[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best Bball Programs in each State  (Read 5326 times)

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
Best Bball Programs in each State
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
From CBSsports.com today - The United States of College Basketball:

Wisconsin

Outlook: If Bo Ryan retires after this season (I don't think that's happening), is Wisconsin for sure a better program through 2020 than Marquette? I can't promise it will be, but we're taking the "Baaa-jers" here because we think Ryan sticks it out a few more years, and if Greg Gard takes over, then Wisconsin could conceivably still outpace the Golden Eagles.

Probably fair comments.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Best Bball Programs in each State
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:36 PM »
This year should have a lot to say.  I'm betting that they'll surprise, but by how much?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:51:44 PM »
Gard has the in on the job but if they should choose someone else, it could potentially have negative effects for the storied program.

It's hard to follow a successful coach who's synonymous with winning at one school even if you're a long-time assistant.

Just look at Hank.

The recruiting classes will definitely figure into the success of the Badgers.
If rumors persist of Bo retiring, who wants to commit to a coach that may not be there?
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »
Gard has the in on the job but if they should choose someone else, it could potentially have negative effects for the storied program.

It's hard to follow a successful coach who's synonymous with winning at one school even if you're a long-time assistant.

Just look at Hank.

The recruiting classes will definitely figure into the success of the Badgers.
If rumors persist of Bo retiring, who wants to commit to a coach that may not be there?

Well, evidently Kobe King does, who MU wanted.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
Well, evidently Kobe King does, who MU wanted.

Good get for Wisconsin, though at this point, I'm not even sure it's relevant. King is over a year away from being able to sign a LOI. If Bo leaves, does King stay? Maybe if it's Gard, if not, who knows what he does. Could be he doesn't like the replacement, or the replacement may not want him. Considering the Badgers situation, I'd say at best anyone committing to them is about 50/50 likely to ever get there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
Good get for Wisconsin, though at this point, I'm not even sure it's relevant. King is over a year away from being able to sign a LOI. If Bo leaves, does King stay? Maybe if it's Gard, if not, who knows what he does. Could be he doesn't like the replacement, or the replacement may not want him. Considering the Badgers situation, I'd say at best anyone committing to them is about 50/50 likely to ever get there.

I think most of these recruits are well aware of the fact that Bo said he was going to retire after this season, and I'm pretty confident in assuming that Bo is keeping these players in the know about his thoughts and what he expects to happen in the future.  I think if anybody is committing to UW, the chances of them going there are well above 50/50.  If they have doubts about where the program will be by the time they get to UW, they won't be committing there.  I'd put the chances of King going to UW at about 85%.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
Can't argue with UW being on top right now.  We have potential and I like our position vs. theirs over the next few years, but we have to earn it on the court.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:19:30 AM »
From CBSsports.com today - The United States of College Basketball:

Wisconsin

Outlook: If Bo Ryan retires after this season (I don't think that's happening), is Wisconsin for sure a better program through 2020 than Marquette? I can't promise it will be, but we're taking the "Baaa-jers" here because we think Ryan sticks it out a few more years, and if Greg Gard takes over, then Wisconsin could conceivably still outpace the Golden Eagles.

Probably fair comments.
This speaks volumes about the national impression of the Badgers. Sports writers out of the state are going to be pretty unplugged on anything not in the past few years. Pretty incredible that a team with back to back NCAA no-shows is seen as roughly equal to back-to-bak FFs.

Wasn't there a debate on here about better job?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:54:53 AM »
This speaks volumes about the national impression of the Badgers. Sports writers out of the state are going to be pretty unplugged on anything not in the past few years. Pretty incredible that a team with back to back NCAA no-shows is seen as roughly equal to back-to-bak FFs.

I think it speaks more to three guy's opinions of foreseeable future prospects than of recent success. And for the first time in a long, long time, could it be that we may have a more stable coaching situation than our inbred cousins to the west?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
I was hoping for Kobe King, but if Wojo and his staff can keep bringing in quality recruits and land the younger Hauser brother, we'll top the badgers.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »
Can't argue with UW being on top right now.  We have potential and I like our position vs. theirs over the next few years, but we have to earn it on the court.

Here, here.  Well said!

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
Sadly even at our peak after 2013 the Badgers still had us by a slim margin. Speaks to how good Bo Ryan was in fact going back to Stu Jackson when they started to surge they've been the better program unfortunately.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 01:58:38 PM »
Here, here.  Well said!

I might be wrong on this, but I always thought it was "Hear, hear."  Maybe?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 03:21:33 PM »
I think most of these recruits are well aware of the fact that Bo said he was going to retire after this season, and I'm pretty confident in assuming that Bo is keeping these players in the know about his thoughts and what he expects to happen in the future.  I think if anybody is committing to UW, the chances of them going there are well above 50/50.  If they have doubts about where the program will be by the time they get to UW, they won't be committing there.  I'd put the chances of King going to UW at about 85%.

Respect the process, a'ina?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »
I might be wrong on this, but I always thought it was "Hear, hear."  Maybe?

I like to say it with my hand out.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
The thing is we CAN be the best program in the state. It's UW or MU and we are in that conversation; so it will always be an open question.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
The thing is we CAN be the best program in the state. It's UW or MU and we are in that conversation; so it will always be an open question.

Not exactly North Carolina Indiana or Ohio level competition for that second spot though. Even if we had fallen to DePaul level we'd be better than UWM and UWGB
Maigh Eo for Sam

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
bo can win with just about anyone...and reach the levels he did with a few good recruits.  i don't think the same is true for many coaches in the nation, let alone gard.  if WI can get someone like tony bennett (and i don't think they can) they'd be fools not to.  a bo ryan retirement at the end of the year and a gard hire is the best case scenario for MU. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
Sadly even at our peak after 2013 the Badgers still had us by a slim margin. Speaks to how good Bo Ryan was in fact going back to Stu Jackson when they started to surge they've been the better program unfortunately.
If you recall in the 2011, 2012 timeframe there was some serious dissension among Badger fans that Bo simply wasn't able to recruit the level of athlete that would be necessary to reach the final four.  And a lot of that dissension was based on the fact that Buzz had not only gotten guys like Vander which was seen by Badger Fans as one they should have had but also Buzz was beginning to prove he could win in March.  I remember reading threads on the Badger board that said that MU was recruiting the level of athlete the game now demanded and Bo was stuck in the past.  Add to that the fact that the Big East was far and away the strongest conference at that time and I think most people would have said MU was more likely to reach the FF than Wis.  Of course a lot happened in 2013 and Bo proved he could win with his type guys.  Things can change a lot in a short time.  I think Bo is really one of a kind.  It wouldn't take much for Wis Basketball to slip back to Illinois level; good some years weak others, certainly not a FF contender.  At that point the programs are probably equal unless Wojo turns out to be an elite level coach

mug644

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
Not exactly North Carolina Indiana or Ohio level competition for that second spot though. Even if we had fallen to DePaul level we'd be better than UWM and UWGB

Well, there's UW Stevens Point, 4 times national champs (DIII) in the last 11 years.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
bo can win with just about anyone...and reach the levels he did with a few good recruits. 

You're underselling Dekker, at least according to his recruiting ranking.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback