[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UW Stepping Stone Job  (Read 15376 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: UW Stepping Stone Job
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »
Congrats to UW on hiring their Brian Wardle.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
at least Barry found a YES man who'll sit down and shut up

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
That article kind of sums up this casual observers sense of the thing. Barry Alvarez seems to think its still 1920 where football is concerned. Dictating that style of play, will obviously make it difficult to attract and retain coaches if their ability to recruit top talent aside from RBs and OLinemen is hampered as Wisconsin's recent QBs and WRs would seem to indicate it is.

But I would argue this.  Playing football the way Wisconsin has, with a strong running game and a serviceable passing game, is how Wisconsin has to play it.

Importing a spread option type system here isn't going to work because you would have to import almost every player.  I mean, no one runs this stuff in the high schools in the midwest.  It's mostly all traditional, pro set type offenses.

It has served Wisconsin well.  Under the "old system" it wasn't going to win a national championship, but under the four team playoff, or if they expand it to eight teams, Wisconsin can get in the door with a good season - and then who knows.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »

That's a good way of looking at it.  Not sure how successful he will be...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »

They wanted him 2 years ago but he was 1 year into his Pitt contract.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
Waiting for the UW backlash in the Chryst hire since he is a "liar" like Gary Anderson for leaving mid-contract.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
Anyone who believes all this chit,with Anderson takin' the OSU gig and old Paul prematurely gettin' off On Wisconsin, just randomly happened also believes in the Easter bunny.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
Anyone who believes all this chit,with Anderson takin' the OSU gig and old Paul prematurely gettin' off On Wisconsin, just randomly happened also believes in the Easter bunny.

It has been reported by some reputable people that they think Anderson was forced out.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »

It has been reported by some reputable people that they think Anderson was forced out.

Based on the OSU game or what?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
Of course Anderson "was encouraged" to seek other employment. He was a bad fit for UW just as Bumstead was a bad fit for MU. Only difference here was Alvarez had his new hire already back in the bullpen. Marquette, on the other hand, was left holdin' it's Johnson.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
Of course Anderson "was encouraged" to seek other employment. He was a bad fit for UW just as Bumstead was a bad fit for MU. Only difference here was Alvarez had his new hire already back in the bullpen. Marquette, on the other hand, was left holdin' it's Johnson.
did you follow any of the news in this? Alvarez had no idea.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
did you follow any of the news in this? Alvarez had no idea.

Because an Athletic Director would never lie?  I am not saying he was pushed out.  I have no idea.  But it has been reported by some in Madison and by people like Pete Fiutak that he "was hearing" that may have been the case.

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »
You had me at
I am not saying he was pushed out.  I have no idea.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
You had me at

OK well, not sure what you mean.  All I am saying is that I haven't heard anything...but that it has been reported as a possibility elsewhere.  I mean, you can choose to ignore those reports if you want.  No biggie to me.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »

Because an Athletic Director would never lie?  I am not saying he was pushed out.  I have no idea.  But it has been reported by some in Madison and by people like Pete Fiutak that he "was hearing" that may have been the case.

Right, because whenever there's a coaching change in Madison it's always on UW's terms. The always call the shots. Got it. ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
Right, because whenever there's a coaching change in Madison it's always on UW's terms. The always call the shots. Got it. ::)

Can people not read today or something?

*I* am not saying he was pushed out!  *Others* have reported it!  Pete Fiutak for example said that it he heard rumblings and he isn't a Madison guy.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/video-campus-insiders-pete-fiutak-thinks-barry-alvarez-probably-forced/html_ec3dc40a-54b9-53fd-a46a-574eac430877.html

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »

Can people not read today or something?

*I* am not saying he was pushed out!  *Others* have reported it!  Pete Fiutak for example said that it he heard rumblings and he isn't a Madison guy.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/video-campus-insiders-pete-fiutak-thinks-barry-alvarez-probably-forced/html_ec3dc40a-54b9-53fd-a46a-574eac430877.html

Interesting angle for the boosters/media to take. Course, doesn't that now mean the guy (Alvarez) who pushed his guy (Andersen) out the door for his new guy (Chryst) is the same guy (Alvarez) who failed his vetting process for the first guy (Andersen)?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
Interesting angle for the boosters/media to take. Course, doesn't that now mean the guy (Alvarez) who pushed his guy (Andersen) out the door for his new guy (Chryst) is the same guy (Alvarez) who failed his vetting process for the first guy (Andersen)?

Oh I agree with that.  Barry is a problem, but Barry is basically untouchable.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
Did he get out while the gettin was good? Yes? Did Alvarez hold the door for him? Very possible. I suspect both sides are happy with the separation. Best case for Andersen was getting fired next year.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
Well, now those delusional Vadger fans are doing cartwheels (at least the ones who aren't too fat) over a .500 coach from Pitt.

Hope he's prepared to deal with those sky-high academic requirements. ::)

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »
Did he get out while the gettin was good? Yes? Did Alvarez hold the door for him? Very possible. I suspect both sides are happy with the separation. Best case for Andersen was getting fired next year.
you're delusional. UW hasn't fired a FB coach in 35 years. GA wasn't getting canned.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »
you're delusional. UW hasn't fired a FB coach in 35 years. GA wasn't getting canned.

Except of course for Don Morton, but otherwise your right, they didn't fire the two most successful coaches in their history in Alvarez and Bielema, one of whom retired/became AD, the other who chose to escape said overbearing AD.

Lousy this year. Next year no Melvin Gordon, No QB, no WRs, and wanting to play a style and bring I talent his AD didn't agree with. They were going to be worse next year. Guy would have been as good as gone.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
He was not forced out.

Was Buzz?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2014, 11:07:32 PM »
Except of course for Don Morton, but otherwise your right, they didn't fire the two most successful coaches in their history in Alvarez and Bielema, one of whom retired/became AD, the other who chose to escape said overbearing AD.

Lousy this year. Next year no Melvin Gordon, No QB, no WRs, and wanting to play a style and bring I talent his AD didn't agree with. They were going to be worse next year. Guy would have been as good as gone.

However, they play in a very mediocre conference...and a pathetic division within that conference.

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »
He was not forced out.

Was Buzz?
I think Buzz's departure was well known.... Bill Cords mentioned in his press conference that they had already begun the search for his replacement:

Cords said Marquette already had engaged in internal discussions about the possibility of Williams leaving and added that the position would be filled as soon as possible.

Compare that with Alvarez's comments:

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said in a press conference Wednesday evening that he was "very surprised" by the news. "I really had no idea this was in the works," he said.

feedback