[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Xfinity vs Uverse vs Dish vs DirecTV  (Read 3808 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Xfinity vs Uverse vs Dish vs DirecTV
« on: January 06, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »
I've had WOW for cable and internet for about 10 years. I've been happy with them and recommended them to friends. I received a letter from them last week saying that my cost is going to increase by over 25%.  As a result I'm considering my options. I have all the companies listed in the title available to me.  I went to Comcast and AT&T offices, and Comcast seems like the better deal, but I've heard and read a lot of bad about them.  Don't know that much about the satellite companies, though I've heard that weather affects their service.  I also assume that if I went with one of them I'd  have to still get internet from one of the cable companies.  Any recommendations? I'm in the Chicago burbs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:05:43 PM by mr.MUskie »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: Xfinity vs Uverse vs Dish vs DirecTV
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
I cut the cord last year because I think it's all overpriced. That being said, if you pick Uverse, expect terrible internet speed. Comcast has great internet speed, but is just AWFUL to deal with

Also, the weather affecting the dish only happens about 8 times a year for no more than 20min at a time
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:29:00 PM by MUsoxfan »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »
Your best deal is probably going to be a comcast or uverse tv/internet package.  I just signed up for a comcast tv/internet deal for $79/month for the first year, and $99/month for the second year.  That's 50mbps internet, and 140 channels (including espn1/2 and fs1).

I had already been paying about $70 for the internet alone.

Support isn't great, but nobody's is.  Just make sure everything is working before the installer leaves.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »
If your in the MU market then cable or an internet package will be your best option, but if your like me where channels like MASN, SNY, MSG etc. are out of market and not available in HD on many cable systems; which is why I like Direct TV. I can get all the games in HD.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
If you're still happy with WOW except about the price, find a competitive offer from Uverse and/or Comcast online and then call WOW up. Be specific about what you could get. (this combo, these speeds, this price, this length). WOW can see how long you've been a customer and will try to keep you.

I either threaten to leave or actually leave every 6-12 months. It sucks to have to play the game, but if you are going to switch, they will try some retention package anyway.

From an MU perspective, the FS1 / BE deal has been very helpful for coverage. You can get almost all of the games with the UVerse U200 package or a mid-tier Comcast package. The FS1 deal is why I finally dropped DTV.

Also in the Chicago burbs. Personally, I was very unhappy with Comcast. I currently use UVerse on a 12 month promo deal and really like it... I've had no internet speeds, I work out of the house, and we stream HD on our Roku regularly. If UVerse doesn't give me a good deal at the end of 12 months, I'll probably switch back to WOW.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
I just switched from RCN to Comcast (I'm in city of Chicago). I started paying about $80 a month with RCN (4 years ago) for HD cable, HBO and internet. It was up to almost $130, so I decided to switch.

I got a deal from Comcast for $95 a month for the first year. HD Cable, internet, and HBO. No idea what it will be after the first year, but that alone was enough for me to switch. Besides when they gave me the wrong box at installation (Was supposed to get the X1, I have it now and I love it. The interface is amazing and can record up to 5 shows at once), it has been pretty good. The internet speeds are awesome, twice as fast as I was getting with RCN. Overall, I am happy with what I am getting for the price.

When Comcast gets too expensive, I will probably switch back to RCN, and continue switching back and forth every few years forever. It is just the game you have to play.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:16:22 AM by Bleuteaux »

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »
If you're still happy with WOW except about the price, find a competitive offer from Uverse and/or Comcast online and then call WOW up. Be specific about what you could get. (this combo, these speeds, this price, this length). WOW can see how long you've been a customer and will try to keep you.

I either threaten to leave or actually leave every 6-12 months. It sucks to have to play the game, but if you are going to switch, they will try some retention package anyway.

From an MU perspective, the FS1 / BE deal has been very helpful for coverage. You can get almost all of the games with the UVerse U200 package or a mid-tier Comcast package. The FS1 deal is why I finally dropped DTV.

Also in the Chicago burbs. Personally, I was very unhappy with Comcast. I currently use UVerse on a 12 month promo deal and really like it... I've had no internet speeds, I work out of the house, and we stream HD on our Roku regularly. If UVerse doesn't give me a good deal at the end of 12 months, I'll probably switch back to WOW.

I've been happy with Uverse in the Chicago burbs as well. No issues with tv or internet. No issues keeping a rate close to the promo after the 12 months as well.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
Called WOW and told them my options and that I was seriously considering switching. After a bit of negotiation they reduced my bill by $18/mo. Still more than I've been paying but comparable to Xfinity and Uverse. Then she threw in a $15 one time discount for my inconvenience.  I'll keep checking the promotions I get in the mail all the time from the other companies, but for now I guess I'll stick with WOW. Thanks for all the advice!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »
Called WOW and told them my options and that I was seriously considering switching. After a bit of negotiation they reduced my bill by $18/mo. Still more than I've been paying but comparable to Xfinity and Uverse. Then she threw in a $15 one time discount for my inconvenience.  I'll keep checking the promotions I get in the mail all the time from the other companies, but for now I guess I'll stick with WOW. Thanks for all the advice!

Another thing they will do pretty easily for you is throw in 3 months of HBO or Starz for free. It seems like they have much more authority to throw in free stuff than give discounts. Its another thing you can try to do.