[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could the MU vs UW game ever be at a neutral site?  (Read 8413 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Could the MU vs UW game ever be at a neutral site?
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »
Was just thinking about how kentucky and Indiana got into that big spat over kentucky trying to bring the game to a neutral site and was wondering if that could happen to the MU UW game.  I think if there was a big enough place somewhat between the schools it could be a cool set up with two student sections and such.  Just wondering what yall think.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Could the MU vs UW game ever be at a neutral site?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »
Where?

Outside of Madison and Milwaukee, I doubt seriously there is an arena anywhere in the state that would be large enough for such a game.

We kinda tried this years ago by pretending that Marquette and Wisconsin were co-hosts of the Milwaukee Not-so-Classic. Wisconsin got tired of being beaten regularly on Marquette's home court.

Out-of-state, no one cares unless Becky and Willie Wampum are both in the Top 10.

Let's go a step further. What financial incentive exists to play this game anywhere except Milwaukee and Madison?

So NO! Our fans find a way to make it to Rodentland and their fans find a way to make it to Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:39:48 AM by dgies9156 »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »
As far as I'm concerned the game at the Bradley Center is a neutral game.  Last time I went it was 40% badger fans.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »
Was just thinking about how kentucky and Indiana got into that big spat over kentucky trying to bring the game to a neutral site and was wondering if that could happen to the MU UW game.  I think if there was a big enough place somewhat between the schools it could be a cool set up with two student sections and such.  Just wondering what yall think.

I agree with the where question.

But bigger than that, as an MU fan, why would we want to do that?  Becky would overwhelm the attendance, ya know, them not having jobs and being hippies and all.  There are far more UW fans than MU fans, a neutral site within Wisconsin is not going to get us anything but out counted through the turnstile so what would be the point?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »
Was just thinking about how kentucky and Indiana got into that big spat over kentucky trying to bring the game to a neutral site and was wondering if that could happen to the MU UW game.  I think if there was a big enough place somewhat between the schools it could be a cool set up with two student sections and such.  Just wondering what yall think.

Where?  The Johnson Creek Outlet Mall?

The BC and KC are the two largest basketball arenas in the state.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
Oconomowoc High School?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
Oconomowoc High School?
Hey, the size of the Oconomowoc Arena just doubled......

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
As far as I'm concerned the game at the Bradley Center is a neutral game.  Last time I went it was 40% badger fans.

1998?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
I don't know where, I live in Chicago, figured you sconis could have that covered. Just thought itd be interesting.  I'm not sure we'd get destroyed in attendence but I just think it'd be kinda cool to have the opposing student sections facing each other and such.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »
when was this? the last few i've been to have been standard home court splits with in-state rival... never noticed any more red than would be expected given how big the BC is...

on the flip side, the last time i went to the Kohl-hole (2011 win) was a big percentage of MU fans. granted, that was the same day as the B1G champ game, but still, was great to see Blue/Gold taking over.  

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
1998?

LOL.  It actually has been awhile.  I think it was 2008.  We won that game but the Badgers we leading all of the first half and the place was very loud despite Marquette being behind.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »
I don't know where, I live in Chicago, figured you sconis could have that covered. Just thought itd be interesting.  I'm not sure we'd get destroyed in attendence but I just think it'd be kinda cool to have the opposing student sections facing each other and such.

But who wants to look at them for two hours?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 09:56:10 AM »

I'd gladly look at a lot of those Madison girls for two hours instead of many a marquette girl (though in my five years we did move up in that department)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »

We could play "Where will UW Photoshop the minority?"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
Miller Park. Let's take away any homecourt advantage MU might have at the BC!

The difference between MU-UW and IU-UK is that the distribution of IU and UK fans is fairly evenly distributed. In the state of Wisconsin, Badger fans outnumber MU fans at least 20 to 1.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »

The difference between MU-UW and IU-UK is that the distribution of IU and UK fans is fairly evenly distributed. In the state of Wisconsin, Badger fans outnumber MU fans at least 20 to 1.

Correct.  A better example of how a neutral site could work is having ND and MU playing a game at the United Center.  (I have thought you could have a nice double-header with those two teams, and then DePaul v. either UI or NW.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »

Correct.  A better example of how a neutral site could work is having ND and MU playing a game at the United Center.  (I have thought you could have a nice double-header with those two teams, and then DePaul v. either UI or NW.)

I like that idea but if we included loyola chicago instead against depaul (rather have four private schools)
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »
Northwestern is private.  But yeah I get your point.  UI could dominate the crowd.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »

except Miller Park isn't really heated in December

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
But bigger than that, as an MU fan, why would we want to do that?  Becky would overwhelm the attendance, ya know, them not having jobs and being hippies and all.

No greater truth hath ever been spoken on Scoop.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
I like the idea of doing it at a neutral site every year as long as that site is the MECCA!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
Neutral site games work best when there is a good facility approximately midway between the schools and both schools are in the same ballpark of overall size/fanbase.  Otherwise, the larger school would likely dominate the crowd.

Good examples are Illinois - Mizzou in St. Louis, and the Florida - Georgia football game in Jacksonville.

For us, that would seem to leave us with something like ND in Chicago, as others have mentioned.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »

This is just what I was thinking. Love the doubleheader idea.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
LOL.  It actually has been awhile.  I think it was 2008.  We won that game but the Badgers we leading all of the first half and the place was very loud despite Marquette being behind.

I believe that was a Saturday night game. Jerel had a huge second half and MU pulled away. Great crowd that night.

When they used to play while the students were gone, it was a UW home game. Thankfully Crean started scheduling it before finals, and MU got their homecourt back.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
Coulda happened in the 2003 Tourney but Bucky fooked up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback