[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Legend is Retirin'  (Read 8863 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
The Legend is Retirin'
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »
Stew is pullin' the plug. Say it isn't so, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DiaperDandy

• Starter
Re: The Legend is Retirin'
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
Tommy's finally calling it quits??? He must be tired of hanging banners ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »

Wojo to Logan???

brandx

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »
Just wonderin' if this thread is about me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »
611-287

Ranked in the top 10 coaches by his peers.   Great coach.  If you can win in Logan, Utah in college basketball....you're doing something right.

I'm enjoying some of the reporting tonight on television, the web, etc:   ;D

"Never one for the spotlight, the longtime Utah State basketball coach pretty much had to be there, center stage. That’s what happens when a legend announces his retirement."

or

More importantly, though, was how they did it, the legendary coach said.  "We ran a basketball program the right way, in my mind. I've got peace with that," Morrill said. "We graduated our players at a high level, we didn't cheat, believe it or not, and we won enough games to keep working. I'm proud of that, and I feel good about it."

or

"Legendary Utah State basketball coach Stew Morrill will retire at the end of the season."

or

"At Utah State, Morrill has become a legend."

or

"It's the reason Gonzaga laid a full court press on Mawien this year--hoping to lure him to Spokane--and it's the reason why in-state schools like Utah State and legendary coach Stew Morrill did everything it could to get him to come to Logan."

etc

;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »
Was a JUCO AA himself to add to his legend, while also recruiting heavily from JUCOs and Prep schools--very untraditional and a bit squirmy under some standards. Is Utah State just a stepping stone job?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »
Was a JUCO AA himself to add to his legend, while also recruiting heavily from JUCOs and Prep schools--very untraditional and a bit squirmy under some standards. Is Utah State just a stepping stone job?

Recruiting JUCO's is only squirmy when Buzz does it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »

Third thread started by 4ever in three days .. no idea what it means.

Any chance you'll ever start adding context to your threads?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:19:27 PM »

Aina?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »

C'mon man, this was a 65 mph fastball tossed up there with no movement.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »
Currently in his 29th year coaching D1 college basketball, his NCAA tournament record (1-9) stands as the 2nd worst ever among coaches with 5 or more appearances. His NIT record (0-6) is even worse. The stuff of legends.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:17:23 PM by Lennys Tap »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »
Currently in his 29th year coaching D1 college basketball, his NCAA tournament record (1-9) stands as the 2nd worst ever among coaches with 5 or more appearances. His NIT record (0-6) is even worse. The stuff of legends.

That's just rolling snake eyes in the crap shoot. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:41:02 PM »
Legend in the minds of Utah media and Chicos....

611-287

Ranked in the top 10 coaches by his peers.   Great coach.  If you can win in Logan, Utah in college basketball....you're doing something right.

I'm enjoying some of the reporting tonight on television, the web, etc:   ;D

"Never one for the spotlight, the longtime Utah State basketball coach pretty much had to be there, center stage. That’s what happens when a legend announces his retirement."

or

More importantly, though, was how they did it, the legendary coach said.  "We ran a basketball program the right way, in my mind. I've got peace with that," Morrill said. "We graduated our players at a high level, we didn't cheat, believe it or not, and we won enough games to keep working. I'm proud of that, and I feel good about it."

or

"Legendary Utah State basketball coach Stew Morrill will retire at the end of the season."

or

"At Utah State, Morrill has become a legend."

or

"It's the reason Gonzaga laid a full court press on Mawien this year--hoping to lure him to Spokane--and it's the reason why in-state schools like Utah State and legendary coach Stew Morrill did everything it could to get him to come to Logan."

etc

;)

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
He does have all of 1 NCAA wins, I guess they lowered the bar for "Legendary"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
One of the definitions of legend is:  "a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits."

He meets this definition. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »

C'mon man, this was a 65 mph fastball tossed up there with no movement.

Pretty clear to most, aina?

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 09:49:03 PM »
One of the definitions of legend is:  "a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits."

He meets this definition. 

Agreed.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
He does have all of 1 NCAA wins, I guess they lowered the bar for "Legendary"

Because there are coaches out there that bring programs to a certain level that most coaches cannot, considering the talent, location, etc.  Have any of you ever been to Logan, Utah.  I have....it's amazing they can field a team.

You can be a legendary coach for a number of reasons, not winning a bunch of NCAA tournament games isn't always one. 

Pat Kennedy won 6 NCAA tournament games, is he more legendary?

Let's use common sense gentlemen.  He's a legendary coach and it is good to see the national pundits and his fellow coaches concur. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »
Because there are coaches out there that bring programs to a certain level that most coaches cannot, considering the talent, location, etc.  Have any of you ever been to Logan, Utah.  I have....it's amazing they can field a team.

You can be a legendary coach for a number of reasons, not winning a bunch of NCAA tournament games isn't always one. 

Let's use common sense gentlemen.  He's a legendary coach and it is good to see the national pundits and his fellow coaches concur. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=logan,+ut&espv=2&biw=1083&bih=632&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1_-7VO-bKMmlNomRgsgJ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&dpr=1#imgdii=_

Yeah, that looks like a really difficult setting to get used to...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Because there are coaches out there that bring programs to a certain level that most coaches cannot, considering the talent, location, etc.  Have any of you ever been to Logan, Utah.  I have....it's amazing they can field a team.

Let's use common sense gentlemen.  He's a legendary coach and it is good to see the national pundits and his fellow coaches concur.  

Don't exaggerate.  Utah State was a NCAA participant in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.  His immediate predecessor got them to the NCAAs the year before ole Stew got there.  That predecessor?  Larry Eustachy.  Where is he now?  Colorado State.  Where ole Stew was before Utah State?  Colorado State...where he had a worse winning percentage than Eustachy currently does.

As I said, Stew is a legend in that he "a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits."  

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »

Don't exaggerate.  Utah State was a NCAA participant in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.  His immediate predecessor got them to the NCAAs the year before ole Stew got there.  That predecessor?  Larry Eustachy.  Where is he now?  Colorado State.  Where ole Stew was before Utah State?  Colorado State...where he had a worse winning percentage than Eustachy currently does.

As I said, Stew is a legend in that he "a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits."  

Don't bring up facts Sultan.  That's not fair.  The man is a legend.  Eustachy clearly is the most legendary coach out there, so of course Stew looks like a mere mortal compared to him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=logan,+ut&espv=2&biw=1083&bih=632&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1_-7VO-bKMmlNomRgsgJ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&dpr=1#imgdii=_

Yeah, that looks like a really difficult setting to get used to...

So is Hawaii, that must be why they are yearly in the top 10 in football and basketball........

The drive from Salt Lake to Logan takes you to highway 89, in the middle of nowhere.  This is where you go if you want nothing to do, no excitement, watch the birds.  It is a white dude sedentary haven...the safest place in the USA.   Literally.  Less than 1% African American, 90% white.  Not exactly the place a bunch of college basketball prospects are clamoring to attend. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 01:10:54 PM »
So is Hawaii, that must be why they are yearly in the top 10 in football and basketball........

The drive from Salt Lake to Logan takes you to highway 89, in the middle of nowhere.  This is where you go if you want nothing to do, no excitement, watch the birds.  It is a white dude sedentary haven...the safest place in the USA.   Literally.  Less than 1% African American, 90% white.  Not exactly the place a bunch of college basketball prospects are clamoring to attend. 

Sounds like Bloomington

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »

When pundits start talking about Larry Eustachy as legendary, let me know.

You're smarter than this, it's about where you start.  What was the program like that Stew took over at CSU vs Eustachy?  Morrill left CSU with two consecutive 20 win seasons.  Morrill took over a 15-14 team at CSU from Tiny Grant.  Eustachy took over a NCAA second round team from the year before from Tim Miles....current coach at Nebraska.

This is as much about regional credibility as anything, and he is a legend in the western part of this country and has been for a long time....glad Stew is getting his accolades nationally.  He should.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
Morrill wasn't just bad in the postseason. He was epic bad, the anti Wooden. 1-9 in the NCAAs, 0-6 in the NIT, 1-15 overall. Worst of all time among coaches with at least one post season win. If he was average, below average or even downright bad he might have been a legend, but he was THE WORST OF ALL TIME. That's not what legends are made of.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
Well that settles it.  I'm moving to Logan, where I can be downright mediocre, but still be viewed as a "legend" as long as my mediocrity goes on for a long time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
Well that settles it.  I'm moving to Logan, where I can be downright mediocre, but still be viewed as a "legend" as long as my mediocrity goes on for a long time.

To be fair to Stew, he was also medicre in Missoula and Ft Collins.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
Yea, but did Stew flush his own toilet??

Death on call