collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 08:04:21 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pacific Northwest Trip  (Read 16831 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Pacific Northwest Trip
« on: December 11, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Hey all.  Wondering if anyone (paging Keefe) has any suggestions for a Pacific Northwest(ish) trip.  Myself and 3 friends are heading out to the NCAA Men's Volleyball Final Four at Stanford on Thursday, May 7 and Saturday, May 9.  We're going to fly into Seattle the Saturday before that (May 2) and fly back to Milwaukee from San Francisco on May 10.  The plan is to spend a couple days in Seattle and then stop in Eugene, Portland, and maybe Lake Tahoe on the way to SF.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to put on the itinerary?  Can't miss cities?  Where to spend more or less time at?  And how to keep the trip cheaper?

Thanks much!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
Re: Pacific Northwest Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »
Anything keefe tells you to do will be way out of your league.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
Couple thoughts.

Eugene is just a little college town.  Not much really there outside of the University.

If you have time and you are into that sort of stuff, Mount St. Helens National Monument is pretty cool.

Lake Tahoe is a little out of the way.  I mean, that is a lot of driving.  I would try to get down to San Francisco and spend as much of your time there as possible.  Cool city with a lot to do.

I-5 is the fastest way to get south, but you don't see much.  Spend at least some time down down the coast on either US-101 or CA-1.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »
Couple thoughts.

Eugene is just a little college town.  Not much really there outside of the University.

If you have time and you are into that sort of stuff, Mount St. Helens National Monument is pretty cool.

Lake Tahoe is a little out of the way.  I mean, that is a lot of driving.  I would try to get down to San Francisco and spend as much of your time there as possible.  Cool city with a lot to do.

I-5 is the fastest way to get south, but you don't see much.  Spend at least some time down down the coast on either US-101 or CA-1.

Great, sounds good, thank you.  I definitely would like to get some of the hiking scene in.  I have heard the Red Wood Forest is somewhere worth visiting as well.  Is that close enough to SF that it's something we could do on the day between matches (Friday)?

Thanks again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
Great, sounds good, thank you.  I definitely would like to get some of the hiking scene in.  I have heard the Red Wood Forest is somewhere worth visiting as well.  Is that close enough to SF that it's something we could do on the day between matches (Friday)?

Thanks again.

The National Park?  No that is a haul.  Unless you are going to drive 600 miles just to walk around for an hour or two.  There is plenty to do in town.  Alcatraz, Golden Gate Recreation Area, etc.  Remember if you are staying in the Stanford area, you are still a ways from San Francisco and the traffic isn't great.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
You can see some redwoods at Muir Woods -- not as impressive as heading way up north, but close to SF.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
I finally get to make a substantive post on this board!  Some suggestions for your Oregon portion.

I agree w/ Sultan.  Eugene itself isn't that interesting.  If there were a track meet at Hayward that week, I would say go, but the Twilight meet is during your SF time frame.

If you're not headed for Corvallis or Eugene, I-5 through the valley is kind of boring. There are two alternatives:

1.  Take the coastal route.  If you backtrack a little bit up US 30 from Portland to Astoria, you'll get the whole thing.  It's a rugged but very pretty path down 101.  If you and your buddies bring/rent clubs, you can play Bandon Dunes, which is frequently listed as a top 5 course in the country.  There are a lot of cool little beach towns and landmarks (lighthouses, sea lion caves, the aquarium in Newport), but not necessarily any "destinations."  Be prepared for crappy weather -- drizzle/fog in the mid 50s.

2.  Take the Central route.  If you take US 26 east out of Portland, you'll hit Mt. Hood in about 45 min. If you're one for cool views, head up to Timberline and take in the scenery (especially if it's clear.). Keep heading south and you'll hit US 97, at which point you'll be in Central Oregon.  There's a number of cool geological formations to hike (Smith Rock, Newberry Crater), golf courses to hit up (Crooked River Ranch, Eagle Crest, Sunriver), and the country's craft brewing capital (Bend OR: 80k residents, 20 breweries).  Plus, this is probably the most accessible path to Crater Lake.  The weather should be more cooperative than the coast or valley: 325 days of sun annually with a May average in the mid 60s.  Not to mention it's probably the most diverse scenery you'll get between the forests and the desert.

Hope this is helpful.

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »
I live in Portland area.  (MU 1968, Law 1971)  Would be glad to give you some insights and show you around a bit.  Best restaurant in town which is full of a lot of very good ones is Ava Gene's.  But make reservations a month in advance.  Columbia Gorge - Mt Hood loop is a good way to see the Cascades and is a pleasant day's drive.  Other central Oregon spots are Black Butte ranch, and the town of Sisters Oregon near Bend.  Crater Lake, Oregon's only National Park - in a state that should have a lot more of them - is a must see.  Eugene is a small town, but the trophy room and football operations center are something to see and are just off I 5.  Coast is great as well.  Not sure if the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland will have started yet, but if so that is really worth it.   

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »
Apparently Corvallis is very appealing these days

brandx

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
I finally get to make a substantive post on this board!  Some suggestions for your Oregon portion.

I agree w/ Sultan.  Eugene itself isn't that interesting.  If there were a track meet at Hayward that week, I would say go, but the Twilight meet is during your SF time frame.

If you're not headed for Corvallis or Eugene, I-5 through the valley is kind of boring. There are two alternatives:

1.  Take the coastal route.  If you backtrack a little bit up US 30 from Portland to Astoria, you'll get the whole thing.  It's a rugged but very pretty path down 101.  If you and your buddies bring/rent clubs, you can play Bandon Dunes, which is frequently listed as a top 5 course in the country.  There are a lot of cool little beach towns and landmarks (lighthouses, sea lion caves, the aquarium in Newport), but not necessarily any "destinations."  Be prepared for crappy weather -- drizzle/fog in the mid 50s.

2.  Take the Central route.  If you take US 26 east out of Portland, you'll hit Mt. Hood in about 45 min. If you're one for cool views, head up to Timberline and take in the scenery (especially if it's clear.). Keep heading south and you'll hit US 97, at which point you'll be in Central Oregon.  There's a number of cool geological formations to hike (Smith Rock, Newberry Crater), golf courses to hit up (Crooked River Ranch, Eagle Crest, Sunriver), and the country's craft brewing capital (Bend OR: 80k residents, 20 breweries).  Plus, this is probably the most accessible path to Crater Lake.  The weather should be more cooperative than the coast or valley: 325 days of sun annually with a May average in the mid 60s.  Not to mention it's probably the most diverse scenery you'll get between the forests and the desert.

Hope this is helpful.

I'm heading out there next summer and love the desert. Any info on Eastern Oregon or suggestions?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
Thanks for all the information everyone.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »
Lake Crescent Lodge in Olympic National Park.  Beautiful place, great hiking all around.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
If you're into massive construction projects, go check out Tesla's gigafactory site on the east side of Reno.  They're only scraping the land right now, but if you go up on the hill near the Wal-Mart distribution center and look down at it, it only takes a little imagination to see just how gargantuan this thing is going to be.

10 million square feet of factory space in the middle of nowhere... just a few other industrial buildings, a gas station, a Subway (sandwich shop) and a brothel.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 07:55:24 PM »
That's the second biggest hole I've ever seen.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
I'm heading out there next summer and love the desert. Any info on Eastern Oregon or suggestions?

Well brand, it depends on what kind of time you have.

If the most you can manage is a day trip from Portland, check out the Crooked River National Grasslands around Madras.  It's fairly typical of the High Desert, with the sage, bitterbrush, and juniper dominating the landscape.  Good places to stop include Lake Billy Chinook, Smith Rock, and Grey Butte/Skull Hollow, all of which are within about 25 miles of each other.

If you've got the time to do a few days on the east side and are looking for the more traditional salt flats, head to the Alvord Desert southeast of Burns.  (It's a haul - 7+ hours from Portland.)  You can drive right out on the playa and set up camp wherever you feel inclined.  If you need a change of scenery, the Steens Mountains are 5 miles to the northwest.

If you're looking for something of a compromise, try Fort Rock 70 miles southeast of Bend (about 4.5 hours from Portland).  It’s a cool rock formation and archaeological site out in the scrub.

Some images to help you out:

Lake Billy Chinook

Smith Rock

Alvord w/ Steens in background

Alvord night sky (it's probably one of the best places in the Lower 48 for stargazing)

Fort Rock

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
Hey all.  Wondering if anyone (paging Keefe) has any suggestions for a Pacific Northwest(ish) trip.  Myself and 3 friends are heading out to the NCAA Men's Volleyball Final Four at Stanford on Thursday, May 7 and Saturday, May 9.  We're going to fly into Seattle the Saturday before that (May 2) and fly back to Milwaukee from San Francisco on May 10.  The plan is to spend a couple days in Seattle and then stop in Eugene, Portland, and maybe Lake Tahoe on the way to SF.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to put on the itinerary?  Can't miss cities?  Where to spend more or less time at?  And how to keep the trip cheaper?

Thanks much!

Don't forget Animal House was filmed in Eugene.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

brandx

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »

If the most you can manage is a day trip from Portland, check out the Crooked River National Grasslands around Madras.  It's fairly typical of the High Desert, with the sage, bitterbrush, and juniper dominating the landscape.  Good places to stop include Lake Billy Chinook, Smith Rock, and Grey Butte/Skull Hollow, all of which are within about 25 miles of each other.

If you've got the time to do a few days on the east side and are looking for the more traditional salt flats, head to the Alvord Desert southeast of Burns.  (It's a haul - 7+ hours from Portland.)  You can drive right out on the playa and set up camp wherever you feel inclined.  If you need a change of scenery, the Steens Mountains are 5 miles to the northwest.

If you're looking for something of a compromise, try Fort Rock 70 miles southeast of Bend (about 4.5 hours from Portland).  It’s a cool rock formation and archaeological site out in the scrub.

Lake Billy Chinook

Smith Rock

Alvord night sky (it's probably one of the best places in the Lower 48 for stargazing)

Fort Rock

Thanks, Mike. Hope to spend at least a week there.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 01:28:02 AM »

Thanks much!

You guys bring some golf clubs and I'll oblige with complimentary rounds at Sahalee CC (1999 PGA championship) and Chambers Bay (2015 US open).  PM me if you're interested.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »

Lake Billy Chinook

Smith Rock

Fort Rock

Brand

Eastern Oregon is a neat place and offers some of the best high desert environments. I would definitely include Bend in your itinerary - spend at least two nights. The hiking along the Deschutes is spectacular and Bend is a great town with an even better brewery. If you are fly fisher the Deschutes in May is remarkable and stands as one of the best trout rivers anywhere.

Kinsella posted a pic of Smith Rock which is near Bend. If you are a climber then it is a must stop. If you are a hiker bring lunch and you will enjoy scenery better than any John Ford western.

Depending on how far north you get, the Columbia Basin is fabulous and you can do world class wine tasting from Walla Walla all the way to the Willamette. Another neat town along that trail is Hood River which was our base camp for skiing Mt Hood.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 02:35:11 PM »
Anything keefe tells you to do will be way out of your league.

Maybe just yours??

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »

Hope this is helpful.

I will second the suggestion to take Route 101 rather than I 5. The Oregon coast is spectacular and offers stunning scenery and lots to do outdoors. If you go the central route make sure you hit Crater Lake. It is magnificent.

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »
I second Smith Rock State Park.  I've hiked it twice.  If you like rock climbing, it's spectacular.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=36

But, if you only have limited time, hit the coast.  Cannon Beach will blow you away. 
Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
That's the second biggest hole I've ever seen.

You dated her too?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
You guys bring some golf clubs and I'll oblige with complimentary rounds at Sahalee CC (1999 PGA championship) and Chambers Bay (2015 US open).  PM me if you're interested.

I never played Sahalee by Chambers is a lot of fun. Two days each month they let military play for ~$20 (it is normally north of $100.) Certainly one of the most entertaining links courses around. My recommendation is that you hire a caddy first time out because it is a tricky course.

Bandon Dunes in Oregon is also stellar. I would play at least two rounds to get the full impact.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
whaddabout the titty bars?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »
The four of you cats gonna hook-up with melissasmooth too?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »

She's out there now hey?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »

Where is melissasmooth? Does she still post on here?

brandx

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Brand

Eastern Oregon is a neat place and offers some of the best high desert environments. I would definitely include Bend in your itinerary - spend at least two nights. The hiking along the Deschutes is spectacular and Bend is a great town with an even better brewery. If you are fly fisher the Deschutes in May is remarkable and stands as one of the best trout rivers anywhere.

Kinsella posted a pic of Smith Rock which is near Bend. If you are a climber then it is a must stop. If you are a hiker bring lunch and you will enjoy scenery better than any John Ford western.

Depending on how far north you get, the Columbia Basin is fabulous and you can do world class wine tasting from Walla Walla all the way to the Willamette. Another neat town along that trail is Hood River which was our base camp for skiing Mt Hood.

Thanks much, buddy.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 10:45:08 PM »
Thanks much, buddy.

PM me and we can synch up as you get closer. Eastern OR is a great place.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
PM me and we can synch up as you get closer. Eastern OR is a great place.

OK. Probably looking at late June.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 12:16:14 AM »
OK. Probably looking at late June.

It gets out down there that time of year. If you go through Bend you should try rafting the Deschutes

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 07:02:59 AM »
Thanks everybody. This is great information I will save.

My daughter lives in Seattle and we are talking about spending a couple weeks in that part of the country the next time we make the trip to visit her. These are some wonderful options.

keefe and I couldn't quite get together when we were in Seattle in August. Next time we will!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 10:33:39 AM »
Forget about you. Just give keefe your daughter's cell number and I'm certain he'll take good care of her.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
Thanks everybody. This is great information I will save.

My daughter lives in Seattle and we are talking about spending a couple weeks in that part of the country the next time we make the trip to visit her. These are some wonderful options.

keefe and I couldn't quite get together when we were in Seattle in August. Next time we will!

Mike

MS is kicking us out of the nest so we are opening our design/dev office in one of the lofts in Pioneer Square. Lots of ways to get in trouble there and close to where your daughter works. It'll be much easier to synch this time. Looking forward to it.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:29 PM »
Rereading this thread as I'm trying to plan out my trip and there are a lot of good options out there with some good advice from you all.  We get into Seattle on Saturday afternoon and fly out of San Francisco the following Sunday.  Right now the plan is to spend through dinner on Monday in Seattle and then hit the road, making a few stops and ultimately arriving in SF on Thursday afternoon.  It sounds like Cannon Beach is one place we should stop, and I have been told to stay in Portland as well.  I personally would love to stop at Crater Lake.  The problem I see is that Seattle, Portland, and Cannon Beach are all somewhat close in distance rather than kind of evenly spacing the trip out.

I guess my questions for those who may know are should we plan to stay one night at/near Cannon Beach and another in Portland?  If so, is it worth to head inland to Crater Lake before the (what Mapquest shows) 7 hour drive from there to SF?  Or are there better stops to more evenly split the trip up in terms of driving time?

Thanks again!  Sorry if this is redundant.