Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND thoughts  (Read 12241 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: ND thoughts
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »
Given he topic heading, I am a little disappointed in Chili, so I'll do it for him:

ND still sucks!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
Nothing will ever surpass futility of Notre Dame at Marquette in the 1988 season.  

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-01-11/sports/8803210606_1_bob-dukiet-notre-dame-irish

I was there.  Would have to agree.  Brutal.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »
Nothing will ever surpass futility of Notre Dame at Marquette in the 1988 season.  

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-01-11/sports/8803210606_1_bob-dukiet-notre-dame-irish

"The beating was the fourth straight for Marquette, which is 5-7 and has fallen under .500 for the first time in 22 years."

#perspective

Those were lowly days. I've always liked Digger actually, and do more after hearing him stick up for the MU players. People who boo college kids are classless. Marquette is, and was, better than that.

We Are Marquette

mug644

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
I was there.  Would have to agree.  Brutal.

Ditto. I had forgotten that Sims and Rivers were in the same class. That is, that for the many years that David Rivers led ND to a string of victories over MU, it was Pop Sims who couldn't keep him at bay. Ugh.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
Really appreciated both the defensive and offensive adjustments in the second half.  With Derrick assuming primary defensive responsibility for Tyler and Luke going to the high post performance on both ends improved.  I'm confident that Wojo will be working on ball movement drills out of the low post double down in the next week.  Even though our outside shots weren't falling, I don't even recall very many examples of quality passes from the double team leading to those shots.

The boys will be fine.  We've played good basketball of late and I think we're a mature enough team to recognize that last night's effort/production for the first 30 minutes won't cut it.  Enjoy Christmas with your family guys.  We'll see you refreshed this weekend.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
I thought defensive intensity/hustle was fine throughout.  Problem was on offense.

Too many penetrators careening to the basket willy-nilly without other players positioning themselves for the dish and with the penetrator only looking at the basket.  Sometimes the team's bodies are quicker than their brain, if you know what I mean.  Whenever the pace gets hectic, we get sloppier and sloppier. 

I am not a fan of Derrick Wilson's constant slowing down and dribbling around pointlessly, but tonight he was the cure to what ailed us.  Slowed us down, but more importantly calmed us down on offense, got us to actually run some offense and penetrated with a purpose.  Great game for him, not to mention his usual outstanding work on defense and even more impressive on the boards.
  Disagree on defense.  At the BC last night, I could see that the defense was rather flat compared to the previous 6 games when the defense was very active.  this remained so until later in the 2nd half.  Big thing for Derrick and JJ was having Luke out high and passing to them for easier sojourns to the hoop. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
We also struggled from the foul line.  I'm sure Steve is upset with himself about that particularly but I thought it was good that he didn't let it affect the rest of his game.  Some nice rebounding in 18 minutes and some nice power around the rim.  Also, he's now hit a Lazar 3 point shot in two consecutive games.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:41:29 AM by jsglow »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
In one play it looked like Luke grabbed his shoulder and came out. Hope he didn't aggravate his shoulder injury. He came back in and still played pretty well. Just a little concerned.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
We also struggled from the foul line.  I'm sure Steve is upset with himself about that particularly but I thought it was good that he didn't let him affect the rest of his game.  Some nice rebounding in 18 minutes and some nice power around the rim.  Also, he's now hit a Lazar 3 point shot in two consecutive games.

I didn't see the game, but I think I know what you must be talking about...Lazar trailing the ball as it is brought up court, then receiving a pass at the top of the key and hitting a three-pointer before his defender has stepped up to cover him. Is that what Steve did? Twice?!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
We also struggled from the foul line.  I'm sure Steve is upset with himself about that particularly but I thought it was good that he didn't let him affect the rest of his game.  Some nice rebounding in 18 minutes and some nice power around the rim.  Also, he's now hit a Lazar 3 point shot in two consecutive games.
Obviously, practicing free throws is a waste of practice time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
I didn't see the game, but I think I know what you must be talking about...Lazar trailing the ball as it is brought up court, then receiving a pass at the top of the key and hitting a three-pointer before his defender has stepped up to cover him. Is that what Steve did? Twice?!

Well, it wasn't on the fast break trail either Friday or last night.  It was simply an open look top of the key 3 (Lazar's spot) taken confidently in the rhythm of the offense.  He's hit one each the last two games.  Nice to see.  He took another left wing that was decent but didn't go in.

If Steve, Juan and Derrick can all get one a game.....

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »
  Disagree on defense.  At the BC last night, I could see that the defense was rather flat compared to the previous 6 games when the defense was very active.   
We didn't turn them over, but I thought the effort was there, if not always effective, and they only scored 29 in the first half.  You were there and could probably tell better.  We only go 7 1/2 deep, and max effort for 40 minutes may be difficult for this bunch.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
We didn't turn them over, but I thought the effort was there, if not always effective, and they only scored 29 in the first half.  You were there and could probably tell better.  We only go 7 1/2 deep, and max effort for 40 minutes may be difficult for this bunch.

We were flat CT.  The effort was there but nothing was working and guys were getting open on their end with pretty good ball movement and sluggish rotation on our part.  Rebounding effort was strong throughout, especially Juan, Steve and Derrick.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
Well, it wasn't on the fast break trail either Friday or last night.  It was simply an open look top of the key 3 (Lazar's spot) taken confidently in the rhythm of the offense.  He's hit one each the last two games.  Nice to see.  He took another left wing that was decent but didn't go in.

Hard to mention that 3 spot at the top of the key in the rhythm of the offense without also mentioning Crowder.  Both Crowder and Lazar made a killing there.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »
Hard to mention that 3 spot at the top of the key in the rhythm of the offense without also mentioning Crowder.  Both Crowder and Lazar made a killing there.

+1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »

I'd settle for the three of them combining to shoot 60% from the line!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback