collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Taking touristy and cool recommendations for the New England states  (Read 10141 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Taking touristy and cool recommendations for the New England states
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 12:38:52 PM »

You MUST try a lobster roll. 

This is for MU82 - The lobster roll was invented in Milford, CT in 1929.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »

Small world, I've been going to York beach every July with my entire extended family for the past 15+ years. Long sands beach and Nubble light are definitely worth seeing

Growing up, I used to visit my French-Canadian relatives way upstate in Greenville, ME on Moosehead Lake.  When some of my older relatives passed away my parents decided to not drive so far anymore and would go to York Beach instead to get their Maine fix in.  (The Maine coast in summer is loaded with French-Canadians anyway.)  My brother and I would go in the water and it was so cold you didn't know it as it would numb everything until your knees and elbows turned purple and eventually we would stumble back to our beach towels with our muscles stiffened so much from the cold.  All the towns on the Maine coast are wonderful to visit with plenty of places to eat fresh Maine caught lobster.

(Since fatherhood, all my family beach vacations have been Virginia Beach and south to avoid the "cold" water.)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »
Kin-zee in local parlance.  I meant to mention this one also.  It was fascinating to visit recently after reading the book & watching the John Adams mini-series.  It closes for the season on November 10.  We visited on that date and both President Adam's and their wives had a wreath & flag laid on it.  Apparently, every Veteran's Day weekend (I think this was the reason), deceased presidents get this at their burial site.  The library was built by JQA's son (out of stone to be fireproof per JQA) to house his father's and grandfather's books & writings.

Love that HBO series. Adams was one of the most important, and difficult, Founders of this great Republic. I thought Giamatti was an odd choice but he delivered magnificently. One of the most unheralded influences in shaping the fledgling nation was Abigail Adams. America is a better place because of her.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
Love that HBO series. Adams was one of the most important, and difficult, Founders of this great Republic. I thought Giamatti was an odd choice but he delivered magnificently. One of the most unheralded influences in shaping the fledgling nation was Abigail Adams. America is a better place because of her.

Keefe, My then 9 & 11 year old daughters enjoyed the visit and it must have been something between the pre-tour Tom Hanks narrated video and park ranger discussions at all the stops, but they left thinking Abigail was some cool chick and insisted they each had to get a book on her at the gift shop at the end.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »
Kin-zee in local parlance.  I meant to mention this one also.  It was fascinating to visit recently after reading the book & watching the John Adams mini-series.  It closes for the season on November 10.  We visited on that date and both President Adam's and their wives had a wreath & flag laid on it.  Apparently, every Veteran's Day weekend (I think this was the reason), deceased presidents get this at their burial site.  The library was built by JQA's son (out of stone to be fireproof per JQA) to house his father's and grandfather's books & writings.
Actually pronounced Kwin-zee. But at least u didn't try to call it Quin-see. The Library was designed by HH Richardson who was a very famous architect who also designed Trinity church in Copley square in Boston which is regarded as an architectural masterpiece. And Quincy does all of the American holidays big, as we are called the city if Presidents. I would highly recommend a visit to Quincy.

BTW I was born and raised in Quincy, and my family has lived their for 4 generations, great city

Interesting to hear an outsiders perspective. What sites were you impressed with, and what did you go see/do?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Actually pronounced Kwin-zee. But at least u didn't try to call it Quin-see. The Library was designed by HH Richardson who was a very famous architect who also designed Trinity church in Copley square in Boston which is regarded as an architectural masterpiece. And Quincy does all of the American holidays big, as we are called the city if Presidents. I would highly recommend a visit to Quincy.

BTW I was born and raised in Quincy, and my family has lived their for 4 generations, great city

Interesting to hear an outsiders perspective. What sites were you impressed with, and what did you go see/do?

Celtic Truth - Got the pronunciation from my cousins from Needham.  In Quincy, I only really saw everything in Adams National Park & the church they are buried in.  Wasn't the church designed by the same architect as Quincy Market?  They were raising the town Christmas Tree that day and we stopped by Gunther Tooties for coffee and pastries afterwards.  My wife bought a mug she liked the coffee so much.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Celtic Truth - Got the pronunciation from my cousins from Needham.  In Quincy, I only really saw everything in Adams National Park & the church they are buried in.  Wasn't the church designed by the same architect as Quincy Market?  They were raising the town Christmas Tree that day and we stopped by Gunther Tooties for coffee and pastries afterwards.  My wife bought a mug she liked the coffee so much.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your time in Quincy. Gunther Tooties is a pretty good spot but you should have stopped at the Original Dunkin Donuts which is in Quincy

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »
Good to hear that you enjoyed your time in Quincy. Gunther Tooties is a pretty good spot but you should have stopped at the Original Dunkin Donuts which is in Quincy

Did not know that.  Will have to put DD on my list for my next visit to Boston.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »
I'm loving this thread so much, I've shared it with others!

Thank you!

Keep them coming!

;D
SS Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
I'm loving this thread so much, I've shared it with others!

Thank you!

Keep them coming!

;D

We're going to need a full Scoop report after your trip for wherever parts of New England you visit!

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »

Small world, I've been going to York beach every July with my entire extended family for the past 15+ years. Long sands beach and Nubble light are definitely worth seeing

I wouldn't be surprised if we've walked by eachother... I was there for a few weeks in July. My friends came out from across the country, we might have caused a lobster shortage.

What's your favorite ice cream at Brown's?

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
Growing up, I used to visit my French-Canadian relatives way upstate in Greenville, ME on Moosehead Lake.  When some of my older relatives passed away my parents decided to not drive so far anymore and would go to York Beach instead to get their Maine fix in.  (The Maine coast in summer is loaded with French-Canadians anyway.)  My brother and I would go in the water and it was so cold you didn't know it as it would numb everything until your knees and elbows turned purple and eventually we would stumble back to our beach towels with our muscles stiffened so much from the cold.  All the towns on the Maine coast are wonderful to visit with plenty of places to eat fresh Maine caught lobster.

(Since fatherhood, all my family beach vacations have been Virginia Beach and south to avoid the "cold" water.)

Yeah, the water is pretty cold. I usually try to stay below nut level...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
Yo, if you graduated in '65, I'd say you're no deeper than a foot in water then, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we've walked by eachother... I was there for a few weeks in July. My friends came out from across the country, we might have caused a lobster shortage.

What's your favorite ice cream at Brown's?
Its gotta be the cookie dough......Huge chunks of cookie dough in every bite. But the brownie sundae is tough to pass up

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:42 PM »
Its gotta be the cookie dough......Huge chunks of cookie dough in every bite. But the brownie sundae is tough to pass up

Impressive. I don't think I've ever finished a brownie sundae by myself, always surprised by the people who order it. Kahlua fudge brownie has always been my favorite.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
I don't drink beer often, but if Shipyard continues to make the Pumpkinhead, I'm gonna need a sponsor. ;p

Simply delicious. Was served with a cinnamon sugared rim...liquid food became liquid dessert.
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »
Was served with a cinnamon sugared rim...liquid food became liquid dessert.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
77ncaachamps - Whatever happened to your autumn trip to New England?  Did it work out?  Did you visit multiple locations?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
77ncaachamps - Whatever happened to your autumn trip to New England?  Did it work out?  Did you visit multiple locations?

I will recount it tonight. On the road right now.
SS Marquette