle as a coach if he is not able to adapt at all to the different types of personalities he will be coaching as a head coach.  Thus far it appears he's only going to be able to coach guys that have a lunch pail mentality, gritty, hard nosed, approach.  Nothing wrong with that, so long as the lunch pail guys are talented enough to win though perhaps lacking in overall skill.

4) JJJ and Cohen need to be playing a lot more - was glad to see Sandy play more minutes today.  His length is very helpful on D end, and he is our best 3 point shooter.

5) Benching JJJ over having a few "bad practices" is pretty extreme, particularly when you only have 7 other scholarship players.  There have been numerous eggs laid by players in games this season that hasn't resulted in them being benched.  Duane Wilson was awful for the better part of the month I was gone, yet he still was given lots of leash, rope and playing time.  Dangerous mind game for Wojo to play in my opinion.

6) 10 games into Buzz's tenure I felt he'd be a great coach, 16 games into Wojo's tenure, and I don't share a similar confidence.  Wojo will be a good ambassador of the program and University - yet he also has to produce and win on the court.  As an X's and O's guy - believe Wojo has "it" - biggest concern is his ability to connect and adapt to players that have a different ilk than him.  Nothing wrong with a my way, or the highway kind of approach, so long as you can win with the guys that you don't run off due to not liking their approach.  We'll see how things go once Wojo has all of his guys on board.  Ultimately I believe it is going to take 3-4 years to come to a conclusion on Wojo.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »
Welcome back.

WRT #6, this is where I think Buzz's nomadic coaching adventure left him a little better able to adapt.  Coached at a number of different programs for a number of different coaches.  Diversity is a good thing, and Wojo doesn't have it in his background.  He will need to grow as a coach to succeed.

10 games into Buzz's tenure he had 4 of the top ten all time leading scorers in Marquette history playing for him. Hard to make too even of a comparison when Buzz inherited our most talented team in 20 years and Wojo inherited a team that is far less overwhelming.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »
10 games into Buzz's tenure he had 4 of the top ten all time leading scorers in Marquette history playing for him. Hard to make too even of a comparison when Buzz inherited our most talented team in 20 years and Wojo inherited a team that is far less overwhelming.

Really?  Any roster with Wade on it had more talent on it.  The sweet 16 2011-2012 team had more talent as well with DJO, Crowder, Blue, Gardner, Jamil, and freshman Mayo.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Class71

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
I think Buzz recognized last year that he had some real issues with some players and that was why he did not play them. This year Wojo still sees issues with at least one or two that are left on the squad. In the adult world there are consequences for actions. Some young players learn and change, some do not and fight the system. For those who do not change it is for everyone's benefit if they move on. It is very difficult to succeed in the competitive world and if you do not have the fire in the belly there are plenty of others who can replace you that do. This season is an opportunity to align this team to some standards. Wojo is showing his leadership by sitting those who just don't get.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brandx

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »

2) Maybe Wojo is teaching the master. Coach K used a zone extensively today (1st time I recall that ever happening) after the Dookies were brutal on 'D' the last 2 games.

3) I see no evidence of this. If a guy doesn't want play hard in a game or practice, it is on the player - not the coach. I (and I'm guessing everyone here other than you, Wojo's mojo and Willie) would not want a coach who doesn't demand effort.

5) Disagree with every word in this one.

6) See my comment on #5

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »

Excellente, Senor!  +10
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
10 games into Buzz's tenure nobody was sure he'd be a great coach. He had that really bizarre episode with McIlvaine and his quirks, which people warmed up to, made him appear off balance. I think his success helped smooth out his eccentricities, but 10 games in I wasn't sure he'd last. Btw, I was a HUGE fan of Buzz and I'm still deciding if I wish him success. I found him very likable and possibly the second best coach Marquette has ever had.

Claiming you knew he'd be a great coach that early is just not possible.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »

Welcome back.

I agree with 3,4,5 and 6 and was going to post to the effect. Your words were well stated.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
The kiss of death.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »
Pretty much every coach has a my way or the highway approach to some extent.

You either do what the coach wants or you don't play. Buzz had the same approach as did Crean and KO. Bo Ryan is also a perfect example.

The bench is the best teacher...Buzz said it numerous times and benched guys  for various transgressions.

Has nothing to do with personalities....has everything to do with attitude, effort and focus.

Think of it this way....nobody wants to win more then the coach and yet he benched the kid knowing he only had 7 guys without him.

To me that tells you that it wasn't just a few bad practices...it was something that was building up and Wojo finally had to draw the line.

Now it is up to JJ(not Wojo) to learn from this and earn his way back into the rotation.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:49:54 PM by MuMark »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
Pretty much every coach has a my way or the highway approach to some extent.

You either do what the coach wants or you don't play. Buzz had the same approach as did Crean and KO. Bo Ryan is also a perfect example.

The bench is the best teacher...Buzz said it numerous times and benched guys  for various transgressions.

Has nothing to do with personalities....has everything to do with attitude, effort and focus.

Think of it this way....nobody wants to win more then the coach and yet he benched the kid knowing he only had 7 guys without him.

To me that tells you that it wasn't just a few bad practices...it was something that was building up and Wojo finally had to draw the line.

Now it is up to JJ(not Wojo) to learn from this and earn his way back into the rotation.

I agree with much of what you post however I will say the bench can also be "teacher" for a kid to transfer right out of a program.

Personally, I'd prefer for a 5-star, Top 40 recruit like JJJ, who has shown flashes of very good talent, much like Burton, to not transfer out of the program.

I also disagree that coaching has "nothing to do with personalities."  The best coaches learn what approach best motivates and inspires their players.  And not all players are motivated the same.  Additionally, not all players play with the same personality/emotion.  Jae Crowder played with great spirit and emotion, and also was productive and talented - a great combination.  A guy like Jimmy Butler wasn't outwardly emotive, yet had an inner drive/fire that burned bright.  Take a guy like Paul George - he doesn't look like he's playing with crazy intensity - but the guy can play.

As another poster pointed out - guys like JJJ and Jamail Jones - their personalities aren't hardcore - yet that doesn't mean they aren't good players, aren't trying hard enough, etc.  I hope Wojo can recognize that not all players are going to be him - a floor slapping, hypomanic, scrappy, pesky variety.  Wojo had to be that way to be able to play high major ball, other guys can get it done in a more cerebral and serene way.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »
Something tells me that the issues Wojo is dealing with regarding JJJ aren't simply a matter of personality and emotion.  Really if sitting on the bench to learn a lesson about how hard you need to practice causes him to transfer, then fine.  Go ahead.  Such a player will never been much of a contributor on a good team anyway.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 08:19:27 PM »
Something tells me that the issues Wojo is dealing with regarding JJJ aren't simply a matter of personality and emotion.  Really if sitting on the bench to learn a lesson about how hard you need to practice causes him to transfer, then fine.  Go ahead.  Such a player will never been much of a contributor on a good team anyway.
What do you think they are?

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »

1. Agree..but think it will swing Carlino's way and he will be team MVP by year end. Really need Juan out there though. He's really our only good rebounder.

2. I like the defense this year. Will be nice to have a full squad playing that kind of D in years to come.

3. I think that's overstated. He will adjust eventually. I'm not worried about the recruiting. I'm confident this staff will bring high major talent to MU.

4. They've both had bad games this year, but who hasn't. Who knows the reason JJJ didn't play today, but I think our depth is making it difficult for MU to sustain any type of lead. I think throwing new looks at teams is important. This includes lineup changes even if only for a few possessions before a media timeout.

5. Sucks but more I think about it I respect the decisions. Who is in charge here ?

6. Most coaches would look good with 3 NBA players on the team..none of which were even considered the top 2 players on the team. Can thank the tan one for that. Buzz was a big and a roll of the ankle away from having a title contender that year. Not the same situation for wojo so Ill give him time.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 08:41:26 PM »
 "I hope Wojo can recognize that not all players are going to be him - a floor slapping, hypomanic, scrappy, pesky variety"

Duane Wilson isn't like that and he seems to be adjusting just fine.....ditto for Juan and Luke.

Wojo has coached a bunch of guys at Duke and with USA basketball that weren't pesky, floor slapping hypomaniacs.

I think you are making something out of nothing to suit your agenda.

He wants guys that play team basketball and focused on making the right play.....I hope JJ doesn't leave but as of now he has played for 2 different coaches and they both have had issues with him.......maybe the coaches aren't the problem?

He still has time to get it....some kids take longer then others(Vander) some quit rather then change(Maymon).....and some never seem to get it....(Mayo)....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »
What do you think they are?

I think they are about hard work and practice habits.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
I think they are about hard work and practice habits.
It seemed that in the Creighton game, Wojo gave JJJ the quick hook when he made a mistake. The thing that was puzzling to me was that the mistakes were made from playing very hard. For example He went up to block a shot got called for goal tending. Wojo immediately yanks him. Same with a drive he made to the basket and gets completely hacked but the refs called no foul etc I have a hard time punishing a kid when thy are giving max effort during the game. I will say I did see a very pouty attitude from JJJ. I think it is likely that transferred to practice. I think it is true though that other kids have longer leashes and that can be difficult for a kid to accept.

We need JJJ to truly compete and win. He has a lot of talent that can't be taught. Coaches are going to have to figure out a way to bring it out. JJJ is basically a happy go lucky kid. My approach with him would be more carrot than stick, but that is just my way of doing things.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »
It seemed that in the Creighton game, Wojo gave JJJ the quick hook when he made a mistake. The thing that was puzzling to me was that the mistakes were made from playing very hard. For example He went up to block a shot got called for goal tending. Wojo immediately yanks him. Same with a drive he made to the basket and gets completely hacked but the refs called no foul etc I have a hard time punishing a kid when thy are giving max effort during the game. I will say I did see a very pouty attitude from JJJ. I think it is likely that transferred to practice. I think it is true though that other kids have longer leashes and that can be difficult for a kid to accept.

We need JJJ to truly compete and win. He has a lot of talent that can't be taught. Coaches are going to have to figure out a way to bring it out. JJJ is basically a happy go lucky kid. My approach with him would be more carrot than stick, but that is just my way of doing things.

Agree 100% with everything...bolded especially.  I'm sure JJJ is frustrated seeing other players get longer leashes.  Obviously Carlino has some great moments, but there are plenty of times he forces things, has turnovers, etc., that are maddening - but he gets to play through them.  I don't have an issue with Carlino's turnovers at times as frustrating as they are - because again he is playing hard, playing aggressive, attacking - much like JJJ does, as does Duane.  

Duane was awful for the better part of the last month since the Wisconsin game, yet his minutes have remained pretty consistent.  In general all of our guards have been inconsistent and spotty in their play, yet JJJ is way down the list in terms of minutes played.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
I think you two are watching games in some alternate universe.  I haven't noticed JJJ getting any shorter a leash than any of the other guards.  Of the remaining players, he is seventh in the team in minutes.  But that is still 20+ mpg.  I think that's about right given his production. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »
I think you two are watching games in some alternate universe.  I haven't noticed JJJ getting any shorter a leash than any of the other guards.  Of the remaining players, he is seventh in the team in minutes.  But that is still 20+ mpg.  I think that's about right given his production. 
He definitely got a shorter lease in the Creighton. For example, when JJJ first came in the game we were behind, he hustled got some boards and good things happened. He makes a hustle defensive play gets called for a goal tending and his butt was back on the bench. Similarly, later in the game, he gets wide open on a fast break, Derrick holds the ball way too long and passes it to him practically under the hoop, he makes an athletic play to in an attempt to save the ball back to Derrick. Who comes out? Not Derrick, JJJ did.

As to his production, in recent games he has been hustling hard on the boards and doing lots of other things to help the team. The 20 plus minutes of playing time are where he needs to be. Not 12 and not zero. 

I can't really speak to what he is doing in practice , it may be that the coaches say things to him and he continues to repeat them in games. I truly can't imagine him not working hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:45 AM »
Ners, TW, Mojo vs the world

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 01:02:58 AM »
Really?  Any roster with Wade on it had more talent on it.  The sweet 16 2011-2012 team had more talent as well with DJO, Crowder, Blue, Gardner, Jamil, and freshman Mayo.

Neither of those teams had more talent.

They had Dominic James, Wesley Matthews, Jeral McNeal, Lazar Hayward, Jimmy butler, Dwight Burke and two very capable backups in Acker and Cubillan. It was a very beast team and the one that was easily the most competitive, they just had some tough luck in the tournament.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »

I'd take 2008-09 over any of those when you factor in timing. Wade's best team was 2003, but while I'd take him over Jerel, I'd take James, Matthews, and Hayward as upperclassmen over Jackson, Merritt, and Diener as a soph. I'd also take Jimmy as a sophomore over Novak as a freshman off the bench. Wade is a huge factor, but I'm not sure he was that much better than McNeal as a college player that it'd offset the other positions.

When it comes to 2011-12, the argument is basically that Crowder and DJO were so much better than McNeal and Matthews as seniors that it offsets how much better James and Hayward were than anyone else on the 2011-12 team. 2011-12 was deeper, but it wasn't better.

If James stays healthy, we probably win the Big East regular season title and get a #1 seed in the NCAAs. That was our best chance at a title since 1977 had we been able to go into the tournament healthy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »
Welcome back.

I agree with 3,4,5 and 6 and was going to post to the effect. Your words were well stated.

So you disagree with his two positive points and agree with all of his negative points? What happened to you TW? Why so cynical this season?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

connie

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »
Glad to have you back. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
TW, you have brought up JjJ getting sent to the bench because of goaltending.

1. Goaltending is an unforgivable basketball sin, any player would get sent to the bench for that.
2. Right before that, he also made a poor play on offense. So it was two bad plays in a row, not 1.
3. Other players don't have longer leashes. They don't make as many boneheaded mistakes as JjJ does.
4. JjJ has been about our seventh best player this season, but he is still getting about 20 minutes a game. He has no right to complain about playing time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.