[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Grantland Article on James Harden and NBA Offenses  (Read 2044 times)

GGGG

• All American
Grantland Article on James Harden and NBA Offenses
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:18 PM »
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/future-of-basketball-james-harden-daryl-morey-houston-rockets/

Fascinating article on the Rockets completely ignoring the mid-range game.

"For Houston, even a below-average 3-pointer or paint shot is a better investment than a good shot in Kobe and Byron Scott’s hairy midrange neighborhood. As a result, the team scores a minuscule 6.2 percent of its points in the midrange, and is happy to sacrifice efficiency in its favorite spaces in favor of volume."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Grantland Article on James Harden and NBA Offenses
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »
For all the love that Daryl Morey gets, his teams have accomplished nothing. Houston has a winning percentage of around 59% (~48 wins/season), has made the playoffs just 4 times during his 7 years and have only made it out of the first round once. They've basically been in NBA purgatory yet Morey is a "visionary." I understand that he has a unique approach to building an NBA team but if it doesn't work, who cares?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
For all the love that Daryl Morey gets, his teams have accomplished nothing. Houston has a winning percentage of around 59% (~48 wins/season), has made the playoffs just 4 times during his 7 years and have only made it out of the first round once. They've basically been in NBA purgatory yet Morey is a "visionary." I understand that he has a unique approach to building an NBA team but if it doesn't work, who cares?

Simmons is friends with Morey, so he makes him out to be way more than he is

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
Simmons is friends with Morey, so he makes him out to be way more than he is

Simmons didn't write it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »

Yeah that makes sense.  I think it is interesting to see how people push the envelope as well, and the thought process behind it.  Sometimes the "visionary" isn't always the one that succeeds. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »

Was Morey around when HOU got screwed out of Pau Gasol in the Chris Paul trade?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »

Yeah that makes sense.  I think it is interesting to see how people push the envelope as well, and the thought process behind it.  Sometimes the "visionary" isn't always the one that succeeds. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a GM for a different team (who may not even be in place at this time) take Morey's ideas, tweak them slightly and have incredible success. One of the primary critiques of Morey's philosophy is that he largely ignores team chemistry and goes strictly by what the numbers say (hence, the Josh Smith signing).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
Was Morey around when HOU got screwed out of Pau Gasol in the Chris Paul trade?

Yes.