[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 3 Open Scholarships  (Read 66878 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: 3 Open Scholarships
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »
I don't think Heldt is an insurance policy...Henry is going to play the 4 if not the 3 at MU IMHO

Agree completely.  I see Henry, Luke and Steve as the starting front line next season with Heldt getting Frosh minutes.  I could also see JjJ playing the 3 when Steve comes out or goes to the #5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »
Marquette announced Luke's transfer in mid January, but rumblings came out just before the first of the year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
Marquette announced Luke's transfer in mid January, but rumblings came out just before the first of the year.

My memory is foggy.  I know for certain he was enrolled in school as the semester started on 1/13.  I do remember him attending a game with his parents just after the announcement but can't for the life of me recall if it was a conference game.  Now that I think of it, he attended only one game prior joining the team on the bench so I bet you're right as usual my good man.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Agree completely.  I see Henry, Luke and Steve as the starting front line next season with Heldt getting Frosh minutes.  I could also see JjJ playing the 3 when Steve comes out or goes to the #5.

If Semi comes, I think JjJ's minutes might be limited unless he can break in at the 2.  This is predicated the substantially error prone "practice rumors" that Wally is the bee's knees.  If Wally is actually a legit players, I think you see a lot of Ellenson minutes at the 3 with JjJ picking up scraps.

Something along the lines of 25, 10, 5....again depending on how good the Ellensons actually are.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
If Semi comes, I think JjJ's minutes might be limited unless he can break in at the 2.  This is predicated the substantially error prone "practice rumors" that Wally is the bee's knees.  If Wally is actually a legit players, I think you see a lot of Ellenson minutes at the 3 with JjJ picking up scraps.

Something along the lines of 25, 10, 5....again depending on how good the Ellensons actually are.

If JjJ truly sees himself picking up scraps as a Junior and passed over by Wally I think he'll 'consider his options'.  I certainly don't want to start something or speculate but no Top 50 recruit wants to be 3rd option.  This is especially true if we land a PG because then Duane will be playing the SG spot 30+ minutes.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »
Just makes sense. Wojo was his lead recruiter, he's a top-40 RSCI kid that has been buried behind tons of future NBA players in Parker, Hood, and Winslow, and Duke looks likely to land another top-15 guy at his position (Brandon Ingram) next year.

Granted, Ojeleye will get a lot of interest -- Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, and K-State were all heavily involved out of high school, though he did have an offer from Marquette under Buzz as well. I would guess Wichita State and others will try to get involved (he's from Kansas). Ojeleye's also a phenomenal student, carried a 4.0 GPA in high school.

Fingers crossed, but I've had my eye on an Ojeleye transfer to Marquette since April 1 of this year.

Another connection Tyler T (MU Grad Asst) were teammate last year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GOO

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 12:32:26 PM »

Wojo wanted to be a running pressing team.  Obviously that isn't working out this year due to our bench and personnel.  However, if we are able to run and press next year, the bench will go beyond 8 deep and there will be a lot more playing time available. 

On a side note, I like how willing Wojo was to totally switch up his preferred style, given our actual team and performances. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 12:37:47 PM »

I think Semi and JJJ would be complementary players and play at the same time. We have to see if Wally substantially improved his basketball skills during his year off. We know he can jump but can he play?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

Perhaps.  I just don't know his mindset and what he is thinking. 

Well maybe some of the folks who seem to think they know the intimate details about reasons for Deonte Burton transfer can enlighten us in this one as well.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
Wojo wanted to be a running pressing team.  Obviously that isn't working out this year due to our bench and personnel.  However, if we are able to run and press next year, the bench will go beyond 8 deep and there will be a lot more playing time available. 

On a side note, I like how willing Wojo was to totally switch up his preferred style, given our actual team and performances. 

+100 I agree. Have loved his ability to adjust to him team makeup and also in game situations. He's been able to adapt to what type of players we currently have. The zone defense has given our guys some fresher legs by the end of the game and have allowed our small in numbers bench to be effective. It has also hidden our lack of size a bit.

I don't have high hopes for this year but I think the future is very bright in regards to what Wojo is going to be able to do on the recruiting front as well as instilling the type of culture that he wants for Marquette. It's an exciting time even if there are going to be some major bumps along the way.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
I think Semi and JJJ would be complementary players and play at the same time. We have to see if Wally substantially improved his basketball skills during his year off. We know he can jump but can he play?

I agree they are complimentary but it all depends on available PT.  Having Teve and Semi allows Henry to play the 3 where the bulk of JjJ's minutes would come.  If Wally can play it would likely be at the 3.  Not calling for all this but it's a real possibility given how JjJ hasn't been impressive to date

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
I think the quality of next year's class will show us Wojo's true recruiting ability. While getting Semi would held with this year's practice, it is also an indication that Wojo does not think he can bring in three  highly regarded freshmen in the next class. The signing of a mid-season transfer or a Juco player, tells me he sees this year's class as a one time thing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
I think the quality of next year's class will show us Wojo's true recruiting ability. While getting Semi would held with this year's practice, it is also an indication that Wojo does not think he can bring in three  highly regarded freshmen in the next class. The signing of a mid-season transfer or a Juco player, tells me he sees this year's class as a one time thing.

??? He's already got four highly regarded freshman in his next class. Are you saying if he doesn't get three more in this class it is an indication that he won't recruit at this level ever again?

There aren't many highly regarded freshman left unsigned. And many of the ones who are unsigned have already named final lists of schools. If Wojo is going to fill all three schollies, he's gonna have to look at the transfer and juco ranks.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
??? He's already got four highly regarded freshman in his next class. Are you saying if he doesn't get three more in this class it is an indication that he won't recruit at this level ever again?

There aren't many highly regarded freshman left unsigned. And many of the ones who are unsigned have already named final lists of schools. If Wojo is going to fill all three schollies, he's gonna have to look at the transfer and juco ranks.

Not to mention that 7 freshman would really screw up the balance.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »

I think he is talking bout the 2016 class, for the 2016-2017 but I don't know why getting Semi(a big talent) to commit would indicate that Wojo has already thrown in the towel on that recruiting class.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »

I think you add top players whenever you can.  The future will take care of itself.  These days, slots open up regularly.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »

So coming to a new part of the country where he has limited lies and within six months landing three top 100 kids with whom MU had no chance previously doesn't say anything about Wojo's "true" recruiting ability?
Tough crowd.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »
I think you add top players whenever you can.  The future will take care of itself.  These days, slots open up regularly.

This all day and twice on Sunday

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
This all day and twice on Sunday

Preach on.  Hell, take it in four times on Sunday if you want.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »

Absolutely.  It has been difficult enough with all of the end of season transfers you see these days...but now with increasing numbers of players choosing the mid-season route (Luke, Deonte, John, Semi, etc), you have to get them while you can.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Somebody needs to start Flightrackering Wojo's plane.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »
Preach on.  Hell, take it in four times on Sunday if you want.

Thought it was "Never on Sunday," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
Somebody needs to start Flightrackering Wojo's plane.

Like we did with Shaka?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
Absolutely, positively, must get an experienced guard for depth.   Either a one year rental or a JUCO.   I have no problem starting Duane and JJJ next year.   I worry about only having freshmen for depth.    Ergo.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »
Absolutely, positively, must get an experienced guard for depth.   Either a one year rental or a JUCO.   I have no problem starting Duane and JJJ next year.   I worry about only having freshmen for depth.    Ergo.....

Not sold that Duane is a point, Nick not sure of either as he seems to be a scorer as well, MU needs a point guard next year, graduate student or  a JC kid would be nice.  Just need one
more player!  Are they looking at any points right now?