Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo-post game-Volunteers  (Read 17821 times)

mu-rara

• All American
Re: Wojo-post game-Volunteers
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »

I'm beginning to think that this is an alternate Ners account...set up simply to reaffirm everything he says.

I was thinking the same.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »

I'm beginning to think that this is an alternate Ners account...set up simply to reaffirm everything he says.

We both just see things clearly Scoop Stalker.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
We both just see things clearly Scoop Stalker.

<yawn>

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
<yawn>

Must be coming to the end of your 18 hr shift huh?!  ;D

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 09:45:24 PM »

This is ridiculous.  And one I'm sure the Mods can put to rest.  But, let's get real Sultan - there could be about 7 alternate accounts that you set up, each of which has historically tried to put the lipstick on the pig of the last 14 months.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
This is ridiculous.  And one I'm sure the Mods can put to rest.  But, let's get real Sultan - there could be about 7 alternate accounts that you set up, each of which has historically tried to put the lipstick on the pig of the last 14 months.

LOL...you never, ever let things slide do you?  You might be the easiest guy to troll in the history of the internet.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

LOL...you never, ever let things slide do you?  You might be the easiest guy to troll in the history of the internet.

Right back at you (And BrewCity77) (your alternate account here - haha -see what I did there?  Aren't I funny?)  Talk about easy to troll:  I mean Brew had to bail last year and you of course had to conveniently give this board up for Lent to coincide with the time that all of your expert analysis on Buzz/last season was imploding.  Nice maneuver Sultan.  Did you end up going over to BrewCity Ball site with Brew during lent and humping his leg over there too?   ;D
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

kclem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
Lastly, let's also put Derrick's performance into perspective:
36 minutes.  11 points. 2 rebounds.  2 assists. 2 steals 0 turnovers.  

I thought that one of the keys to our win was our ability to consistently beat their press and get into a half court game with plenty of time left on the shot clock. It was a team effort, but Derrick was a big part of that.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:38 PM »
Just filling in some more details on the post game comments, but admittedly its all fluff:

1. Wojo's hand injury was more from extracting hand from the wipe-board (sounded like Wojo was calling it a "wipe-it board") than the actual punching through the board.  Point he was trying to express was how they had to fight "human nature" which was to let their guard down after three games in four days (fourth game in seven days) and didn't want to see that happen... knew they needed 100% and were not just playing a great TN team, but fighting their own human nature to let their guard down.  Wojo's response to injury, just a "flesh wound".
2. Jim Mc. said "rumer had it" that Kevin O. punched a locker in Illinois when he was coaching and broke his hand, but refused to have it cast because he did not want to give the players the satisfaction of knowing he broke his hand.  Wojo's response was he thinks he drinks a little more milk than Kevin did.  Ha!  Great line.
3. Derick brings it every day and is a great player to coach and a great teammate.
4. MU is leaving this tournament a MUCH better team than it was when it arrived, which is what everyone is looking for and great to see.  Is very happy about that and felt no one played harder than MU at this tournament. Playing your butt off is what Wojo expects and what is needed.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:19:31 PM by Logi4three »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »
Lastly, let's also put Derrick's performance into perspective:
36 minutes.  11 points. 2 rebounds.  2 assists. 2 steals 0 turnovers.  

I thought that one of the keys to our win was our ability to consistently beat their press and get into a half court game with plenty of time left on the shot clock. It was a team effort, but Derrick was a big part of that.

Yes - We did do a nice job against their press - and Derrick was a big part of that.  Duane and Carlino also did well against it as well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 10:28:19 PM »
Right back at you (And BrewCity77) (your alternate account here - haha -see what I did there?  Aren't I funny?)  Talk about easy to troll:  I mean Brew had to bail last year and you of course had to conveniently give this board up for Lent to coincide with the time that all of your expert analysis on Buzz/last season was imploding.  Nice maneuver Sultan.  Did you end up going over to BrewCity Ball site with Brew during lent and humping his leg over there too?   ;D

I'm sure you won't believe either of these, but you had nothing to do with me leaving and nothing to do with me coming back. Absolutely zero impact on either of those.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 12:41:33 AM »
11 points, two rebounds, two assists, two steals, and zero turnovers is not an average stat line. Not a great one by any means. But a player who put that up every night is probably the second or third best player on his team. It's an above average stat line.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 07:29:23 AM »
LOL - Yep, not even close.  If Derrick can perform as he did today on a fairly consistent basis - I won't have jack to say.  He absolutely helped the team win that game today.  I have no problem with him getting 30 minutes a game if this kind of performance continues.

It is good to talk about what most can agree upon.

Let's try a second thought, that Wojo is obviously defensive oriented and, as he stated he is trying to change a mind set on the team (I.e. building confidence in some Buzzified players).  That is Wojo expects/hopes these players will become more confident and with that confidence the shots will begin to drop. Meanwhile he is trying to teach D to some of the more offensive players. So which strategy will succeed? I think we all hope both but if not the team wins if either succeeds. Until he sees improvement in the defense Derrick will keep his minutes and if he plays like he did yesterday he keeps his minutes.  At this point I do not see Wojo changing that approach given recent events. So maybe, for now, it is time for all us to support a new coach who so far has squeezed a lot out of the MU orange. It is very exciting to me to see this team grow and to put this growth into perspective think of the disaster last year. With a new approach by Wojo he may just be right.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »
At this point I do not see Wojo changing that approach given recent events. So maybe, for now, it is time for all us to support a new coach who so far has squeezed a lot out of the MU orange.

Plenty of armchair quarterbacks, but I don't see anyone NOT supporting Wojo or hoping he doesn't succeed. From the first game it was clear to me he had a plan for how he wanted the kids to play. Understandable (this year) that it takes a while for players to get it and then respond accordingly. This weekend catapulted the team ahead to where I thought they might be by January. A very good sign that the season may not be a total loss.

Let's try a second thought, that Wojo is obviously defensive oriented and, as he stated he is trying to change a mind set on the team (I.e. building confidence in some Buzzified players).  That is Wojo expects/hopes these players will become more confident and with that confidence the shots will begin to drop.

I love your point about confidence. IMHO there is plenty of young talent on this team, but little confidence in most of the returning players due to both how Buzz coached last year and general inexperience. Wojo appears to understand this and the rapid development of the team tells me his approach to solving it is working. Another good sign not just for this year, but future of the program.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:08:01 AM by Ruby »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:47 AM »
11 points, two rebounds, two assists, two steals, and zero turnovers is not an average stat line. Not a great one by any means. But a player who put that up every night is probably the second or third best player on his team. It's an above average stat line.

I would be thrilled with anything close to that from Derrick for the rest of his Marquette career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
No doubt Derrick is a much better player when he has two teammates on the floor that can shoot, spread the floor, and move the ball efficiently.  It allows his driving skill to be utilized so much more effectively.  We already know that his on ball defense is probably the best on the team and his floor leadership skills are excellent.

I also caught the comment made during the game about Wojo's influence on Matt Carlino.  I believe coach will make a much better ballplayer out of him this year dramatically increasing his chance at a paycheck next year. Perhaps that what Matt saw in Wojo when he decided to transfer to MU.  Yesterday, he played completely within himself.  Almost nothing (or nothing at all) forced.  Outstanding.

Lastly, how 'bout that spectacular inside out pass from Steve to Duane for the 3 late in the second half?  THAT'S ball movement.  Nice work big fella.  Help for you is on the way.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
"Every program would love to have Derrick Wilson.   He shows up every day and all he cares about is winning.   I absolutely love coaching Derrick.  He's a competitive guy and I love that about him."

Game over.   
Of course Tower, game over. But wait, it is not over until the fat lady sings. We need to hear "elite gamechanger" from Wojo to say game over. By the way, the above is what should be expected from all senior basketball players, also shoot FT's at a competitive clip, score points, play D and lead by example. So far, Derrick has the D and lead down pretty good. Scoring, FT's and elite gamechanger--not so much. He is what he is--a role player.

Game, set, match.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 09:46:50 AM »
I thought this was an interesting quote from Wojo:

"Duane loves the moment. I think that's what you find out when you start playing games. Sometimes who you see in practice can be different when the lights are on — in a good or a bad way. For Duane, it's obviously been very good."

Coaches rightly make a lot of decisions based on practice, but good coaches also see who is performing in games and make adjustments accordingly. It's a delicate balance that good coaches are able to achieve.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »

"Duane loves the moment. I think that's what you find out when you start playing games. Sometimes who you see in practice can be different when the lights are on — in a good or a bad way. For Duane, it's obviously been very good."

Coaches rightly make a lot of decisions based on practice, but good coaches also see who is performing in games and make adjustments accordingly. It's a delicate balance that good coaches are able to achieve.

Could explain why Buzz thought there were so many problems with his game.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 10:57:01 AM »
"Every program would love to have Derrick Wilson.   He shows up every day and all he cares about is winning.   I absolutely love coaching Derrick.  He's a competitive guy and I love that about him."

Game over.   

C'mon man.  Don't you know that Wojo was only a top recruit in the country, starting point guard at Duke, played professionally overseas, and was Coach K's right hand man for nearly 15 years at Duke?  He clearly has no knowledge of the game and has never experienced the game at a high level like high school varsity basketball.  He must've been in the band in high school.  Or maybe wrestling.  Ners would play him one on one to put him in his place, punks like him need to be put in their place.  He doesn't know a thing about basketball, just like Bert didn't either.  Ners should be the one getting paid millions of dollars to make these decisions.  We've been sitting Magic Johnson for 2 years now!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Could explain why Buzz thought there were so many problems with his game.

Who said Buzz thought that?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »

Who said Buzz thought that?

I remember reading he thought Duane wasn't ready for college ball yet or saw it all over this board.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »

Yeah you can definitely tell Duane locks in under the bright lights and no doubt has a "sense of the moment." That's a great way of putting it too. He wants the ball when it counts, and he knows what to do with it when he gets it. D-Wade has the same trait.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
I remember reading he thought Duane wasn't ready for college ball yet or saw it all over this board.

That was an IWB talking point special that got parroted on other boards by his BCB subscribers. Basically the mantra was that Duane was getting "dominated" by Derrick in practice last year. I didn't buy it then... and I definitely don't buy it now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 11:10:11 AM »

It was reported that Duane was behind Derrick in practice, which in retrospect isn't all that surprising since Duane was injured and a freshman.  I don't recall it being more than that.

That was an IWB talking point special that got parroted on other boards by his BCB subscribers. Basically the mantra was that Duane was getting "dominated" by Derrick in practice last year. I didn't buy it then... and I definitely don't buy it now.

Why not?  You don't think Duane has vastly improved since he first came to campus over a year ago?  I would think going up against Derrick has helped him tremendously. 

Furthermore Duane was hurt. 

feedback