[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino 3-14  (Read 10852 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Carlino 3-14
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
The two fast breaks killed us. DuWil going in 1=-on-2 and losing the ball and Derrick making the incredibly boneheaded decision to give the ball to Luke.

Yeah why would you ever pass the ball to your 6'11" big man running the floor in transition?  What an incredibly bonehead decision by Derrick, he's the one at fault there  ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »
Yeah why would you ever pass the ball to your 6'11" big man running the floor in transition?  What an incredibly bonehead decision by Derrick, he's the one at fault there  ::)
No you re wrong here. He had duwil ahead on the break for an easy basket he didn't pass it instead held the ball too longb

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 07:50:34 AM »
No you re wrong here. He had duwil ahead on the break for an easy basket he didn't pass it instead held the ball too longb

OK in this same thread, we have read that Derrick held the ball too long, or he didn't hold it long enough.

I thought getting the ball to the middle was what the right play.  Luke isn't like Otule out there.  He is agile and good enough with the ball to make the right decision.  And he didn't.

At least that is what I remember.  At this point I probably need to see it again.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »

OK in this same thread, we have read that Derrick held the ball too long, or he didn't hold it long enough.

I thought getting the ball to the middle was what the right play.  Luke isn't like Otule out there.  He is agile and good enough with the ball to make the right decision.  And he didn't.

At least that is what I remember.  At this point I probably need to see it again.
You are correct on that Sultan. Why wouldn't any guy pass it to a 6' 11" guy who was running the floor for the jam? It was the right play. It is unfortunate that the defender got there in time to win an academy award from the ref for his great acting flop. That should have been a no call. Home town referee cooking, there.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »
willie that was about as easy a charging call as you can make.  Garrett was standing outside the circle, perfectly still, with plenty of time.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »

If you have a 3 on 1 and the 1 is in the middle, who do you pass the ball into the middle? Derrick was nowhere near to fault for the loss (he played a very good first half and rebounded well) but if he keeps that ball we get a layup.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »
I can live with missed shots.  What disappointed me about Carlino was how careless he was with the ball.  How he'd hold it for 3/4 of the possesion and then go into panic mode.  Didn't see a lot of Senior leadership from him yesterday.  Was hoping he'd get the hook and Wojo would try Duane.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
I can live with missed shots.  What disappointed me about Carlino was how careless he was with the ball.  How he'd hold it for 3/4 of the possesion and then go into panic mode.  Didn't see a lot of Senior leadership from him yesterday.  Was hoping he'd get the hook and Wojo would try Duane.

Agree on both counts:

Carlino had many open looks in the first half, like the majority of Marquette against the worst defense played by a DI team arguably in history. He simply missed them. That's fine. Another night, he'll take the same open shots and finish 10 of 14.

What killed MU was suddenly around the 11 minute mark left in game they decided to faux stall offense which mostly relied upon Carlino dribbling in no man's land 35 feet from the hoop. This left it too easy for the Demons to collapse in and out of their double on Luke thus limiting Carlino's outlet to wings who couldn't shake a bowl of jello last night.

P.S. On the 3-on-1 break that turned into a terrible foul, I thought Derrick made a mistake not throwing an immediate outlet to Duane, however, once the mistake was made he chose the right option in dumping to Luke in middle. Problem became they were too deep into the lane and didn't allow Luke any room other than to barrel over the assistant coach's son.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
willie that was about as easy a charging call as you can make.  Garrett was standing outside the circle, perfectly still, with plenty of time.
Wasn't that easy a call. The contact was a brush--it was a major flop. Easy to make a no call.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
Wasn't that easy a call. The contact was a brush--it was a major flop. Easy to make a no call.

The board largely disagrees with you...per usual.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »

It was the single most obvious charge I have seen this season as both a fan and a youth basketball ref. Garrett was standing there waiting for him and didn't even move a hair. Every ref at every level would have made the call.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »

Only in your mind Sultan do you think that everybody agrees with your intelligent insights, such as Otule was better than Gardner. We know that you are a legend in your mind. And of course, your analysis of the gamechanger. Everybody agrees with you on that too. And of course that Buzz was the greatest coach in MU history-of course everybody on this board agrees with you on that also.
Because your analysis is all that matters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »
Willie, Otule was better than Gardner on the defensive end.   Buzz was the best coach at MU since Al.   Sultan has never said that Derrick is a gamechanger, he has said that he is the best option available.    Why the hate?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
Willie, Otule was better than Gardner on the defensive end.   Buzz was the best coach at MU since Al.   Sultan has never said that Derrick is a gamechanger, he has said that he is the best option available.    Why the hate?

I'd argue that making a final four, seeing Marquette from CUSA to the Big East, and leaving for one of the historical blue bloods rather than a basketball nobody gives the nod to Crean even though personally I liked Buzz way better.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2015, 05:50:08 PM »
I have nothing but appreciation for what Coach Crean did at MU.   The Final 4 was amazing.  Shepherding the team into the Big East was huge.   Props.    Buzz had 5 tourney appearances, 8 tourney wins, a Big East Championship, in 6 years.   Crean had 5 tourney appearances, 5 tourney wins, and a CUSA championship in 9 years.   I am not going to get into a big fight over this, but IMO the numbers favor Buzz. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
I'd argue that making a final four, seeing Marquette from CUSA to the Big East, and leaving for one of the historical blue bloods rather than a basketball nobody gives the nod to Crean even though personally I liked Buzz way better.

I couldn't care less where a coach goes after he leaves. It has zero to do with what he did for Marquette. Zero. Al McGuire never won another game after he left MU and I don't care about that either. When he was here, Buzz won a Big East title and finished 2nd once. Crean's best Big East season was a 4th place. Buzz made it past the first weekend in the NCAA 3 times in 6 years, Crean once in 9. Buzz won 8 NCAA tournament games in 6 seasons, Crean won 5 in 9 (4 of them in one year). I give Crean extra credit for the Final Four, but the program had much more sustained success under Buzz.