Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Hangs On, 74-63  (Read 6835 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: LSU or Oklahoma State...
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 04:57:03 PM »
Either way, Marquette basketball is in trouble tomorrow. 

See this thread:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=4564

I'm not saying we're in awesome shape.  But just about every year we beat this "small" teams by only like 10 pts, and end up doing ok.  Since this is the same team that did "ok" last year, I'm not going to forecast trouble yet.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Re: Marquette Hangs On, 74-63
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 05:03:34 PM »
Just a couple quick points:
  • Yes, MU had Vancouver, but it's still November hoops. It's early yet. Let's not go nuts just yet. If we are hanging on by 7 in late December, then I'll really worry (and that withstands us not getting blown out the next two games).
  • Fitzgerald has never been known for his defensive prowess, but as a shooter, he's only as good as the point guards on the floor getting him the ball in space for a shot. He cant' create his own and needs the PG help. Which brings me to...
  • DJ needs to focus on being a point guard. Meaning, he manages the court and his team and focuses on scoring second. He needs to take charge out there and score when it's needed and when the shot is there. Forcing the issue should not be up to him. MU had 6 assists for the game....against that team...with a guard-heavy lineup. That's astounding and sad.
  • I don't know what's w/Ooze early this year. Looks lost out there for some reason. Hopefully he picks it up and they get his motor going.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: LSU or Oklahoma State...
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »
Same could have been said last year. Actually it was said last year.

Ahhh yes, and thanks to the MUScoop time machine, here are some threads after the Idaho State game last year

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=235.0

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=248.0

I might note, that in the second game of that tourney, we crushed Detroit 87-45 :)

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 05:06:42 PM »
Ahh...cool, thanks rocky for the history lesson.

I just dislike the suspense though, dernit!

I want us to DESTROY the competition day in and day out...make fools look goofy.  But word, a W's a W, even if it's Weak.  ;D

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
01 JAMES, Dominic...... g FG 4-12, 3-PT  0-4, FT 3-4, Rebounds 0, PF 1, PTS 11, Assists 2, TO 0, St 3, Min 28

That line makes me sick.  if the shots aren't falling, he needs to pass. there is no reason for him to throw up 12 field goal attempts in a game where Jerel and Lazar both shoot over 50% and Cubillan is also having a solid game.  He was in the game with all three of those players on a couple occasions did not pass the ball off with consistency.  2 assists is pathetic. other than that, great game from McNeal and Hayward.  Matthews needs to bring his offensive game out soon. Another solid effort by Cubillan and decent work by Burke as well in limited time.

I really hope we can get a solid lead in one of the next few games so Blackledge and Hazel can get a few more minutes.  I liked Blackledge coming in early but wished Crean would have given him some minutes in the second half as well.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 06:58:12 PM »
01 JAMES, Dominic...... g FG 4-12, 3-PT  0-4, FT 3-4, Rebounds 0, PF 1, PTS 11, Assists 2, TO 0, St 3, Min 28

That line makes me sick.  if the shots aren't falling, he needs to pass. there is no reason for him to throw up 12 field goal attempts in a game where Jerel and Lazar both shoot over 50% and Cubillan is also having a solid game.  He was in the game with all three of those players on a couple occasions did not pass the ball off with consistency.  2 assists is pathetic. other than that, great game from McNeal and Hayward.  Matthews needs to bring his offensive game out soon. Another solid effort by Cubillan and decent work by Burke as well in limited time.

I wanna preface by saying 1-i  had a patient so i didnt see the game, 2- i agree that james needs to play better. However, seems as if he is becoming once again the easy scapegoat for alot of people. This team has 3 or 4 pgs right now and james doesnt get to run the team the way he can, hence the few amt of assists. He rarely turns the ball over and he is averaging 3 steals/game and played good defense, atleast in the first 2 games. His shot selection was also better in the first 2, and some of his misses are because he often has to take the bail out buzzer beaters. He is shooting above 80% from the line so that has improved. I think he needs to be given the freedom he was given as a freshman- the ability to drive freely with the decision of pass/shoot. He should be the pg, along with cubillan off the bench. Only when teams start to send 2 guys at him will this team improve, because no matter what anyone says he is an excellent passer and makes good decisions in the lane.
Also, he seems to be getting more blame than others struggling, such as matthews, fitz, barro- 3 starters from last yr who are playing worse.

PS- we can criticize and discuss, but it would be nice if we waited atleast for a loss to doom this team. trust me, dj and matthews wont continue to play poorly forever. neither will fitz and barro

I really hope we can get a solid lead in one of the next few games so Blackledge and Hazel can get a few more minutes.  I liked Blackledge coming in early but wished Crean would have given him some minutes in the second half as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Ahh...cool, thanks rocky for the history lesson.

I just dislike the suspense though, dernit!

I want us to DESTROY the competition day in and day out...make fools look goofy.  But word, a W's a W, even if it's Weak.  ;D

We aren't that kind of team.  I don't think we will blow out anyone this year, just as I don't think we will be blown out by anyone.  We just aren't that type of team.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 07:08:10 PM »

That line makes me sick.  if the shots aren't falling, he needs to pass. there is no reason for him to throw up 12 field goal attempts in a game where Jerel and Lazar both shoot over 50% and Cubillan is also having a solid game.  He was in the game with all three of those players on a couple occasions did not pass the ball off with consistency.  2 assists is pathetic. other than that, great game from McNeal and Hayward.  Matthews needs to bring his offensive game out soon.

Assists are hard to come by when your teammates don't make shots. 

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
Do you really think that's the reason James isn't getting assists?  I think anyone who watches him play knows that's not true.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 07:15:55 PM »
i realize the assist issue isn't entirely james' fault, w/no one making the long ball, but what about interior passing? MU had 6 assists, in the entire game. Thats absolutely unacceptable. That means that there's too much one on one going on= bad offense

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 07:24:01 PM »
Do you really think that's the reason James isn't getting assists?  I think anyone who watches him play knows that's not true.

I think James would get more assists if his teammates could make shots....but to your point, no it's not the only reason.

I thought he only took 1 or 2 bad shots today, he had open looks, weren't forced, etc.

As a team we had less than 10 assists and so did the opponents...not a good shooting display by either team.  It's one of those stats that needs a successful FG% to add up.

Pardner

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »
Didn't see the game today...but couple of stats popped out.  

~We had 14 steals...so far we are averaging 10 a game.
~19 TO's forced today...opponents averaging 17/game.
~For the second game in a row we gave up 16 offensive rebounds....averaging 12 a game given up.

So, we will live or die with our sword:  going small with pressure defense on the ball.  If we seal off the rebounding lanes on D, we blow the past two teams out.   Ooze will be starting again in the near future.  Against a zone, I would like to see Mo direct the point more.  He is a  better option than DJ against the match-up and can hit the trey.  We'll be fine once TC gets our rotation down.  Cube and Lazar have stepped it up nicely this year.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »
While I realize DJ did not have that many bad looks, he shot for a low percentage and should have been looking to move the ball instead of dribbling stationary like he does.  There's no reason to put up as many shots as he did when you're shot isn't falling and other people's are.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
1) The thing that still bugs me about the 3 junior guards - most of the time they still drive into the lane, draw a crowd, and still look to take the shot (usually resulting in a turnover) rather than looking to pass back out.

2)  I like how the Chaminade coach put it.  I get the feeling we can "out-athlete" most teams we play.  Problem is, we only do it when we *have* to - thus leading to close games...
"We hit a couple of bumps there and they were able to come up with the ball and it led to a couple of dunks," Chaminade coach Matt Mahar said. "I think they looked up at the clock and decided it was time to turn up the pressure. They're super athletic."

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2007, 09:31:31 PM »

This idea that we have a "Big Three" is completely misguided. As some discussed on the chat during the game, Hayward appears to be one of our best offensive players, but he doesn't have the slack that the three juniors have -- for whatever reason. And frankly, if James doesn't pick it up he should be benched. We can't have a point guard that throws up airballs from 3 and is afraid to go to the basket because he doesn't want to shoot free throws. I think Crean is slightly wary of James sulking and sticks with him longer than he should.

I agree with you on James. Hard to believe he even thought about going pro last year.

feedback