[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Gyros  (Read 38071 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Marquette Gyros
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
MU restaurant update: Don't know if it's official or not,  but Pita Brothers,  a very popular food truck around campus, is putting in a permanent location about a half-block west of Walgreens on Wisconsin Ave. Certainly an upgrade from the dollar store that was there previously.

I thought that Starbucks was moving to that location because they wanted the bigger space. Btw, I really miss gyros.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »
I was a big Marquette Gyros fan. But this is the way the world is going. People don't want the "local" place anymore. They want name brands and franchises. Everything is becoming suburbia. Americans travel to Europe and are excited to see a McDonald's because it's what they know. Sad. Enjoy that Qdoba and Jimmy Johns or whatever. I seriously doubt 20 years from now there will be a thread about one of those places closing.
We Are Marquette

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
I was a big Marquette Gyros fan. But this is the way the world is going. People don't want the "local" place anymore. They want name brands and franchises. Everything is becoming suburbia. Americans travel to Europe and are excited to see a McDonald's because it's what they know. Sad. Enjoy that Qdoba and Jimmy Johns or whatever. I seriously doubt 20 years from now there will be a thread about one of those places closing.

Pita Brothers couldn't be more local.  From the Marquette Tribune:

Pita Brothers, a popular local food truck, will park its mobile food service this semester and move into the former Campus Dollar location on Wisconsin Avenue.

This is Pita Brothers’ first brick-and-mortar location, a lot which it will share with another, unpicked tenant. It will be located in the 1600 block of W. Wisconsin Ave. alongside Starbucks, Cousins Subs and Walgreens.

“The space is being divided into two spaces, with Pita Brothers leasing roughly half of the space that was previously vacant,” said Jenny Alexander, director of purchasing for the Marquette University Purchasing Department, in an email. “The Office of Finance continues to focus on supporting merchant partnerships that benefit both the university community and business owners, and is excited to be adding Pita Brothers to campus.”

Vijay Swearingen, who co-founded Pita Brothers with his brother Manoj in 2009, said he is excited to come to campus and closely interact with his patrons.

“Marquette, I think, lacks and maybe still does (lack) enough healthy food options,” Swearingen said. “Obviously, you have to create a menu that has healthy food options, but you have to do it in an efficient manner because people, whether they’re students or faculty or work nearby, are always pressed for time.”

Pita Brothers will operate much differently as a restaurant compared to a food truck. Swearingen said he plans to modernize his business. He said he has many ideas including an app and the use of iPads, but he said he’s unsure if he can implement them all.

The restaurant will, however, be efficient.

“We’re trying to be cutting-edge with everything,” Swearingen said. “(The restaurant) is definitely a much more modern concept. The only thing that won’t be modern is MarquetteCash.”

A menu expansion is in the works for the business. It’s not finalized yet, but the Swearingen brothers plan to cater to the Marquette community’s desires, so they’re open to suggestions from customers.

“We’re not 100 percent sure how we are going to finalize the menu because we want to work with the students,” Swearingen said. “We will add more choices but there won’t be an incredible amount of more choices because we want to make sure we move things as efficiently as we can.”

Moving into a retail space is a dream come true for the Swearingen brothers. While parked on campus as a food truck, they formed relationships with their customers.

“The people that have bought pita from our truck are directly responsible for helping us get to a situation where we can open a (restaurant,)” Swearingen said. “It’s a street-to-restaurant type of story where we start on the street, develop a following, friendships or acquaintanceships with the people we serve, and then we take their money and we use that to directly expand our operations and hours to be available to them more often.”

As for the future of the Pita Brothers food truck, its last ride will likely be this fall. Swearingen wants to focus on the restaurant but hasn’t ruled out bringing the truck back in the spring.

“(The truck) will continue to operate until the (restaurant) is officially open and then we have to focus on the management of that (restaurant,)” Swearingen said. “Around November we should park the truck.”
Have some patience, FFS.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »
MU restaurant update: Don't know if it's official or not,  but Pita Brothers,  a very popular food truck around campus, is putting in a permanent location about a half-block west of Walgreens on Wisconsin Ave. Certainly an upgrade from the dollar store that was there previously.

Best of luck to the new place. What was the overpriced, constant health code violating mediterranean themed place that was next door? Pretty sure it was on the corner of 17th and Wisc., where the newer dorm is now. I only dared to get a milkshake there as a hangover cure. This place was constantly empty.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »
Same here....never heard of them in Northern Indiana.

Must be Made Rite that they are referring to.

http://maid-rite.com/

This looks like a sloppy joe, no?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2014, 11:56:05 PM »
Best of luck to the new place. What was the overpriced, constant health code violating mediterranean themed place that was next door? Pretty sure it was on the corner of 17th and Wisc., where the newer dorm is now. I only dared to get a milkshake there as a hangover cure. This place was constantly empty.

You mean ziggy's?  brah?   ;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2014, 03:00:10 AM »
People don't want the "local" place anymore. They want name brands and franchises. Everything is becoming suburbia.

Suburpia was local. The shop on Wells was witness to all sorts of shenanigans in the early morning hours. While I preferred Cousins Suburpia maintained better hours for the drinking man.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
Pita Brothers couldn't be more local.  From the Marquette Tribune:

Pita Brothers, a popular local food truck, will park its mobile food service this semester and move into the former Campus Dollar location on Wisconsin Avenue.

This is Pita Brothers’ first brick-and-mortar location, a lot which it will share with another, unpicked tenant. It will be located in the 1600 block of W. Wisconsin Ave. alongside Starbucks, Cousins Subs and Walgreens.

“The space is being divided into two spaces, with Pita Brothers leasing roughly half of the space that was previously vacant,” said Jenny Alexander, director of purchasing for the Marquette University Purchasing Department, in an email. “The Office of Finance continues to focus on supporting merchant partnerships that benefit both the university community and business owners, and is excited to be adding Pita Brothers to campus.”

Vijay Swearingen, who co-founded Pita Brothers with his brother Manoj in 2009, said he is excited to come to campus and closely interact with his patrons.

“Marquette, I think, lacks and maybe still does (lack) enough healthy food options,” Swearingen said. “Obviously, you have to create a menu that has healthy food options, but you have to do it in an efficient manner because people, whether they’re students or faculty or work nearby, are always pressed for time.”

Pita Brothers will operate much differently as a restaurant compared to a food truck. Swearingen said he plans to modernize his business. He said he has many ideas including an app and the use of iPads, but he said he’s unsure if he can implement them all.

The restaurant will, however, be efficient.

“We’re trying to be cutting-edge with everything,” Swearingen said. “(The restaurant) is definitely a much more modern concept. The only thing that won’t be modern is MarquetteCash.”

A menu expansion is in the works for the business. It’s not finalized yet, but the Swearingen brothers plan to cater to the Marquette community’s desires, so they’re open to suggestions from customers.

“We’re not 100 percent sure how we are going to finalize the menu because we want to work with the students,” Swearingen said. “We will add more choices but there won’t be an incredible amount of more choices because we want to make sure we move things as efficiently as we can.”

Moving into a retail space is a dream come true for the Swearingen brothers. While parked on campus as a food truck, they formed relationships with their customers.

“The people that have bought pita from our truck are directly responsible for helping us get to a situation where we can open a (restaurant,)” Swearingen said. “It’s a street-to-restaurant type of story where we start on the street, develop a following, friendships or acquaintanceships with the people we serve, and then we take their money and we use that to directly expand our operations and hours to be available to them more often.”

As for the future of the Pita Brothers food truck, its last ride will likely be this fall. Swearingen wants to focus on the restaurant but hasn’t ruled out bringing the truck back in the spring.

“(The truck) will continue to operate until the (restaurant) is officially open and then we have to focus on the management of that (restaurant,)” Swearingen said. “Around November we should park the truck.”

I loved him in Deadwood

reinko

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2014, 10:47:46 AM »
What was the cheesesteak place, on Wells in the late 90s?  I have fond memories.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »
What was the cheesesteak place, on Wells in the late 90s?  I have fond memories.

Taste of Philly -- so good.....

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
It's on South 2nd St.  now.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »

Earlier there was Rick's on Wells, which was outstanding.  I only had it when sober too. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »

Hahah, duh! Thanks. The owner was super cool.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »

Ziggy's had some kick ass smoothies.

It's on South 2nd St.  now.

Taste of Philly?  Is that the same as The Philly Way?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
 Is that the same as The Philly Way?

Carlo Danisi - The Philly Phanatic of McCormick Hall

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »
Carlo Danisi - The Philly Phanatic of McCormick Hall

I don't even know what that means.  All I know is The Philly Way is delicious and I believe is on 2nd St.  I believe they also put one in on Brady St. within the last couple years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »
I don't even know what that means.  All I know is The Philly Way is delicious and I believe is on 2nd St.  I believe they also put one in on Brady St. within the last couple years.

This is true. I can say that the Brady Street recipe is identical, no difference, both delish. There used to be a downtown location, I believe around 2nd and Wells, but it didn't get enough business. Not enough downtown lunch people who appreciate good food.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:15 AM »

My gut owes them a big hat tip.

And many people didn't like the BBQ place near Vibes at Campus Town, but they did have some mean meats...and the best rice and beans I've had anywhere.
SS Marquette

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »
I heard they demolished Gyros today. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm still pretty upset that this place closed. I was a big fan of their burgers, chicken bacon swiss, and philly cheesesteak, and now I'll never have an opportunity to try the actual gyro. Damn.
Bring back FFP!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
I heard they demolished Gyros today. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm still pretty upset that this place closed. I was a big fan of their burgers, chicken bacon swiss, and philly cheesesteak, and now I'll never have an opportunity to try the actual gyro. Damn.

Confirm.  Here are the pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marquette-Wire/190285484370852
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:55:16 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
Maybe Sobelman's will expand?

What else is MU gonna do with that little slice of real estate?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
Maybe Sobelman's will expand?

What else is MU gonna do with that little slice of real estate?

Actually, from what I hear, Sobelman's is putting in a beer garden there.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »

Awesome!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »

Nice!