[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scott Walker's lack of a college degree could be a win-win, presidentially Read  (Read 4931 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Scott Walker's lack of a college degree could be a win-win, presidentially

http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/scott-walker-s-lack-of-a-college-degree-could-be/article_db903156-e17b-5062-bf72-c18cbc538408.html#ixzz3NLo74BP1

December 26, 2014 3:15 pm
By Jessie Opoien
The Capital Times

Much has been said publicly about Gov. Scott Walker's lack of a college diploma — but thus far, it hasn't been a hindrance to his political career.

Walker enrolled at Marquette University in August 1986 and dropped out in May 1990, 34 credits short of the minimum required to graduate. He was studying political science, economics and philosophy.

About three months before he dropped out, Walker was hired by the marketing and development department of the Greater Milwaukee chapter of the American Red Cross, where he worked until March 1994 — about a year after winning a special election for the 14th State Assembly District seat. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Democrats and opponents of the governor have raised their share of questions about the circumstances of Walker's departure from Marquette, and some have suggested a link to a particularly heated — and failed — campaign for student government president. Most of those claims are either unsubstantiated or have been refuted — check this PolitiFact article for an in-depth look, complete with a timeline — but that hasn't stopped the rumors from resurfacing from time to time.

The way Walker tells it, he'd always intended to finish the degree. But things got in the way: marriage, family, the Red Cross job. And then a political career.

"The reason I went to college, in large part, was not just to get an education for education's sake, but to get a job," Walker told national reporters in 2013.

Since he helped establish the University of Wisconsin System's Flexible Option program, he has told reporters of plans to finish his degree "maybe in the next few years."

The Flex Option program awards degree credits to adults for prior education and work experience in certain fields. A spokeswoman for the governor told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in April that he would like to finish his degree once the offerings are expanded to include the right program for him.

Whether Walker decides to get his diploma or presses on without it, he can play his decision to a political advantage, several professors in politics and communications told the International Business Times this week.

If Walker launches a presidential campaign — and wins — he'd be the first president without a college degree since Harry S Truman, elected more than 60 years ago.

Arthur Sanders, a political science professor at Drake University, told the IB Times the governor could use his lack of a degree to highlight his "ordinary person" appeal. According to the Lumina Foundation, 60 percent of Americans don't have college degrees.

"He outfoxed many college graduates on his way to the governorship," University of Texas-Austin government professor Bruce Buchanan told the IB Times. "All those things suggest that this is not a fatal omission, although he'll probably have to talk about it at some point."

And if he does explore the Flex Option — or pursues a diploma another way — it could work in his favor, Sanders said.

"That's the American story," he told the IB Times. "You work hard and you succeed."

For his part, Walker has indicated he doesn't see a college degree as a necessity for a commander-in-chief.

"I don't think I needed a college degree to be in the state Assembly or to be county executive or to be governor. I don't know about any other position," he told reporters in April. "But in the end I think most people, for example (as) governor, judge me based on performance and what we're able to do."

Groin_pull

• All American
Call me crazy, but I don't want an "ordinary guy" running the country. I want an extraordinary individual in charge. Someone smarter and more accomplished than me.

Wish voters wouldn't vote for the person they want to have a beer with. That hasn't worked out so well.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Walker is correct

Anti-Dentite

• All American
Call me crazy, but I don't want an "ordinary guy" running the country. I want an extraordinary individual in charge. Someone smarter and more accomplished than me.

Wish voters wouldn't vote for the person they want to have a beer with. That hasn't worked out so well.
Well, he is a governor contemplating a run for president. That should satisfy the "smarter and more accomplished than me" requirement.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Galway Eagle

• All American
This thread will totally not get locked and clearly was in no way an attempt to start a political discussion.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

Amen!!

Benny B

• All American
Why?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

America could use Harry Truman today.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
America could use Harry Truman today.

Agreed.  But we definitely don't need a scott walker.  Walker is no Harry Truman.

Eldon

• All American
I really don't understand why people make a big deal about his lack of a college degree. It is neither necessary nor sufficent to be considered smart or be considered a good leader. Sarah Palin has a college degree, while Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerberg do not.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
The next Tim Pawlenty.......

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Amen!!

So you're going to support Ted Cruz?  He graduated at the top of Harvard Law, something even Obama did not do.  By your definition, he is more accomplished than Barack.

And, as mentioned above, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are totally unqualified for anything because they all have no college degrees.

"Amen" is just meant to be a political opinion, you're a liberal/democrat and don't want to say it so you try and sound smart with this total inconsistent statement.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Well, he is a governor contemplating a run for president. That should satisfy the "smarter and more accomplished than me" requirement.

Isn't the idea that you start small, like Milwaukee county commissioner, and then work your way up, like Wisconsin Governor.  Then show you are doing a really good job by winning re-election twice. (the definition of doing a good job is winning re-election).

Sounds like he is perfectly qualified to be President.  Whether he runs and/or wins is another question altogether.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
So you're going to support Ted Cruz?  He graduated at the top of Harvard Law, something even Obama did not do.  By your definition, he is more accomplished than Barack.

And, as mentioned above, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are totally unqualified for anything because they all have no college degrees.

"Amen" is just meant to be a political opinion, you're a liberal/democrat and don't want to say it so you try and sound smart with this total inconsistent statement.

Agreed.  College degrees are very important for a great many people, but are neither a necessary element nor a guarantee of success.  Plenty of dropouts are brilliant, wealthy and powerful, and plenty of graduates are taking your order at McD's.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
Isn't the idea that you start small, like Milwaukee county commissioner, and then work your way up, like Wisconsin Governor.  Then show you are doing a really good job by winning re-election twice. (the definition of doing a good job is winning re-election).

Sounds like he is perfectly qualified to be President.  Whether he runs and/or wins is another question altogether.
I hope you're not trying to change my mind because #1, nobody changes their mind when "discussing" politics and #2, I agree with you, he is qualified. I don't think ol' groin pull thinks he is though.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
I hope you're not trying to change my mind because #1, nobody changes their mind when "discussing" politics and #2, I agree with you, he is qualified. I don't think ol' groin pull thinks he is though.

I really prefer your previous avatar.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American

Exactly.  Any campaign strategist can tell you that you'd have to be a moron to try to change the opinion of a moron.  And knowing that morons make up 99% of the voting populace, such is why campaign strategists focus 99% of their efforts on turnout rather than swaying opinions.

Elections now days are simply about polarization, radicalization, histrionics and fear-mongering.  The only time candidates truly worry about issues, prosperity or children is when it involves their own issues, prosperity and children.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys