Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Monday Night Upsets Night In College Bball  (Read 6122 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Monday Night Upsets Night In College Bball
« on: December 22, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
#10 Kansas 52
Temple 77
Kansas losing by 25!  (This poor performance is 11 years too late, but I digress)

Gardner Webb 98
Purdue           84
I know it has been said in other threads, but after the top 3 or 4 teams, the rest of the B1G is just plain bad.

Loyola IL  62
Texas Tech 44
Great road win for the Ramblers!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:10:11 AM by Heisenberg »

murara1994

• Starter
Re: Tuesday Night Upsets Night In College Bball
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »
It's Monday

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:58:28 PM »
Big ten is a sh it show right now.

As someone who also watches and supports gopher bball this is the perfect year for them to finish high in that league.

They almost had their own debacle tonight but just kept getting buckets.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:07 AM »
Yea. After OSU, Wisconsin and Michigan St nobody stands out. Illinois can be good pending on how Rice is shooting.

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:13:45 AM »
Yea. After OSU, Wisconsin and Michigan St nobody stands out. Illinois can be good pending on how Rice is shooting.

That's a very convenient response.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:15:31 AM »

Maryland, Minny, Illinois and Indiana are all better teams than MSU at this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Monday Night Upsets Night In College Bball
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »
Maryland is legit. 2nd best team in B1G behind Bucky IMHO
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
Maryland is legit. 2nd best team in B1G behind Bucky IMHO

DEVO!!! (Are we not men?)

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:31 AM »
The B1G is not impressive.   This year, it is Kentucky, Duke, possibly Wiscy, and then 340+ teams that can win or lose on any given night.    Right, Omaha, NJIT, Texas Southern............?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
The B1G is not impressive.   This year, it is Kentucky, Duke, possibly Wiscy, and then 340+ teams that can win or lose on any given night.    Right, Omaha, NJIT, Texas Southern............?

I don't even think Wiscy is that good. They struggle against a zone. Theyre good but not on the same level as Kentucky or Duke.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
Big ten is a sh it show right now.

As someone who also watches and supports gopher bball this is the perfect year for them to finish high in that league.

They almost had their own debacle tonight but just kept getting buckets.

How do u watch the gopher games? Not a huge Gopher fan for basketball, but I grew up in Minneapolis and moved back after college. Big U hockey fan but not so much on the hoops, but I do follow their box scores and watch them when on TV. That said, I live like 300 yards from their arena and none of their games are ever televised unless the game is picked up by ESPN or BTN (rare in the non con).

When people complain about about MU hoops tv, it always makes me chuckle as it could be soooo much worse. Sure, you gotta pay a bit, but at least you can get most every game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »

For me, Kentucky or Duke will cut down the nets. Kentucky is truly amazing. I know they have had some first half struggles with cupcakes, but in every case came out strong in the second half and won by double digits.

Against high-major opposition they have won by an average of 23.4 points, with the closest margin being 12 over Texas. All 5 of their high-major opponents have also been ranked at some point this year, with three being top-10 teams at some point.

Kentucky is at Louisville on Saturday. If they win that, they have a very realistic chance at an undefeated regular season and possibly an undefeated season all together. The only team in the SEC that looks like it might give them a challenge is Florida, but they've had their struggles.

Duke is also very good, probably better in terms of their starting lineup, but I'm just not sure they can go for 40 minutes with Kentucky. But if you told me to either take Duke and UK or the field at this point of the season, I wouldn't think twice about taking Duke and UK.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »

Arizona>>>>>>Wisconsin
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
How do u watch the gopher games? Not a huge Gopher fan for basketball, but I grew up in Minneapolis and moved back after college. Big U hockey fan but not so much on the hoops, but I do follow their box scores and watch them when on TV. That said, I live like 300 yards from their arena and none of their games are ever televised unless the game is picked up by ESPN or BTN (rare in the non con).

When people complain about about MU hoops tv, it always makes me chuckle as it could be soooo much worse. Sure, you gotta pay a bit, but at least you can get most every game.

Yeah I am far more of a gopher hockey fan as well. And you are right they are rarely on tv in the non con unless it is a good game that wants to be televised.

I had last nights game up on Espn3 while I had the MU game on the TV(since we actually get tv coverage lol). I mean FSN north plays MU and not the gophers in their own state?? So funny.

Conference games will always be on but so far I have only seen UL, SJU, Georgia, Wake, Seattle, Furman, North Dakota(gophs killed these guys).

And I only risk computer viruses for MU games lol

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
I didn't see WI last night cuz we were at the BC but the Vadger fans at work this morning had a lot of comments on Bill Walton's announcing during the WI game, of course none of them had ever really heard him doing a game before

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »

Loyola IL  62
Texas Tech 44
Great road win for the Ramblers!

That game was in Las Vegas. Loyola-Boise State and Texas Tech-Houston will both be on FS1 tonight in the Las Vegas Classic.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »
For me, Kentucky or Duke will cut down the nets. Kentucky is truly amazing. I know they have had some first half struggles with cupcakes, but in every case came out strong in the second half and won by double digits.

Against high-major opposition they have won by an average of 23.4 points, with the closest margin being 12 over Texas. All 5 of their high-major opponents have also been ranked at some point this year, with three being top-10 teams at some point.

Kentucky is at Louisville on Saturday. If they win that, they have a very realistic chance at an undefeated regular season and possibly an undefeated season all together. The only team in the SEC that looks like it might give them a challenge is Florida, but they've had their struggles.

Only a combination of factors is going to stop Kentucky from winning it all this year.  Since you have to win six straight but it is possible.

They are the best defensive team in the country.  Period.  However, their offense is heavily triggered by their defense.  Their half-court offense is solid but not great.  A team would need to hit from three consistently to keep them honest and open things up a little from two (I mean a little because if you go into the paint a lot you are going to eat the ball).  So a lot of threes and some mid-range twos and close to the basket when it warrants.

Then stop the transition baskets forcing them to play half-court offense.  Even then, no matter who it is it will probably come down to the last possession or two.  Then the key in my mind... choking.  If Kentucky goes the regular season undefeated and they get in a last possession game in the tourney, I could see a choke.  It happened against UNLV versus Duke in the early nineties.  UNLV did not play close games all year then had one and choked free throws and some layups.

Bottom line: everything has to go right to beat Kentucky this year.  It is their title to lose.