[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The US News rankings are terrible for students. Why don't colleges stop them?  (Read 8720 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: The US News rankings are terrible for students. Why don't colleges stop them?
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
In other words, choose substance over form, beer over foam. I'm on board.

Ya, but they always say you sell the sizzle, not the steak, right?

Truthfully, I'm conflicted. I understand why they want a good ranking (marketing), but I hate to see them lose focus on the product.

The reality is that they can/should do both. But, it's not an easy balancing act. Hard to serve 2 masters.

GOO

• All American
Re: The US News rankings are terrible for students. Why don't colleges stop them?
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
The core product should not be compromised.  That is why I said "to the extent that the school can cost effectively keep or increase its ranking, without compromising its values and education process, it has to be considered as part of the marketing budget/expense." 

The bottom line is that you still have to have the substance and quality or that will catch up with you.  Selling foam instead of beer only works once, of course.

Core product has to be strong, but the marketing has to be considered and like it or not US News rankings is near the top of what is important in marketing a college.   

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »

A magazine ranking is close to the last thing you should care about when making the decision about a college.

I just can't agree with this. It's too black and white. If you don't think the prestige of the university you graduated from matters for you future career aspirations, you're just wrong. Say the rankings are flawed, that they put the wrong emphases on what colleges should be teaching, but to tell a kid he shouldn't take into account if a college is a top-10 law school or a top-30 is just wrong and terrible advice.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback