'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino has it  (Read 13795 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Carlino has it
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:01 PM »
He's our best player.  Understands driving lanes and passing lanes.  I'm sure he'll take a shot or two that he shouldn't here or there, But I like his willingness to attack the bucket without forcing anything.  Good one year pickup by Wojo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Carlino has it
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
He's our best player.  Understands driving lanes and passing lanes.  I'm sure he'll take a shot or two that he shouldn't here or there, But I like his willingness to attack the bucket without forcing anything.  Good one year pickup by Wojo.

Two things are for sure with Carlino -
1) He's going to be a vocal leader. 
2) He's going to jack up a lot of shots.  Although they're going to need him to do so.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:11:50 AM »

The issue with him would be if he doesn't shoot the ball well. Great addition. Will it be a great season for him? eFG% will ultimately tell us.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
I like what I saw... a very confident player offensively.
Didn't stand out defensively, but I didn't see any mistakes, either.
I hope he's a good teammate and a solid leader.  A poor man's Steve Nash imho.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:41:33 AM »
He was good but he needs to stay out of his own head. After he finally made a 3 after missing his first 4 he went palms up and started jumping around like a "finally" miment. Very vocal on the floor but both him and Duane get frustrated too easily.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »
  I'm sure he'll take a shot or two that he shouldn't here or there

This statement will certainly prove to be true, IMO.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 07:59:07 AM »
There will be a game were both Carlino and JJJ are hot and it will be hard for any team to beat us. Unfortunately that might only happen once this season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »
Matt's confidence I extremely high and coaching staff knows they have experienced, talented guy for a year. He is going to play big role on and off the court. This is a bonus for all parties involved.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
I think he's going to be a poor man's Jimmer Fredette
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
There will be a game were both Carlino and JJJ are hot and it will be hard for any team to beat us. Unfortunately that might only happen once this season.

Why?

Why can't they - and Duane and maybe a couple of others - have several good-shooting games?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
The "it" that he has better not be a walking boot.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
I think he's going to be a poor man's Jimmer Fredette

???  Considering Jimmer scored 28.9 ppg and was many people's POY in college basketball his senior year, yeah I would say a *very* poor Jimmer Fredette.  Carlino has never come close to the FG%s that Jimmer put up either.

Really I struggle to see a comparison.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »

???  Considering Jimmer scored 28.9 ppg and was many people's POY in college basketball his senior year, yeah I would say a *very* poor Jimmer Fredette.  Carlino has never come close to the FG%s that Jimmer put up either.

They're both white guys who went to BYU that can shoot.  That's about all.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »

I really should have gone with Bill Simmons' homeless man's Jimmer Fredette.  Jimmer was a gunner and a volume shooter, I think Carlino will be the same way.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 03:55:56 PM »
My fear is that Carlino will be more of a Todd Mayo redux than a poor man's Jimmer.  Honestly, as far as on the court skills, I don't see Carlino being much of an upgrade from Mayo.  It also appears that some BYU faithful felt that Carlino had similar chemistry/team concept issues.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
Well, between Carlino and Deonte, if they play the same as last year, we won't have to worry about anyone else taking many shots.  They will have the shooting covered and then some.  I'm not saying their FG% will be good, just that we will have two guys who rarely pass the ball and rarely see a shot that doesn't look like a good shot.

Last year was just brutal.  Not only because we lost, but the way in which we lost and the way the offense looked. It wasn't fun to watch.

I don't know that we will be better (loosing Davante is a big loss and Mayo won a few games for us) but I bet we will be more fun to watch even in a blow out.  And our offense won't stagnate so much as we'll have a few guys that can create a shot for themselves when needed (and probably when not needed as alluded to above, as Carlino and Deonte won't have a problem putting the ball up towards the hoop).

My hope is that they both don't solely focus on scoring if we have a couple of other guys step up and show they are capable.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
My fear is that Carlino will be more of a Todd Mayo redux than a poor man's Jimmer.  Honestly, as far as on the court skills, I don't see Carlino being much of an upgrade from Mayo.  It also appears that some BYU faithful felt that Carlino had similar chemistry/team concept issues.
I agree with this. Carlino and chemistry issues with the team will be a big challenge for Wojo. As  player he reminds of Drew Nietzel. Basically a chucker with a barely acceptable shooting percentage.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
If Carlino has it, he is most likely going to shoot it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
I love how last year people were complaining about a PG who wont/can't shoot and now people are complaining of a guy who shoots too much on a team that doesn't have a ton of scorers. I like what Carlino can bring to the table for MU.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
Not complaining.   He and Burton are going to have to be volume scorers.   But they also need some semblance of a conscience.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »
Not complaining.   He and Burton are going to have to be volume scorers.   But they also need some semblance of a conscience.   

As a former coach would say, they need to grow their hair out to protect their brains so they don't forget how to play.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 06:29:26 PM »
I love how last year people were complaining about a PG who wont/can't shoot and now people are complaining of a guy who shoots too much on a team that doesn't have a ton of scorers. I like what Carlino can bring to the table for MU.

As bad as playing four on five on offense can be, playing one on five is worse.  I hope that Wojo can get Matt to buy into the complete offense.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »
If he's our best
Player then Tennessee tech might be a
Closer
Game than we thought .

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
If he's our best
Closer
Game than we thought .

I wouldn't count on any blowouts.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
If he's our best
Closer
Game than we thought .

This is really bad haiku.