[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo radio show  (Read 5900 times)

tower912

• All American
Wojo radio show
« on: November 06, 2014, 06:58:50 PM »
540 still has Buzz's picture up.   Pathetic.
Prefers man, players dictate some zone.
Wants to push the ball.
Would like to pressure full court and create turnovers.   Want to make the opponent's offense react to our defense and not vice versa.
All 9 are going to have to play.
Wants teamwork to be a trademark.
Staff, scheduling, recruiting the 3 most important things.   Wanted assistants who believe in the same things he does.   The pick up games may be too intense. 
 Diener is the archetype of what Wojo wants a MU player to be.
Marquette tradition is one of the undertold stories of college basketball.
Small margin for error.   Must play attention to details.
How hard we play, how we play together.  Have to be the same with/without Luke.
Can feel if guys are in the fight together.   
Substitution pattern will evolve.   Not locked into anything.   Wants all 9 guys to be ready.
Wants guys who can defend.    And max effort.   Defense is something you can bring everyday.  Making shots isn't.
Expect him to be more demonstrative on the sidelines.
Don't want assistants taking copious notes during games.
Teamwork.
Relationships:   time spent, how you treat people, competency.   Make sure the players know I am on their side.   Even if truth is difficult to hear.  
Duane:   Healthy, great attitude, a guy who can score.   May be better off ball than with ball.   Will do whatever it takes to win.   'He's a guard'    Can play both positions.    Guys have to play multiple positions.

Starting line up....still in process.   Want more than 5 guys to think of themselves as starters.   Want all of the guys to feel valuable, part of us winning.    Starting is big, but it isn't the only thing.   Who finishes wins is what matters.    (Don't know if young guys know how to think anymore.)    We need everyone.   Players, fans, students, all in all of the time.  
Starting earned during practice, how you practice, what you bring.    Wants players to think about winning.   The more you throw yourself into the name on the front of the jersey the better the results.

Dawson:   Good shooter, good pressure on the ball.   Challenge is for him to keep it simple.   More that John can not turn the ball over and play good defense, the more he will play.  

Cohen:   Great attitude, skilled, well schooled, can play all of the perimeter positions.   Brings positive energy, which makes us better.   Willing learner.   Needs to get stronger.   Good basketball IQ.   Can pass, dribble shoot.   Will be a contributor as a frosh.  

Carlino:   Experience.   Great attitude.   Either guard position.   Needs him to be a leader.   One of W's first calls as a head coach was to Matt.  

Takeaways for me:   Lots of coach speak.   Stays on script.   Working to catch up on Marquette history.    Travis helping with that.    

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:15:06 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

noblewarrior

• Starter
Re: Wojo radio show
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »
Thanks for the great summary. Love that he recognizes how undertold and under appreciated the spectacular tradition that is Marquette basketball! Doesn't sound like coach speak, either.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »
Thanks Tower.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »
A couple more take aways... For those who couldn't listen to it...

Homer: "Will marquette play Man or Zone defense??"

Wojo: "We want to be an attacking aggressive on defense... We will play zone at times but thats not my preference... We have to attack with discipline... I want all the guys on the team to feel valuable and want to contribute..."

Wojo: "We dont want to be a defense that reacts to others, we want to be a defense that has others react to us.."

Homer: How did you put together your staff?

Wojo: He always had a list in his head of who he wanted... "Who you hire, who you schedule and who you recruit were always the #1 priority... got that from Coach K. The staff relates to players well and helps them grow..."

Wojo believes the team can win, with effort individually and collectively.

"The thing that shouldn't change from now to when Luke gets back is how hard we play, energy and effort should never change..."

"You can feel if guys are in it, to help Marquette from a good play, bad play, how they react in timeouts... It all counts"

"Our Substitution pattern will evolve, we have to put the best people on the court to win... All 9 guys should be ready willing and able to contribute..."

Overall he stresses defense, defense and defense......

Duane Wilson "He provides us a dimension of scoring that we will need, there aren't alot of players who can score on the college level... Will be a key contributer for our group.."

John Dawson "John's a guy who I think can help us, I think he is one of the better shooters on our team.. He does a really good job of pressuring the ball... His challenge is keeping it simple and thats a challenge for the entire team, we need to take great shots and not turn the ball over the more anyone can do that the more they will play..."

Sandy Cohen "Brings Positive energy everyday... He can pass dribble and shoot effectively... hes a true freshmen that can have a big impact..."

Matt Carlino "Has played the biggest role, terrific addition to the team. We felt like we needed to add experienced guard play after the turnover of personnel at last year"

I like Wojo as a coach!

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
Did the interview start right at 6?  I started listening on my way home at 6:30.  Last year the first 30 min was Homer waiting for buzz to show up. 

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 08:54:13 AM »
540 still has Buzz's picture up.   Pathetic.

Noticed that too. At least it's not Scott Monarch.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to provide the summaries, they are appreciated.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
Thanks to Tower and Nevada for the summaries.  Looking forward to this season kicking off.  Should be fun to see how some of the young guys develop.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
My gut tells me that Dawson is going to be odd man out this year. With Matt and Du Wilson getting big minutes I believe Dawson fans will be upset his PT this year.

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
My gut tells me Cohen will eat into JJ's minutes.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 03:37:57 PM »
My gut tells me that Dawson is going to be odd man out this year. With Matt and Du Wilson getting big minutes I believe Dawson fans will be upset his PT this year.

All 9 guys are gonna play..... Dawson included
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:41:18 PM by Nevada233 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »
My gut tells me Cohen will eat into JJ's minutes.

My gut says that unless the team is successful early, Cohen starts eating into Juan's minutes, particularly after Luke comes back.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
My gut says that unless the team is successful early, Cohen starts eating into Juan's minutes, particularly after Luke comes back.   

Juans been there 4 years at 6'5-6'7 averaging like 3 ppg... Almost laughable. So I can believe your prediction.