[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NHL Thread  (Read 52141 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2014-15 NHL Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2015, 05:50:50 PM »
At 3-2, it was the Ducks series to lose. After what looked at the time like a back breaking Game 5 win, Anaheim just didn't show up until it was too late in games 6 or 7. They let the Hawks dictate pace in those games. I'd say that was the series.

When the other team is better, that's what typically happens.  Hawks were the better team before the series started.  Ducks had their chances.  If Kane wasn't hurt in the season, Hawks would have had home ice.  Ducks were ranked 14th in the Adjusted Fenwick.  Chicago was #3 in that rating which has been amazing at predicting who goes to the cup and wins it the last 6 years.  Amazing.  They likely would have been number one without the injury.

I was amazed it went 7 games, I thought the Hawks in 5 or 6 at most.  If Ducks had won game 2, they had a good shot, but that was the killer.

Youth and experience are tough, and the Ducks are so damn young and Hawks have age and experience everywhere.  I'm glad we pushed the Hawks to the limit and scared their fans, it was a fun series, but the outcome was not surprising one bit as I stated two weeks ago even with the Ducks up one game to none.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »
I was able to see parts of the games in Europe.  They started at 2:00am and 3:00am accordingly....but I was there for my mom's last hurrah as her health is in serious decline.  Let's just say my ability to give a crap about the NHL with her stuff was low. 

Well, of course.  Great that you were able to be together.  Going through difficult times reminds me both of the absurd amount of time and energy we spend on our games, and the bit of comfort we can get from the pleasant (sometimes!) distraction our games can offer.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »
I was able to see parts of the games in Europe.  They started at 2:00am and 3:00am accordingly....but I was there for my mom's last hurrah as her health is in serious decline.  Let's just say my ability to give a crap about the NHL with her stuff was low. 

All the best. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  While it is tough, it is also special to have the chance to say goodbye to your mom. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
Just not enough tonight, but hoping to go 2-0 in Tampa was always a steep hope. More like what was expected from this series. The backup goalie for the Lightning really came up big.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
Just not enough tonight, but hoping to go 2-0 in Tampa was always a steep hope. More like what was expected from this series. The backup goalie for the Lightning really came up big.

Actually, I think he is better than Bishop.  Hoping Bishop is OK and it was just an untimely case of the runs (which is what Luongo tweeted when he left the game the secon time-  8-) )

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
Actually, I think he is better than Bishop.  Hoping Bishop is OK and it was just an untimely case of the runs (which is what Luongo tweeted when he left the game the secon time-  8-) )

That is a bad bug to get when you play a position that requires you to squat and stay relaxed for 60 minutes.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »
Uh oh...
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2015, 12:40:35 AM »
Uh oh...

Not good, far from over.  The Hawks were inconsistent all game but have seemed to need adversity to wake them up so far these playoffs.  I hope Cuminskey's minutes are given to Runblad.  His puck watching and slow reactions resulted in the game winner.  And after being SO good, Crawford's effort was really weak on that second goal.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2015, 06:40:19 AM »
Four reliable defensemen is such a danger. Giving up the tying goal before anyone was done celebrating the Saad goal was painful. Just felt like not enough focus at times. The last two minutes, even with Crow pulled and numerous icings the Hawks just couldn't generate a chance. Well done by TB, now Wednesday is desperation time. Thankfully, that's when this team has been at their best.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
I was talking to my boss after Game 7 of the Campbell Conference Finals how many hits Anaheim had compared to the Blackhawks - something like 38-12 in favor of the Ducks - and commenting that hockey is a much more finesse game than it was 15-20 years ago.  Delivering a check not only takes a lot of energy out of both players, but a missed check (especially on open ice) leaves you at a positional disadvantage... something that can't be afforded in a game where one mistake is usually the difference between a W and an L.

Almost on cue, my wife lamented "not another OT game" with about 3:20 left when Sharp missed that hit in the neutral zone... all I could say at that point was "wait a couple seconds."

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:16:15 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
I was talking to my boss after Game 7 of the Campbell Conference Finals how many hits Anaheim had compared to the Blackhawks - something like 38-12 in favor of the Ducks - and commenting that hockey is a much more finesse game than it was 15-20 years ago.  Delivering a check not only takes a lot of energy out of both players, but a missed check (especially on open ice) leaves you at a positional disadvantage... something that can't be afforded in a game where one mistake is usually the difference between a W and an L.

Almost on cue, my wife lamented "not another OT game" with about 3:20 left when Sharp missed that hit in the neutral zone... all I could say at that point was "wait a couple seconds."

[/quote

As for Sharp, maybe he was checking out what wife\girlfiend of a teammate he was going to bag after the game.   :)

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
TB was (again) so fast at the start of the game.  Hawks caught up and were on.  Credit to TB and Bishop for holding them mostly in check.  And couldn't agree more about the thin D:  TVR looked tentative (no surprise) and Cumiskey just isn't very good.  Amazed that they killed the 5-3 and then lasted the rest of the 2nd period with Oduya out.

Unless a series is 3-0, game 4 is always the most important IMO.  3-1 vs. 2-2 is huge.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
Hollllly Moses, you guys. My heart is still leaping out of my chest.

Let's go Hawks.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2015, 10:10:49 PM »
Tampa D is unbelievably good this series

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2015, 07:08:04 AM »
Wow.  Last two minutes a drain.  Crow amazing, with saving sticks from nos. 2 and 7.  Saad-Toews-Hossa looking great.  Hedman a beast in offensive zone.  Would have been crazy if Kimmo's cross-bar shot was the game winner.

Feels like the Hawks stole another one-TB missed more open nets in game 4 than the Hawks did in game 3.  TB looks like the better team.  Hawks find a way to win.  

Best of 3 now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:50:16 AM by LloydsLegs »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
Even though Tampa has played better thus far (and not much better by any stretch), the stats below reinforce my confidence that the Hawks will find a way to win the series.  I also think Kane and Toews are too good to be held in check for an entire series. 

The Hawks are 41-14 in Games 4-7 under Quenneville, 23-6 since the start of the 2013 postseason. Going forward, they are 27-8 in Games 5-7 since the start of the 2009 playoffs, 13-3 in the last three years.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
The Hawks are 41-14 in Games 4-7 under Quenneville, 23-6 since the start of the 2013 postseason. Going forward, they are 27-8 in Games 5-7 since the start of the 2009 playoffs, 13-3 in the last three years.

Heard these stats on the Score the other day, just insane. I missed the first period yesterday but watched most of the rest. It was a weird game to watch. At times it felt like the 'Hawks were just dominating but all the stats were still in Tampa's favor. So many posts and near misses for Chicago.

Those final 3 minutes were just crazy. Chicago's defense was pretty solid, Crow was excellent, and a dose of luck in there too to escape with the win. I feel like the 'Hawks are looking more and more confident as the series goes on. Even in the losses, it feels like they're figuring out what they need to do (cough, HOLD THE LEAD, cough) and while Tampa created a ton of chances I definitely feel Chicago earned that last night.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm hoping the Hawks can take some momentum into Tampa, that game definitely qualified as "winning ugly."

Also did anyone else notice how Tyler Johnson seems to just totally be out of sorts? He looks like he's got some nagging injury.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
I do worry about being down to 3 healthy (and capable) defensemen. Oduya is playing one handed.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »
I'm hoping the Hawks can take some momentum into Tampa, that game definitely qualified as "winning ugly."

Also did anyone else notice how Tyler Johnson seems to just totally be out of sorts? He looks like he's got some nagging injury.

Doc has hinted at an injury--not taking face-offs also

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »
I do worry about being down to 3 healthy (and capable) defensemen. Oduya is playing one handed.

Very worrisome...TVR shaky; Cumiskey not good; Timo old and s    l     o    w

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
Very worrisome...TVR shaky; Cumiskey not good; Timo old and s    l     o    w

I never thought I'd miss Rosival so much. 

brandx

« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »

Oduya always looked like he was playing one-handed anyway.

But I agree about only having 3 capable defensemen. If they lose the series, that will be the reason.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:47 PM »
I thought the lack of defensive depth would get them against Anaheim. Maybe in a long series it will wear on them, but I think in this series it might actually be less of a disadvantage. Two days to rest before Tampa will likely help the 'Hawks defenders more. Might get Bishop back, but at this point, I'd seriously think about leaving him on the bench if I were TB. Then back home to Chicago.

Have to figure that will be a major focus this offseason. I can think of two very crucial goals that seemed to be directly results of mistakes by Cumiskey and TVR. Agreed with VBMG that I never thought I'd miss Rosival so much.,

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2015, 05:14:24 PM »
I thought the lack of defensive depth would get them against Anaheim. Maybe in a long series it will wear on them, but I think in this series it might actually be less of a disadvantage. Two days to rest before Tampa will likely help the 'Hawks defenders more. Might get Bishop back, but at this point, I'd seriously think about leaving him on the bench if I were TB. Then back home to Chicago.

Have to figure that will be a major focus this offseason. I can think of two very crucial goals that seemed to be directly results of mistakes by Cumiskey and TVR. Agreed with VBMG that I never thought I'd miss Rosival so much.,

Depends. Does physical play or speed tire out defenders more?

feedback