[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The real atrocity this season  (Read 10549 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
The real atrocity this season
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:35:51 AM »
The guy who runs the stats on the scoreboard. Holy crap is he slow as crap at it.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
Re: The real atrocity this season
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
Don't mean to be the grammar police but you used a double crap there and that's just messy.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:45 AM »
Last night's intro videos were horrendous. Probably the worst syncing of player to video I've seen. Also, I may be wrong, but I think they forgot to announce Will Artino for Creighton. Seems like the announcer only said 4 Jays starters.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:11 AM »
Last night's intro videos were horrendous. Probably the worst syncing of player to video I've seen. Also, I may be wrong, but I think they forgot to announce Will Artino for Creighton. Seems like the announcer only said 4 Jays starters.
There have been many moments this year where I wish that was the case.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »
It's been absolutely pathetic.  I can't think of one home game I've been to that I didn't have an issue with the board not being updated.  A couple games ago it took 10 minutes or more to put up Sandy's threes on consecutive possessions.  Points and substitutions can lag for minutes.  What gives?  Get some video nerd in there to 1) update the equipment; or 2) pay friggin' attention.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
Been really, really bad.  Don't think it's the technology but rather the operation/direction of that technology.  Last night they royally butchered intros and the scoreboard stats were routinely 5 minutes behind.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
The scoreboard updates for player substitutions has been terrible for couple of years now, I haven't noticed that problem at the Bucks games at the BC.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »
I've noticed the same thing with the stats on the scoreboard... I think the technical term for the phenomenon is "operator error."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
The scoreboard updates for player substitutions has been terrible for couple of years now, I haven't noticed that problem at the Bucks games at the BC.

Agreed. I remember noticing these problems at the beginning of last season and they've carried through 1.5 years now. Really bad.

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 11:30:19 AM »
The scoreboard has been so bad that I've actually started to assume there's some sort of technical difficulty behind it. I'm sure everyone knows the feeling of looking at the scoreboard and being unsure if it was changed before you looked or if it is still going to change, just trust it hasn't changed.

I've started to pull up my sportscenter app during games to follow the stats on there instead. It's sad, but it updates much quicker, even in the cellular dead zone of the 400s.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
Probably a case where the operator has been donating his time for years. It has now become his identity.  No one has the heart to tell him it is time to go.

I get very frustrated with this also. I will see a foul and check to see how many that is on the player and he won't be listed as even in the game. Substitutions are particularly bad.

If I were president,  things would be a lot different!

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
Don't mean to be the grammar police but you used a double crap there and that's just messy.

Go big or go home!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
My wife noticed during one of the non-con games this season that MU players were listed on the scoreboard with last name followed by 1st name but the visitors (NJIT?) were listed with 1st name followed by their last name but that hasn't happened again (yet!)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:41:09 PM by Michael Kenyon »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
The way the Bucks do lineups and stats on the board is so much cleaner. I don't know why MU can't do it that way as well.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »
The way the Bucks do lineups and stats on the board is so much cleaner. I don't know why MU can't do it that way as well.

This.  I wish Marquette would do something similar to the Bucks on the top ribbon screen.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »

People honestly don't realize just how difficult it is to reprogram a scoreboard from four quarters to two halves.

That does it.... Marquette needs its own scoreboard, and since the BC doesn't have room for two scoreboards, MU will just have to build their own arena.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 12:50:30 AM »
People honestly don't realize just how difficult it is to reprogram a scoreboard from four quarters to two halves.

Ehhh not sure if supposed to be teal or not, but coming from a programmer all you would need to do is at a minimum change the FprintF to Half instead of quarter. Then just run two quarters, the end.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 06:59:20 AM »
I'm going to lean towards teal. Any modern scoreboard should have loadable templates so you can click from Bucks to Marquette with the click of a button. I can't imagine this is anything other than operator error/laziness.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 07:45:09 AM »
Judging from the open Learfield Sports spots, I am willing to guess MU is experiencing some staffing issues on their account.

http://m.gomarquette.com/m/athletic-dept/marq-athletic-dept.html

As to the reprogramming issues Benny has uncoverd, I am hearing that the bigger issue between the Bucks versus Marquette is the code on personal fouls of 6 vs. 5.  A comparison was made to the Y2K event was made.  Hiroshima III?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:38 AM »
If nothing else, stop using the first names on the board and it would make a huge difference.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
If nothing else, stop using the first names on the board and it would make a huge difference.

That might actually work.  Consider the fact that scoreboard computers process everything with the exact opposite logic that a human would... let me put this in layman's terms: if you have two players identified as "Wilson," a human being wants to know who is who.  But when a scoreboard sees two players named "Wilson," its immediate reaction is more along the lines of "why can't I just call all of these guys Wilson?"

It's an extremely complex algorithm necessary to get the scoreboard to do what you want it to do, so it would probably be easier to just let the scoreboard do whatever it wants to do.  Bashing keys on a keyboard is hard work.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
Usually I avoid threads that are filled with alumni complaining whatever off the court perceived atrocity Marquette is committing. This one however, I agree with. The scoreboard operator has to be asleep at the wheel. I have only been to one home game this season but we were talking 10 minute delays for getting stats up. I can't imagine that it is that hard of a job.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »
That might actually work.  Consider the fact that scoreboard computers process everything with the exact opposite logic that a human would... let me put this in layman's terms: if you have two players identified as "Wilson," a human being wants to know who is who.  But when a scoreboard sees two players named "Wilson," its immediate reaction is more along the lines of "why can't I just call all of these guys Wilson?"

It's an extremely complex algorithm necessary to get the scoreboard to do what you want it to do, so it would probably be easier to just let the scoreboard do whatever it wants to do.  Bashing keys on a keyboard is hard work.

uhhh I don't know what kind of programming work you've done, but your logic seems grounded in the late 80's style of programming. We've advanced way farther then what you think. Simply I'm almost positive the scoreboard is just a gui that's being projected from a windows operating system. You're making it out to be way more complicated then it actually is.

To the person who was talking about the 6/5 personal fouls. That should have nothing to do with the scoreboard, the ref's and gamebooks aren't tied to the scoreboard at all. And if there truely was a glitch with 6/5, they could just run the 6 personal fouls setup, and just stop at 5.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »
uhhh I don't know what kind of programming work you've done, but your logic seems grounded in the late 80's style of programming. We've advanced way farther then what you think. Simply I'm almost positive the scoreboard is just a gui that's being projected from a windows operating system. You're making it out to be way more complicated then it actually is.

To the person who was talking about the 6/5 personal fouls. That should have nothing to do with the scoreboard, the ref's and gamebooks aren't tied to the scoreboard at all. And if there truely was a glitch with 6/5, they could just run the 6 personal fouls setup, and just stop at 5.

I may be mistaken but I think there was a lot of teal going on
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
As to the reprogramming issues Benny has uncoverd, I am hearing that the bigger issue between the Bucks versus Marquette is the code on personal fouls of 6 vs. 5.  A comparison was made to the Y2K event was made.  Hiroshima III?

Seeing how the abacus groups by fives, I would think the Bucks are the problem here.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
I may be mistaken but I think there was a lot of teal going on

I'd hope so, or he was given a ton of misinformation

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 11:18:53 PM »
I'd hope so, or he was given a ton of misinformation

This is why teal should NEVER be used...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 12:17:04 AM »
this has been the best 10 days on scoop, ever.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 01:18:06 AM »
this has been the best 10 days on scoop, ever.

Benny finally got me with a troll. I hate you.

feedback