'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How many years away are we from Buzz-level success?  (Read 7080 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
How many years away are we from Buzz-level success?
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »
This was always supposed to be the rebuilding year (last year, if Vander had stayed, we were a lock as a NCAA tourney team). But I'm just curious if you think we'll ever achieve the success Buzz had here - I'm talking things like a conference title, a conference POY, and S16-S16-E8. Could we be back as early as next just on the strength of Henry, or is this a long-term adjustment?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: How many years away are we from Buzz-level success?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »
My thought process all along has been that year three was when the program would start to take off. Nothing has changed that, though I have to admit I'm disappointed Burton won't be around for those first 3 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »
16-17, if everything falls into place. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
When we say Buzz level success are we saying 3 sweet 16s in a row at least? Or making the tourney every year with good runs within certain years?

Bold prediction, I think next year we are a top 6 seed in a region and the following year, depending on the 2016 recruiting class we are a top 2 seed.  Should that prove true I think you will find the recruits to be pouring in and would allow sustained success.

So I think within 2 years we will be in a position to sustain success
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
This was always supposed to be the rebuilding year (last year, if Vander had stayed, we were a lock as a NCAA tourney team). But I'm just curious if you think we'll ever achieve the success Buzz had here - I'm talking things like a conference title, a conference POY, and S16-S16-E8. Could we be back as early as next just on the strength of Henry, or is this a long-term adjustment?

I think next year is plausible. There's a reason Duane Luke and JJJ were rated highly get this year match them with henry and a little more experienced Sandy and we'll be good next year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »
Giving up on this season already?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »
Hard to say. We could have at as soon as next season or it could be never.

I think we could have a very good team next season. The recruiting class is elite. Duane is shaping up to be a stud. JjJ was highly rated most players make the biggest jumps between their sophomore and junior campaigns. Luke is an unknown but I'm optimistic. I have heard very good things about Wally Ellenson. Steve, I'm hoping will benefit from playing the four versus the five. Cohen has looked like quite the player in the early goings. Get a graduate transfer, a juco, and maybe another frosh and you have a pretty quality team. And most of them will be Wojo's guys, which can make a world of difference.

Lots of ifs up there, but it is definitely plausible.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
Giving up on this season already?

No but if this season goes anywhere I'll chalk it up as a pleasant surprise not as a big expectation

Hard to say. We could have at as soon as next season or it could be never.

I think we could have a very good team next season. The recruiting class is elite. Duane is shaping up to be a stud. JjJ was highly rated most players make the biggest jumps between their sophomore and junior campaigns. Luke is an unknown but I'm optimistic. I have heard very good things about Wally Ellenson. Steve, I'm hoping will benefit from playing the four versus the five. Cohen has looked like quite the player in the early goings. Get a graduate transfer, a juco, and maybe another frosh and you have a pretty quality team. And most of them will be Wojo's guys, which can make a world of difference.

Lots of ifs up there, but it is definitely plausible.

I actually think we could be better without a grad transfer next year.  I Think it'd be better for chemistry and moving into 16-17
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:54:08 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »
We are closer to achieving Buzz-level success than Buzz is.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
We are closer to achieving Buzz-level success than Buzz is.

Well played :)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
I still think next year we make a jump and should be pretty darn good. In two years we should be really, really good.

I do have to ask though. Where do people keep getting positive vibes regarding Wally coming in and contributing. Unless he massively improved by practicing with us for a couple months already you guys are nuts.

I see people still piling on JJJ as a serious work in progress. Ummm watch Wally in a D1 basketball game.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »
I get the sense people are expecting Henry here in 2016-2017.  Is that conventional wisdom?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »
I think next year is plausible. There's a reason Duane Luke and JJJ were rated highly get this year match them with henry and a little more experienced Sandy and we'll be good next year.

Why is JJJ's high school sr class rating thrown around on this board like it forever validates him as a big-time player?  

We've all seen him play.  He sucks.  You need much better players at this level.  I said it about him all the way back to this summer.  Time to judge him for his play in an MU uniform, which has been flat awful 40 games in now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »

I do have to ask though. Where do people keep getting positive vibes regarding Wally coming in and contributing. Unless he massively improved by practicing with us for a couple months already you guys are nuts.

I see people still piling on JJJ as a serious work in progress. Ummm watch Wally in a D1 basketball game.

Wally Ellenson minutes in two years at Minnesota- TOTAL= 110

JJJ minutes in one year plus eight games at MU- TOTAL= 445

See any difference why some, especially me, are totally off the JJJ bandwagon?  Wally is a big time athlete, has good size for forward or guard at this level, is stronger than JJJ.  I'm not saying Wally is going to do this or that, but he hasn't been given a chance yet at D-1.  JJJ has and he's stunk.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »
Why is JJJ's high school sr class rating thrown around on this board like it forever validates him as a big-time player?  

We've all seen him play.  He sucks.  You need much better players at this level.  I said it about him all the way back to this summer.  Time to judge him for his play in an MU uniform, which has been flat awful 40 games in now.

Did JJJ steal your girl? You bash him every chance you get.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
The Hutch has taken a decidedly bitter tone as of late.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
I get the sense people are expecting Henry here in 2016-2017.  Is that conventional wisdom?

For all the talk of one-and-dones, there aren't really very many of them any given season.

I would think he would be more likely to be here for 2016-17 than to not be here for that season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
Wally Ellenson minutes in two years at Minnesota- TOTAL= 110

JJJ minutes in one year plus eight games at MU- TOTAL= 445

See any difference why some, especially me, are totally off the JJJ bandwagon?  Wally is a big time athlete, has good size for forward or guard at this level, is stronger than JJJ.  I'm not saying Wally is going to do this or that, but he hasn't been given a chance yet at D-1.  JJJ has and he's stunk.

I have watched them both player everyone of those minutes and JJJ is the far more polished player(doesn't even say much) and has far, far more upside.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
I have watched them both player everyone of those minutes and JJJ is the far more polished player(doesn't even say much) and has far, far more upside.

If you say so.  And when is he going to start showing this vast potential you are positive he has in him, other than against UT-Martin?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 10:52:50 PM »

Yeah, I know.  It's really directed at the style over substance crowd here that ad nauseum talk about his ranking coming in to MU, and not at how he's played. 

I truly do hope I'm wrong.  We're down to an eight man roster and we sure could use him to show and contribute something.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 10:54:13 PM »
The Hutch has taken a decidedly bitter tone as of late.

I can't disagree with you.

I'll say this about JJJ as a positive- I give the kid a lot of credit for hanging in there this season at least and not bailing on a short-handed team like Burton and Dawson just did. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 11:31:23 PM »
I still think next year we make a jump and should be pretty darn good. In two years we should be really, really good.

Wally was hampered by an injury early in his career. It was also pretty well know that he and Lil' Richard (Pitino) didn't see eye to eye. But mostly I am basing it off what I am hearing from people who say he is a lot better than people seem to think he is and that he will play meaningful minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 11:45:07 PM »
Wally was hampered by an injury early in his career. It was also pretty well know that he and Lil' Richard (Pitino) didn't see eye to eye. But mostly I am basing it off what I am hearing from people who say he is a lot better than people seem to think he is and that he will play meaningful minutes.

He struggled in his short time with Tubby as well injury or not. But I hope you are right in that he is improving because a guy with his size and athleticism would be very nice to have production from. He just couldn't shoot or play d with the gophers. Maybe extended PT will help him as well.

A productive and key rotation Wally helps the chances of two years of Henry as well.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 01:15:36 AM »

I agree TAMU. I remember watching a couple Minny games when he was a freshman and he caught my eye right away when he was on the floor. Very athletic - he is going to become a fan favorite.

He is a much better player than what we saw from Burton this year - will make more things happen on the floor, rebound better and turn the ball over less. He will also shoot a higher % from the floor than Deonte.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »
I am sure that the developing players come to Scoop for motivational speeches, such as, hey he really sucks.

We know this is a rebuilding year but stranger things have happened than if MU wins some big games. How about we give our guys a chance this year and lighten up a little. Whining because Buzz left, some of our players suck or gee we didn't beat a top 20 team so far is simply having unrealistic expectations.

Let's see where the team is a the end of the year before we send them to the scrap heap. With a little perspective you might even enjoy a few of the games this year.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

feedback