[Today at 11:22:27 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Professionals vs Humanities at Marquette  (Read 5464 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Professionals vs Humanities at Marquette
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 02:02:16 PM »
Granted it was many years ago but I recall bringing a Harvard Business a Review article to a conversation with the B School dean. The article posited that students should emphasize the arts and humanities during undergrad and then concentrate on business courses in grad school as it would make for more well-rounded individuals.

I think we discussed this same article in a graduate class; someone commented something to the effect of "it doesn't matter what your major was, all undergraduate degrees are basically garbage any way... that's why we're all here."  There was an eerie silence for about 10 seconds while we all reconciled what was said.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:32 AM »
I think we discussed this same article in a graduate class; someone commented something to the effect of "it doesn't matter what your major was, all undergraduate degrees are basically garbage any way... that's why we're all here."  There was an eerie silence for about 10 seconds while we all reconciled what was said.

That notion may be right. When I graduated in 1969, double major in chemistry and biology, with a BS my first job paid 9000 dollars. Back then gasoline cost from any where between 23 and 32 cents a gallon, a new car between 2000 and 3000 dollars and the median price for a house at least here in New Jersey was 20 to 30 thousand dollars. Today gas costs as of now 2.20 a  gallon; you can but a nice car for 20 -30K and a nice house for 200 - 300k. Are graduates with a BS in chemistry and biology starting at 90000 thousand a year today?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 11:34:28 AM »
That notion may be right. When I graduated in 1969, double major in chemistry and biology, with a BS my first job paid 9000 dollars. Back then gasoline cost from any where between 23 and 32 cents a gallon, a new car between 2000 and 3000 dollars and the median price for a house at least here in New Jersey was 20 to 30 thousand dollars. Today gas costs as of now 2.20 a  gallon; you can but a nice car for 20 -30K and a nice house for 200 - 300k. Are graduates with a BS in chemistry and biology starting at 90000 thousand a year today?

No, I would guess they make 60-70k right out of undergrad. When you put it that way, purchasing power has gone down 33%

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
No, I would guess they make 60-70k right out of undergrad. When you put it that way, purchasing power has gone down 33%

Except our definitions of "nice car" and "nice house" have changed a lot since 1969.  While I agree that purchasing power has decreased, I would argue that it isn't by that amount.  We have a bunch of nicer things that we did back then.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/04/15/college-degrees-with-the-highest-starting-salaries-3/

(data 2ish years old) Engineering clocks in for your range, but sciences below.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »

Cool story, but those are tests. I see it in person, and just basic writing creativity is severely lacking (along with significant typos and simple errors).

And comparing essentially these hand-eye coordination practices (which are nothing new btw) to developing writing skills is well...strange.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
Cool story, but those are tests. I see it in person, and just basic writing creativity is severely lacking (along with significant typos and simple errors).

And comparing essentially these hand-eye coordination practices (which are nothing new btw) to developing writing skills is well...strange.

I think you're taking the cartoon too seriously...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »

Though true I would also say the value of a BS or BA degree has decreased as well.