[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jordan McCabe, Class of 2018 - Are we in on him?  (Read 22532 times)

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
Jordan McCabe, Class of 2018 - Are we in on him?
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:39:34 AM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Jordan McCabe, Class of 2018 - Are we in on him?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:48:26 AM »
Spring 2014

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43794.0

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=23237.0

Answer:  Let him actually play a HS game (and complete his first week of HS too!).  When he lines up against Flory or Noskowiak we'll have a better idea how good he is.

pmills

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
Talked to his grandpa at a wedding this weekend, schools are just starting to come around, Marquette nor Wisconsin were mentioned as showing interest yet.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:36:24 AM »
Marquette and Wisc both know about him, not sure I can say anymore.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Marquette and Wisc both know about him, not sure I can say anymore.

How tall is his parents?  How tall is he now, great handle for an 8th grader, that is for sure.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »
How tall is his parents? 

This is why Wojo can't recruit JUCOs.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
Both parents are under 6 ft , he recently went to the Chris Paul camp in North Carolina, top 120 were there, Jordan made the top 20 out of the 120. Pretty impressive.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
He turned 16 today. I know this because my son told me on the way to school this morning - they are friends/acquaintances. I knew he was older, but had no idea of the actual advantage. As the parent of a 2018 player, this ticks me off. He is now driving age as he begins freshman year and close to two years older than a couple of my son's teammates. His dad is short - 5-8", maybe. The kid has an amazing handle for sure, but he has not grown much at all. I saw him play in the Dells in July and he looks to be 5' 10-ish. He was so far ahead of everyone in passing/dribbling skills in 6th grade (the first time lol) it was amazing to see. People would flock to the gyms to watch. Personally, I don't see him as a high D1 player, but I have heard that UW is on him. He's not big and doesn't play great D. Playing against kids one and two years younger will certainly inflate your game. It will be interesting to see how he grows. I have no doubt he will kill it in HS ball. And there is no denying that he is fun to watch. Mostly because of his handle and he rarely makes "normal" passes -- they are all highlight, high degree of difficulty types of passes (even when a simple bounce pass will do).

I know 2018 extremely well. There are three state guards I really like. Everyone talks about Courtney Ramey from St. Louis as "the" guard in the Midwest, but Whitnall's Tyler Herro is every bit as good as him IMO. I've seen them go head to head and Herro has had the best of him on more than a few occasions. I hear he may be starting varsity this year with a pretty good team. The thing I like about him is that he just knows how to win and makes his teammates better. He is cocky like McCabe, but he is just a better team player in my opinion. I also think he is a better shooter. I saw him last week and he looks to be close to 6' 2" already and growing. McCabe and Herro were guards together two years ago for Playground Warriors and they clashed. I think Herro is a much better prospect and he is only 14. His dad is a handful, but there is no doubt this kid works his tail off and is committed. He would have been Whitnall's starting JV QB, but decided to forgo football to train for bball.

Another "prospect" I really like in this class is Carlos Curtis. I believe he will be attending Riverside. He doesn't play with the big-name AAU teams, opting to play for his dad on a more city team. I know the big-name outfits have been after him, but the family has resisted. His brother was an all-city player a few years back and was known as an amazing athlete and crazy dunker. College didn't work out for his brother, but I believe he joined some European "Harlem Globetrotters" kind of outfit and was the "designated dunker." His sister was an all-state guard as well. Carlos has been dunking since 7th grade and has a man's body. His Holy Redeemer team won the all-city tourney this winter and he was MVP. Someone told me he had a triple double - steals, rebounds and points - in the championship game. While he can do it all, he is a scorer. I've seen him score 40 in a game. I've seen him score 20 and dish 10 assists.  Always has a huge smile and enjoys the game. I would put him at about 6' 2" - 6' 3" right now.

Mason Steffen from Waunakee is another to watch. Just a fundamentally sound, solid player who does it all. Plays for the WI Swing and does all the work without the flash. Doesn't waste dribbles or energy and probably the least ego of all mentioned here. His AAU team looks like an old-school Badger team filled with traditionals who can shoot. They run a swing kind of offense filled with back picks and cuts. Steffen is athletic, but the rest of his team isn't particularly athletic -- but they are all high IQ players. Steffen would be a Jimmy Chitwood kind of player -- best shooter, silent leader -- just plain gets it done. I've seen him run off 14 straight points before in just about every way possible -- mid-range pull up, 3 pointer, offense rebound, steal. He's probably 6' 2" as well -- very solid. By far Herro is the lankiest of them, but I certainly wouldn't call him skinny.

My son played with Kezo Brown from Chicago last month and he is certainly one to watch. Courtney Ramey and Jaylin Fleming are also two can't miss guys in the class.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:23:15 PM »
He turned 16 today.

Really? He sure doesn't look 16. Why is he allowed to play on a 14U team as a 16 year old?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
He turned 16 today. I know this because my son told me on the way to school this morning - they are friends/acquaintances. I knew he was older, but had no idea of the actual advantage. As the parent of a 2018 player, this ticks me off. He is now driving age as he begins freshman year and close to two years older than a couple of my son's teammates. His dad is short - 5-8", maybe. The kid has an amazing handle for sure, but he has not grown much at all. I saw him play in the Dells in July and he looks to be 5' 10-ish. He was so far ahead of everyone in passing/dribbling skills in 6th grade (the first time lol) it was amazing to see. People would flock to the gyms to watch. Personally, I don't see him as a high D1 player, but I have heard that UW is on him. He's not big and doesn't play great D. Playing against kids one and two years younger will certainly inflate your game. It will be interesting to see how he grows. I have no doubt he will kill it in HS ball. And there is no denying that he is fun to watch. Mostly because of his handle and he rarely makes "normal" passes -- they are all highlight, high degree of difficulty types of passes (even when a simple bounce pass will do).

I know 2018 extremely well. There are three state guards I really like. Everyone talks about Courtney Ramey from St. Louis as "the" guard in the Midwest, but Whitnall's Tyler Herro is every bit as good as him IMO. I've seen them go head to head and Herro has had the best of him on more than a few occasions. I hear he may be starting varsity this year with a pretty good team. The thing I like about him is that he just knows how to win and makes his teammates better. He is cocky like McCabe, but he is just a better team player in my opinion. I also think he is a better shooter. I saw him last week and he looks to be close to 6' 2" already and growing. McCabe and Herro were guards together two years ago for Playground Warriors and they clashed. I think Herro is a much better prospect and he is only 14. His dad is a handful, but there is no doubt this kid works his tail off and is committed. He would have been Whitnall's starting JV QB, but decided to forgo football to train for bball.

Another "prospect" I really like in this class is Carlos Curtis. I believe he will be attending Riverside. He doesn't play with the big-name AAU teams, opting to play for his dad on a more city team. I know the big-name outfits have been after him, but the family has resisted. His brother was an all-city player a few years back and was known as an amazing athlete and crazy dunker. College didn't work out for his brother, but I believe he joined some European "Harlem Globetrotters" kind of outfit and was the "designated dunker." His sister was an all-state guard as well. Carlos has been dunking since 7th grade and has a man's body. His Holy Redeemer team won the all-city tourney this winter and he was MVP. Someone told me he had a triple double - steals, rebounds and points - in the championship game. While he can do it all, he is a scorer. I've seen him score 40 in a game. I've seen him score 20 and dish 10 assists.  Always has a huge smile and enjoys the game. I would put him at about 6' 2" - 6' 3" right now.

Mason Steffen from Waunakee is another to watch. Just a fundamentally sound, solid player who does it all. Plays for the WI Swing and does all the work without the flash. Doesn't waste dribbles or energy and probably the least ego of all mentioned here. His AAU team looks like an old-school Badger team filled with traditionals who can shoot. They run a swing kind of offense filled with back picks and cuts. Steffen is athletic, but the rest of his team isn't particularly athletic -- but they are all high IQ players. Steffen would be a Jimmy Chitwood kind of player -- best shooter, silent leader -- just plain gets it done. I've seen him run off 14 straight points before in just about every way possible -- mid-range pull up, 3 pointer, offense rebound, steal. He's probably 6' 2" as well -- very solid. By far Herro is the lankiest of them, but I certainly wouldn't call him skinny.

My son played with Kezo Brown from Chicago last month and he is certainly one to watch. Courtney Ramey and Jaylin Fleming are also two can't miss guys in the class.

Remember being in High school and seeing WGN do a story on jaylin Flemming he's good.  Hope he stays focused.  How tall is he now? Because my dad and I had a bet on wether a 10yr old would actually pan out to be a high major prospect
Maigh Eo for Sam

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 01:44:11 PM »

He will barely be able to make the athlete age limit in Wisconsin in his senior year which is 19 by august 1. By the time he matriculates to college he will be 20. So by the time he is a Senior in High School it will be clear if he can make the transition to playing against bigger faster kids, learns to play d ,use his left and come up with variations on his move etc. This kid could be a high scoring and very fun to watch high school player.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Really? He sure doesn't look 16. Why is he allowed to play on a 14U team as a 16 year old?
To play 14U for AAU this past summer, rules say you need to meet one these requirements: 1) be 14 years old, or 2) be in the 8th grade (but not more than two years older than 14 by the end of the season.) Some tourneys have limits on the number of kids you can have on a team that are 15 (I've seen 3 a lot), but most don't check.  You see a lot of 15 year old kids held back for academic and sports reasons. I would guess that about 20% of a typical AAU roster would be 15, and a higher percentage on the top teams.

McCabe meets this exclusion by a few days, so he is absolutely maxing out the rule. He was old for his grade BEFORE he reclassified. I just lurked my son's twitter and he is indeed 16 today. Which would make him 19 on the first day of school his senior year and a few months from 20 when he graduates.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
He will barely be able to make the athlete age limit in Wisconsin in his senior year which is 19 by august 1. By the time he matriculates to college he will be 20. So by the time he is a Senior in High School it will be clear if he can make the transition to playing against bigger faster kids, learns to play d ,use his left and come up with variations on his move etc. This kid could be a high scoring and very fun to watch high school player.
No doubt he is absolutely fun to watch. Best high school passer I have ever seen and he isn't in high school. I would say he is comparable to Bronson Koenig right now. IMO, his future will hinge on his size.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »
Remember being in High school and seeing WGN do a story on jaylin Flemming he's good.  Hope he stays focused.  How tall is he now? Because my dad and I had a bet on wether a 10yr old would actually pan out to be a high major prospect
He's not that tall. It will be interesting to see how undersized guys like him, Chase Adams and McCabe turn out. I've seen Kezo play a lot and I think he is a lock -- I think he enrolled at Simeon.

Here is a link of the three Chicago guys at John Lucas camp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xd6WWblvg

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
Gotta get the Chitwood kid if for nothin' more than just giggles.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 02:38:41 PM »
To play 14U for AAU this past summer, rules say you need to meet one these requirements: 1) be 14 years old, or 2) be in the 8th grade (but not more than two years older than 14 by the end of the season.) Some tourneys have limits on the number of kids you can have on a team that are 15 (I've seen 3 a lot), but most don't check.  You see a lot of 15 year old kids held back for academic and sports reasons. I would guess that about 20% of a typical AAU roster would be 15, and a higher percentage on the top teams.

McCabe meets this exclusion by a few days, so he is absolutely maxing out the rule. He was old for his grade BEFORE he reclassified. I just lurked my son's twitter and he is indeed 16 today. Which would make him 19 on the first day of school his senior year and a few months from 20 when he graduates.

Wow, I knew 15 year olds could play, but I didn't know that 16 year olds could make their way onto those teams. By the time he gets to college age, coaches will know exactly what they're getting. Unlikely to see as much development while in college
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
Gotta get the Chitwood kid if for nothin' more than just giggles.
Him and Sam Hauser's brother Joey would be nice.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
Wow, I knew 15 year olds could play, but I didn't know that 16 year olds could make their way onto those teams. By the time he gets to college age, coaches will know exactly what they're getting. Unlikely to see as much development while in college
Just to clarify -- he wasn't 16 until today, so he never played 14U when he was 16. He was an extremely old 15 year old playing 14U, which is legit (but bs imo).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
Just to clarify -- he wasn't 16 until today, so he never played 14U when he was 16. He was an extremely old 15 year old playing 14U, which is legit (but bs imo).
We need to get this guy. He can break Otule's age record after his 4 years at MU. Or Mayo's. Get his degree and then go directly to Social security.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 12:31:12 PM »
Boxer -- I want to retract my can't-miss statement on Jaylin Fleming. Spent the weekend at the Pangos Top Freshman/Sophomores Camp in Chicago and watched his games. Looks to be 6' 1" and is a good player, but not on the same level as the really elite players and quite frankly, it wasn't even close.

Kezo Brown from Simeon was easily the best freshman (2018) and one of the top guards altogether. Jabari's cousin Malik Parker has a smooth touch, but he was pretty small compared to rest of the field.  They gave the MVP to a big from Grand Rapids, Michigan, Xavier Tillman -- reminded me of Davante from a size perspective. He was a good shot blocker, but I didn't see him hit many shots outside of 5 feet. I thought the MVP by a landslide was this jumping jack from Elgin, IL, Christian Negron - he posterzied countless kids all weekend and had range out to the three. Definitely a lot of politics behind the scenes like this going on -- I believe Fleming made the Top 60 game and he was petty average all weekend. For freshman/sophs, I was in awe of the size of the kids here.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
Wojo should call him and tell him that if he commits to us, we will immediately name one of the dorms after him.
Have some patience, FFS.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
McCabe sounds like Wisconsins version of Aquille Carr. I saw him and whitehead at the Brandon Jennings Invitational at muhs a few years ago. Carr lived up to the hype and took home the mvp trophy. Whitehead was a bum who whined up and down the court and got schooled by a kid that could maybe play D3.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
Boxer -- I want to retract my can't-miss statement on Jaylin Fleming. Spent the weekend at the Pangos Top Freshman/Sophomores Camp in Chicago and watched his games. Looks to be 6' 1" and is a good player, but not on the same level as the really elite players and quite frankly, it wasn't even close.

Kezo Brown from Simeon was easily the best freshman (2018) and one of the top guards altogether. Jabari's cousin Malik Parker has a smooth touch, but he was pretty small compared to rest of the field.  They gave the MVP to a big from Grand Rapids, Michigan, Xavier Tillman -- reminded me of Davante from a size perspective. He was a good shot blocker, but I didn't see him hit many shots outside of 5 feet. I thought the MVP by a landslide was this jumping jack from Elgin, IL, Christian Negron - he posterzied countless kids all weekend and had range out to the three. Definitely a lot of politics behind the scenes like this going on -- I believe Fleming made the Top 60 game and he was petty average all weekend. For freshman/sophs, I was in awe of the size of the kids here.

Very interesting thanks for the update. Figured it was a bit early to tell. Perhaps he just needs some time to get his attitude together like some teenagers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback