[Today at 11:22:27 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Serial  (Read 8515 times)

Coleman

• All American
Serial
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
Is anyone else listening to this podcast? I am obsessed with it. I am all over the subreddit, but was just wondering if any Scoopers are listening...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Serial
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »
I'm a regular listener. Haven't listened to the most recent episode yet (saving it for a long car ride tomorrow).

It's a great story so far. I'm interested and a little concerned to see if there is actually a resolution to the story.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
Is it about Cap'n Crunch?  I'm in!
Have some patience, FFS.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
Great story so far.  Also loving Start Up.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
I'm a regular listener. Haven't listened to the most recent episode yet (saving it for a long car ride tomorrow).

It's a great story so far. I'm interested and a little concerned to see if there is actually a resolution to the story.

Haven't listened to the most recent episode either, but I'm thinking it doesn't even matter if there's a true resolution or a "smoking gun". It's just really interesting to see how so many murky details can be skewed one way or another depending on the perspective you're looking at it from.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »
Haven't listened to the most recent episode either, but I'm thinking it doesn't even matter if there's a true resolution or a "smoking gun". It's just really interesting to see how so many murky details can be skewed one way or another depending on the perspective you're looking at it from.

Not to spoil anything, but I think that after listening to Episode 7, there is definitely going to be some sort of resolution.

I still don't know what that resolution is yet.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:34:53 PM by Bleutellenson »

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »
Just finished listening to #7.  Nice turn just when I felt like it needed a new sense of direction.  Will be interested to see how that folds in to the future episodes.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:54:33 PM »
Add me to the list of fans eager to see how this story plays out.  I'm through 6 episodes so far (will catchup on Saturday).  Certainly sounds like Adnan had a crappy lawyer but need to hear more to form a stronger opinion on guilt/innocence.  I've avoided any and all research into the story just to consume it via the podcast.

What other podcast favorite are out there?  My playlist includes:
Radiolab (live shows fun as well)
Snap Judgement (some hit, some miss)
Planet Money (has fallen off a bit imo)
Startup (Alex Blumberg's newest project)
Freakonmics
This American Life (great recent episode on East Ramapo)
60 Minutes
Meet the Press (enjoying Chuck Todd over David Gregory)
Stuff you Should Know (better than the title suggests)
Wait Wait Don't Tell me
TED Radio Hour

(this is probably my primary form of media consumption - far more than TV)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
Add me to the list of fans eager to see how this story plays out.  I'm through 6 episodes so far (will catchup on Saturday).  Certainly sounds like Adnan had a crappy lawyer but need to hear more to form a stronger opinion on guilt/innocence.  I've avoided any and all research into the story just to consume it via the podcast.

What other podcast favorite are out there?  My playlist includes:
Freakonmics
60 Minutes
Wait Wait Don't Tell me
TED Radio Hour

WTF with Marc Maron: long form interviews with comedians, musicians, and other entertainers

Comedy BangBang: improved absurdist humor with host Scott Aukerman

U Talkin' U2 To Me?: The encyclopedic compendium of all things U2 with Scott Aukerman and Adam Scott (superfan Adam Scott Aukerman). You don't even have to be a fan of U2, I personally despise most of their songs, it's basically just a derivative of Comedy Bang Bang with deadpan self-referential jokes (ex. referring to Bono as Bonobos, a company that sponsors the show) that build upon themselves as episodes progress

How Did This Get Made: Three hosts hilariously trash a horrible movie they all agreed to watch. Basically it's Mystery Science Theater 3000 as a podcast

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
Add me to the list of fans eager to see how this story plays out.  I'm through 6 episodes so far (will catchup on Saturday).  Certainly sounds like Adnan had a crappy lawyer but need to hear more to form a stronger opinion on guilt/innocence.  I've avoided any and all research into the story just to consume it via the podcast.

What other podcast favorite are out there?  My playlist includes:
Freakonmics
60 Minutes
Wait Wait Don't Tell me
TED Radio Hour

RadioLab, Wait Wait, and TAL are my favorites as well. The TAL on East Ramapo was insane. Ira Glass used to bug me, then grew on me, and now I can't get enough of his voice. Marketplace is also a great nightly financial show, and I download the Marketplace Weekend podcast every week.

I also enjoy the archival Car Talks as well, when I've exhausted all other options (RIP Tom)

NPR programming is so good.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:52:18 AM by Bleutellenson »

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 09:23:10 AM »
I have a lot of duplicates with others:

- Freakonomics
- The BS Report
- Football Weekly (Guardian)
- Men in Blazers
- Grantland Sports (NBA After Dark, Jalen and Jacoby, Lowe Post, skip the rest)
- Grantland Pop Culture (The Moment, Do You Like Prince Movies, skip the rest)
- This American Life
- Scrambled Eggs
- How Did this Get Made?
- Serial
- StartUp

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
WTF is amazing. I'm a big fan. Love Maron.

Kevin Pollak's chatshow
is pretty interesting if he has the right guest. REALLY long, but if you like the guest going in, it's a good listen. If you're not interested in the guest, well, then skip that episode.

"You made it Weird" with Pete Holmes is quirky and interesting. Sometimes Pete wonders into really cool stuff, and sometimes Pete just gets a little annoying. He's brutally honest about his own life, which is really disarming to guests.

Carolla's podcast used to be pretty good when he was doing longform, but now that it's like a radio show, I'm not that into it.

How Did this Get Made? Can be good, but a lot of it is improv, so sometimes it's great, and sometimes it's not so good.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
Can I ask a dumb question? Where do you all generally consume these podcasts? In your car? While at work? At home? Working out?  I'm curious. I am not generally a downloader of podcasts. I've listened to them on an ad hoc basis, but never really downloaded one for later consumption.

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel very old...podcasts and people talking about downloading TV shows. It's like a foreign language to me.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
I rarely listen to terrestrial radio, podcasts have replaced those occasions.

in the car, sometimes at the gym or on a jog, when I'm mowing the lawn, etc. etc.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 11:12:42 AM »
Can I ask a dumb question? Where do you all generally consume these podcasts? In your car? While at work? At home? Working out?  I'm curious. I am not generally a downloader of podcasts. I've listened to them on an ad hoc basis, but never really downloaded one for later consumption.

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel very old...podcasts and people talking about downloading TV shows. It's like a foreign language to me.

I spend 2+ hours a day in my car commuting. I spend a good percentage of that listening to podcasts. If you have an iPhone its incredibly easy. I subscribe to my favorites and they are automatically pushed to my phone. You just hit play.

I also listen to regular old radio, usually NPR and conservative talk radio (for grins). But when I get bored of that I switch to the podcasts.

I guess I'd say I prefer a hybrid of the old and new media models. I have cable and HBO, but we also subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I like it all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:17:36 AM by Bleutellenson »

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
Can I ask a dumb question? Where do you all generally consume these podcasts? In your car? While at work? At home? Working out?  I'm curious. I am not generally a downloader of podcasts. I've listened to them on an ad hoc basis, but never really downloaded one for later consumption.

I work from home, and primarily listen to podcasts while working.  Also while driving and working out.  For me, it's really just focused, on demand, talk radio.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »

While running or just while doing errands around the house.  I download for my runs but use Stitcher to stream around the house (phone->bluetooth jambox)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »
Just listened to today's episode.

I AM MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »

Yes, I agree. I was left with a very unsatisfied feeling after today. Last week, they teased today's episode as some sort of big reveal on Jay. But that never came. It was just more useless contextual information about Jay. I feel like we are no closer to a resolution.

I keep wavering back and forth between excitement and frustration.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »

I have NO clue whodunnit. However, it's becoming more and more clear to me what the initial verdict should have been. I want to go into  more detail, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. Maybe we should have a spoilers galore thread??

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
I have NO clue whodunnit. However, it's becoming more and more clear to me what the initial verdict should have been. I want to go into  more detail, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. Maybe we should have a spoilers galore thread??

Well, I think its pretty clear that from the evidence presented at trial the verdict should have been not guilty. There was lots of reasonable doubt. I have no idea how the jurors unanimously arrived at a guilty verdict, in a matter of a couple hours no less.

That doesn't mean I think Adnan didn't do it. I still have no idea, and am leanings towards thinking he DID do it. I just think the case presented against him was incredibly weak.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »
I have a lot of duplicates with others:

- Freakonomics
- The BS Report
- Football Weekly (Guardian)
- Men in Blazers
- Grantland Sports (NBA After Dark, Jalen and Jacoby, Lowe Post, skip the rest)
- Grantland Pop Culture (The Moment, Do You Like Prince Movies, skip the rest)
- This American Life
- Scrambled Eggs
- How Did this Get Made?
- Serial
- StartUp

I like the cut of your jib
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »

I listen in the car as well as when I work out especially on long runs where I'm not going for pace.  When I walk the dog or mow the lawn or do any household chores that don't require me to listen to somebody. 

The only issues I have are there are more podcasts out there than I have time to listen to.  One of the daily podcasts I listen to I'm listening to the beginning of August pods right now if mid-November.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
Well, I think its pretty clear that from the evidence presented at trial the verdict should have been not guilty. There was lots of reasonable doubt. I have no idea how the jurors unanimously arrived at a guilty verdict, in a matter of a couple hours no less.

That doesn't mean I think Adnan didn't do it. I still have no idea, and am leanings towards thinking he DID do it. I just think the case presented against him was incredibly weak.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I'm not saying this position is earth-shattering in the least. The burden of proof is on the prosecution BEYOND a reasonable doubt. Perhaps things will become more clear in future episodes.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »

So you think Adnan is the rare, charming sociopath?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »

EVERYONE turns into a sociopath.... on WEED

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »

I think that was sort of a false dichotomy. I don't think it has to be an either innocent or sociopath situation.

I think it still could have a (partially pre-meditated) crime of passion. People are underplaying how emotionally messed up people get when relationships end. Especially teenagers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:08:54 PM by Bleuteaux »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
This is the kid that got convicted.

I have a road trip tomorrow, and can't wait to catch the new episode!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »
I'm not sure if he did it.

But, I def. think there is reasonable doubt.

We'll see what other evidence they discover. It's fantastically entertaining.

Also, for a guy who has spent most/all of his "adult" years in prison, Adnon is remarkably well spoken & charming.

Oh, and if anybody is looking for another podcast, Pauly Shore just started one, and it's pretty good so far. (he's not just the weird/goofy guy you remember from the movies).

Pauly Shore's Interested (itunes or android).

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »
Complete guide to all of the characters: http://www.vox.com/a/serial-podcast-character-guide

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 09:56:51 PM »
Bump.  Serial is back with Season 2.  I haven't listed yet.  Will be tomorrow.

https://serialpodcast.org/2015/12/season-two-welcome

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
Bump.  Serial is back with Season 2.  I haven't listed yet.  Will be tomorrow.

https://serialpodcast.org/2015/12/season-two-welcome

I'm very interested to listen, but I'm going to have to work very hard to not let my blood boil.  Everything I've heard or talked to people who about Bergdahl leads me to think he is the worst kind of guy

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »
Anyone listen to Undisclosed - the State v Adnan?  One of the Serial follow up podcasts. Makes me believe even more that not only was the trial a travesty, but he likely is innocent.  Also, the appeals court has granted Adnan the right to a hearing with the trial court that could result in a new trial.

Miss the Grantland podcasts, but Simmons has Channel 33 up and running with Chris Ryan, Andy Greenwald and Juliet Litman.  It will be fun to hear it grow. 

Also, the network concept is growing, with Channel 33 joining Panaply, Gimlet (+1 to whomever referenced Start Up earlier in the thread), and others. 

Finally, I like the new New Yorker hour- David Remnick hosts, and so far he has had an interesting, eclectic array of topics/guests. It is well produced.  I think it may be replacing rather than augmenting the other New Yorker podcasts.

feedback