[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rumors and Rants Blog: Maui Recap  (Read 5123 times)

Pardner

Rumors and Rants Blog: Maui Recap
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:23:54 PM »
I came across this blog on the Maui Invitational.  Interesting to get his perspective, but basically echoes the comments here.  One tidbit:  Bilas picked MU to win.  LOL at the TC and Diet Pepsi comment....others are picking up on that.  Hope TC gets some good cash from them. 

http://sportsyenta.blogspot.com/2007/11/maui-invitational-day-three.html

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Rumors and Rants Blog: Maui Recap
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »
To keep with a Thanksgiving motif, here are the juicy "morsels":

-After Bilas walked away to start prepping for the game, I noticed that the worst official in the history of college sports, Ed Hightower, would be working the final game. In no universe was this going to end well.

- I have to say, this was an excellent game but as I expected it would be, the officiating was atrocious. Nothing against Duke, they played very well and earned a 77-73 win, but Marquette really didn't have a chance in this one. From what friends are telling me, even the dynamic trio of McDonough, Bilas and Raftery were all commenting on it. I don't blame Duke or the "Duke-bias" some people complain about with officials, I just blame a bad crew. The Blue Devils were whistled for 16 fouls, while Marquette got called for 27. Any time the disparity is more than five one way or the other, there is a problem.

- Again, I don't blame Duke, hell if my team could get away with that much I'm sure I'd take it. It isn't their fault, but it's hard not to point it out because it totally changed the game.

- Quite frankly, with the Golden Eagles/Warriors getting whistled so often, it was hard for them to get into a rhythm.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:32:35 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:53:41 PM »

It isn't antiMU bias at all. It is holy Duke, pure and simple. Four years ago it got so bad that the rest of the ACC coaches insisted on AND GOT a review of the Coach K factor in intimidating officials. Can you even imagine such a thing in the Big Ten of the Big East!   

Time for another one?

During the NCAA finals (Duke-AZ) back then Dan Patrick said he turned the game off early once he saw "how the officials were going to call it." That year Duke MADE more free throws than its opponents were permitted to attempt.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 11:54:51 PM »

It isn't antiMU bias at all. It is holy Duke, pure and simple. Four years ago it got so bad that the rest of the ACC coaches insisted on AND GOT a review of the Coach K factor in intimidating officials. Can you even imagine such a thing in the Big Ten of the Big East!   

Time for another one?

During the NCAA finals (Duke-AZ) back then Dan Patrick said he turned the game off early once he saw "how the officials were going to call it." That year Duke MADE more free throws than its opponents were permitted to attempt.

just like UW last season!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:06:26 AM »
One thing he pointed out that I thought was a big difference between the game vs Duke this year and last year was that this year Paulus was allowed to just push the MU defenders away with his free hand whenever they tried pressure the ball.  Made it a lot harder to pressure the ball.  That bothered me more than the foul discrepancy during the game.  Last year we didn't let them get into their offense.  This year they were able to much easier.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:14:11 AM »
I liked his comment that Paulus should have stayed with football.  When they mentioned during the telecast that he was something like the best HS football player or the best QB his senior year I thought the same thing.   This guy is really nothing special as a college PG.  Travis was far better.  Can't see Paulus making it in the NBA

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:41:45 AM »

Yeah, Paulus should have played football— for Duke! That would have toughened him up. He has been a disappointment in another area; he doesn't seem to be nearly the grade A jerk most Duke guards are. But then Hurley, Jay Williams and Reddick set ethereally high standards.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
Hightower is a very good official or he wouldn't be given important games----some of you guys are parinoid!

Knights04

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »
Hightower is a very good official or he wouldn't be given important games----some of you guys are parinoid!

I'm sure he is a very good official; however, he has a tendency to take over a game.  To me a good official should not be in the spotlight of the game, but rather you should not notice him.  Too often it seems Hightower is in the spotlight and overcontrolling.  How else would everyone know the officials name?

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »

That's some whack-ass logic if I've ever seen some, and you could basically apply it to anything.

"Bush is a very good president or he wouldn't be leading our country!"

"Dave Littlefield is a very good general manager or he wouldn't be in such a commanding position of a MLB organization (he's not anymore, but that doesn't really matter)."

etc etc.  I could go all day with stupidity like that.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 06:02:02 PM »

That's some whack-ass logic if I've ever seen some, and you could basically apply it to anything.

Obviously you've never been in the Super Bar, otherwise you would already know that Murff whole heartedly believes Bush is one of the greats.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »
Take a peek at this thread from the Maryland scout site--they hate Duke, of course, but it's interesting to read what their fans say about Hightower as well as our team:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174&f=2580&t=1477526&p=5&sto=pagestart#s=174&f=2580&t=1477526&p=1
Ludum habemus.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »
Love the link, Lawrence...

Nice morsels...

damn singler's been in a duke uniform for about 7 minutes and he's already mastered the flop ... that's impressive

LOL @ the refs  .. marquette literally has zero chance in this game ...

Dominic James having his typical game (4-12).  He's so overrated.

McDonough & Raftery: "You have to wonder why the officials are stopping the game just to hear Krziampretty boyski challenge the call...twice."
SS Marquette

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 08:31:54 PM »

"Dave Littlefield is a very good general manager or he wouldn't be in such a commanding position of a MLB organization (he's not anymore, but that doesn't really matter)."

etc etc.  I could go all day with stupidity like that.

Isaiah Thomas is a good coach or he wouldn't be coaching in the NBA
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 01:23:49 AM »
Paulus may not be all he was cracked up to be, but he does have the Duke flop perfected, even when there is no contact at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPBJ_6y_5A

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 08:58:17 AM »
Murf is an expert on all things Marquette basketball or he wouldn't keep posting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »
Love the link, Lawrence...

Nice morsels...

damn singler's been in a duke uniform for about 7 minutes and he's already mastered the flop ... that's impressive

LOL @ the refs  .. marquette literally has zero chance in this game ...

Dominic James having his typical game (4-12).  He's so overrated.

McDonough & Raftery: "You have to wonder why the officials are stopping the game just to hear Krziampretty boyski challenge the call...twice."

Without Dominic. this game isnt even close
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259