[Today at 11:57:24 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IU exceeding expectations  (Read 6593 times)

tower912

• All American
IU exceeding expectations
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/12/30/7465061/indiana-james-blackmon-yogi-ferrell-troy-williams-big-ten

A fair piece.   IU can score, but they struggle with defense and rebounding.   I have thought that Crean underachieved for years, but this year's team is moving the ball and shooting well.    The B1G is not as good as previous years, so there is every opportunity for them to have an upper level finish, assuming they continue to shoot well and the physicality of the conference doesn't overwhelm them. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: IU exceeding expectations
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »
They have the best backcourt in the Big Ten. They should stockpile wins in a mediocre conference.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
I guess it depends on what expectations were. They have multiple McDonald's all-Americans on the roster, one of which is an upperclassman PG, the most important position in college hoops. Statistically, KenPom had them #26 to start the season. Based on their play thus far, they have dropped to #45, including a home loss to Eastern Washington. Is that exceeding expectations?

Comparatively, Butler started the season projected at #70, and based on their play thus far now sit at #36 with a couple high quality neutral court wins and no bad home losses. Which team is exceeding expectations?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »
I guess it depends on what expectations were. They have multiple McDonald's all-Americans on the roster, one of which is an upperclassman PG, the most important position in college hoops. Statistically, KenPom had them #26 to start the season. Based on their play thus far, they have dropped to #45, including a home loss to Eastern Washington. Is that exceeding expectations?

Comparatively, Butler started the season projected at #70, and based on their play thus far now sit at #36 with a couple high quality neutral court wins and no bad home losses. Which team is exceeding expectations?

In the real world, both.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 04:33:18 PM »
So good at scoring the ball second place is a real possibility. Weak enough on defense that so is 10th. I'll guess 5th in a very weak BIG this year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 04:46:23 PM »
Indiana's performance thus far is right in line with expectations. Good opportunity to move up a few spots in Big Ten play.

Their season was saved when Blackmon came back to I4.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
I thought iu's expectation was to win a n.c. every year. Its Indiana! It Indiana!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »
Indiana's performance thus far is right in line with expectations. Good opportunity to move up a few spots in Big Ten play.

Their season was saved when Blackmon came back to I4.

Agree...I4 will live and die by the three, though. 50% of their shots versus Gtown were treys.  Tougher to hit those on the road. If they still had Luke, they may have done some damage. It looks like Bucky will have an easy run at it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »
I find it interesting that IU is getting votes in both polls, but Butler and Seton Hall are not.  They are very comparable (and really have better numbers). 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
I guess all of this depends upon what one considers reasonable expectations for a coach in his seventh season at an elite basketball school.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »
Are they Final Four/national championship contenders? If not, they are falling short of expectations.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »
Are they Final Four/national championship contenders? If not, they are falling short of expectations.

I assume you're taking the blue blood angle. If so, I'd also assume your black/white delineation only applies to the blue blood coached by Tom Crean.

Kansas, UNC, UCLA are hardly title contenders at this point in the season. Are they falling short of expectations? Should their coaches be on the lookout for a pink slip?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
I assume you're taking the blue blood angle. If so, I'd also assume your black/white delineation only applies to the blue blood coached by Tom Crean.

Kansas, UNC, UCLA are hardly title contenders at this point in the season. Are they falling short of expectations? Should their coaches be on the lookout for a pink slip?
The coaches at Kansas and UNC have won national championships. And the reviews on Alford are bad enough that if he continues to struggle, you can be the wont last 7 years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 10:16:16 AM »
The coaches at Kansas and UNC have won national championships. And the reviews on Alford are bad enough that if he continues to struggle, you can be the wont last 7 years.

Agreed. If Alford goes 17-15 in year 6 and misses the tournament after winning 4 NCAA tourney games in the previous 5 he won't be at UCLA in year 7.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »

That's a strong non sequitur.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
That's a strong non sequitur.

More like accurate context

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 03:30:17 PM »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
No.

Although those coaches are falling short of expectations this seasons, two of them have national championships on their resume (at those schools no less), ergo, they should not be on the lookout for a pink slip. The other (Alford), does not, ergo, he will be more likely to be looking for one if things do not turn around soon (not this season, obviously).

So yes, accurate context to the question you posed. Not even close to a non sequitur.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
Although those coaches are falling short of expectations this seasons, two of them have national championships on their resume (at those schools no less), ergo, they should not be on the lookout for a pink slip. The other (Alford), does not, ergo, he will be more likely to be looking for one if things do not turn around soon (not this season, obviously).

So yes, accurate context to the question you posed. Not even close to a non sequitur.

No. Dealing only with the '14-'15 campaign here.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 06:28:24 PM »
Actually, the thread is "dealing" with Indiana. You brought North Carolina, UCLA and Kansas into the discussion. Was that a non sequitur?

feedback