[June 17, 2024, 07:22:01 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by The Equalizer
[June 17, 2024, 12:55:56 PM]

NBA green room by muwarrior97
[June 17, 2024, 12:30:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Concussions and Basketball  (Read 6697 times)

forgetful

• All American
Concussions and Basketball
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
Apparently Frank Kaminsky suffered a concussion prior to the Purdue game (which he played), but ended up sitting out against Rutgers because of the severity.

This brings a great question.  In football, one has to be evaluated if exhibiting concussion-like symptoms and cannot return until they have been resolved.  In the case of Kaminsky, it appears, that he was allowed to play an entire game, where afterwards he couldn't attend a press conference, because he was so ill. 

Should policies be in place to make sure that this doesn't happen.  Obviously, Kaminsky, like most athletes, is a tough kid and doesn't want to sit out.  Most coaching staffs will not allow a kid to play (override their decision) to protect the kids health.  That didn't appear to happen here.  Does it need to be forced.

What would your opinion be if Wojo allowed a player to risk life-long brain injuries to win a game?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Concussions and Basketball
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 03:57:19 PM »
In football, one has to be evaluated if exhibiting concussion-like symptoms and cannot return until they have been resolved

^ IIRC, that's only in the NFL not college, does the NCAA have a concussion protocol yet?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
[quote author=forgetful link=topic=46052.msg686405#msg686405 date=1421185679

What would your opinion be if Wojo allowed a player to risk life-long brain injuries to win a game?

[/quote]

Is it a late season conference game that we need to secure a good seed or is this just a Tues. Night in November?  ;)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »

I don't mean this in a bad way, but I'm indifferent.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »
Apparently Frank Kaminsky suffered a concussion prior to the Purdue game (which he played), but ended up sitting out against Rutgers because of the severity.

This brings a great question.  In football, one has to be evaluated if exhibiting concussion-like symptoms and cannot return until they have been resolved.  In the case of Kaminsky, it appears, that he was allowed to play an entire game, where afterwards he couldn't attend a press conference, because he was so ill. 

Should policies be in place to make sure that this doesn't happen.  Obviously, Kaminsky, like most athletes, is a tough kid and doesn't want to sit out.  Most coaching staffs will not allow a kid to play (override their decision) to protect the kids health.  That didn't appear to happen here.  Does it need to be forced.

Concussions are rare in basketball. Better that a kid doesn't play if he has one and maybe it is time for the NCAA to set a protocol that extends across all sports.

But it's not like a kid with a concussion is going to be banging heads numerous times like you would expect with a football player.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
I've boxed through concussoins these kids need to toughen up.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »
and your posts are proof of that...kidding.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »

You coulda been a contender.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
and your posts are proof of that...kidding.

I laughed would've even if it was serious.

You coulda been a contender.

Years from now I'm gonna be stuck on a loop telling how I should've just said no mas in golden gloves and then I'd have had my shot against mayweather.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
Concussions are rare in basketball. Better that a kid doesn't play if he has one and maybe it is time for the NCAA to set a protocol that extends across all sports.

But it's not like a kid with a concussion is going to be banging heads numerous times like you would expect with a football player.

I agree they are not common.  In my years I played a lot of basketball, got 3 concussions playing.  But it does happen.  One of the reasons I brought it up, is that his condition may have been exacerbated by a flagrant foul against Purdue, so he may have taken a risk and had it affect him.

The effects of concussions add up and aren't fully experienced for many years.  I would hope our staff would be more prudent.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 10:07:47 AM »
my boss' daughter is still getting over a concussion she suffered last spring playing AAU soccer

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
my boss' daughter is still getting over a concussion she suffered last spring playing AAU soccer

I'm part of a group which raised a little over $3M to design and implement a turf field for a small Catholic school in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. We were not surprised when we were warned not to place too much emphasis on the fact football would be played on the field, for high school football's long-term impact is debatable due to fear of concussions.

What was surprising (at least to me) was the number of concussions from high school soccer.  Interestingly, girls' soccer produces 40% more concussion than boys', (I haven't paid attention to enough soccer to explain why).

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »

I have heard that concussions are a huge problem in soccer

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »
Speaking of concussions, Creighton is apparently letting Austin Chatman play tonight despite having a concussion four days ago. I'm not a medical professional, but that seems unnecessarily risky to me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »
My wife got a concussion back in Feb. 2013 while we tried to clean up our walkways and driveway from the 3-feet of snow dumped by the blizzard.  A glob of snow/ice slid off the bay window on our house and clocked her in the head.  It took like 4 months before she finally felt better.

She accidently bumped her head this October and all the concussion symptoms all came back except even worse than the first time.  She's still concussed today (3/4 months later).  Doctors have preached patience as time will heal it, but it's been miserable few months.  She's tried a few medications, but the side effects seem to be worse from them than just dealing with a horrible headache.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 01:50:38 PM »
I don't mean this in a bad way, but I'm indifferent.

Did you mean, "I don't mean this in a condenscending way?"

brandx

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 04:02:35 PM »

What was surprising (at least to me) was the number of concussions from high school soccer.  Interestingly, girls' soccer produces 40% more concussion than boys', (I haven't paid attention to enough soccer to explain why).

My guess is that boys play contact sports from an early age and are thus more skilled in dealing with contact plays (how to hit, how to protect yourself when being hit, etc.).

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 04:19:22 PM »

Pics?

PS- I've been concussed multiple times & obviously still sharp as a nerf dart.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:21:04 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 04:22:58 PM »
Remember that decent Canadian 3b got a concussion while a Brewer and never played again.  Canadians....pfft.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »
Pics?

just keep following her on Twitter you perv

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »
Pics?

One in hs football against Arrowhead.  Thinking about sueing them soon.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
Repeated concussions  can be terrible. I dont think its worth the risk to play someone. One that comes to mind is Marc Savard who used to play for the Bruins. Had his career ended and could never really return.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
Remember that decent Canadian 3b got a concussion while a Brewer and never played again.  Canadians....pfft.

Corey Koskie.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/koskico01.shtml

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »
There's the guy.  He was having a pretty good year when it happened too.  Might have finished around 20 hrs 65 rbi's mid .800 OPS.  Think Russel the muscle Branyan might have replaced him in platoon fashion.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 05:17:42 PM »
Corey lives here (Twin Cities). I think he owns a couple of Planet Fitness locations here. I roll wit Lifetime though.

26th rounder or so... good draft pick by YOUR Minnesota Twins.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.