[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo, other Duke alums, think Coach K is far from retirement  (Read 13176 times)

mu-rara

• All American
Re: Wojo, other Duke alums, think Coach K is far from retirement
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »

Remember he turned them down the first time.  And if Doherty had been successful at UNC, Williams would likely still be at Kansas.

As I have said, it is hard being the one who replaces the Legend.  It is easier being the one right after that.
What he said.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 01:07:19 PM »
I wouldn't lump Wojo in with I4 and Brent simply because if he (Wojo) leaves here and goes back to Duke he's going for his dream job. Not the case with the other two as to the jobs they went to when they left MU.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »
I'm not sure Indiana was Crean's "dream job," but it certainly is understandable why someone would want to go there.  It is one of the best jobs in college basketball.

Really no one questioned why he left for IU.  It was how he did it that got people upset.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »
I wouldn't lump Wojo in with I4 and Brent simply because if he (Wojo) leaves here and goes back to Duke he's going for his dream job. Not the case with the other two as to the jobs they went to when they left MU.

I'd like to believe that, but I think fans will find any reason to hate a coach when he leaves. I have never seen a pleasant transition from one coach to the next (unless the coach retires gracefully)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »
I'd like to believe that, but I think fans will find any reason to hate a coach when he leaves. I have never seen a pleasant transition from one coach to the next (unless the coach retires gracefully)

So much of this.

We'll all justify it to make it sound good, but in general people are just pissed when a coach leaves. People are emotionally invested in the team (and the coach), and they get their feelings hurt.

Realtalk.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »
Is it hard to replace a Legend or hard to find someone (or also a Legend) capable of replacing a Legend?  I would argue Roy would have done just as well following Guthridge (who was the sacrificial next man after Dean).

I am racking my brain, but I can't think of a legendary coach that who failed following a legend but went on to a roaring success elsewhere...so is this phenomenon the person or the situation.

Pete Carroll.  Followed Bill Parcells in New England, didn't last long.....the rest is history.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Is it hard to replace a Legend or hard to find someone (or also a Legend) capable of replacing a Legend? 

It's probably a little of both.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
Many thought Crean would only leave for the MSU job.  Many thought that Williams would only leave for a Texas job.

Both proven wrong.  I think the only thing for sure is that Wojo is coaching at Marquette for the next 3-4 years.  After that, who knows?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
I think he's done in three years. He's gotta say he's going to be coaching longer to make sure recruits feel secure

And since Wojo is one of the logical choices to succeed him, it is in Wojo's best interest to say that Coach K won't retire for a long time for the same reason.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
A little OT but,

I LMAO when I hear Badger FB fans rip into Bielema and how they follow Arkansas just to enjoy the schadenfreude.  I think they hate him more than we hate TC.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
A little OT but,

I LMAO when I hear Badger FB fans rip into Bielema and how they follow Arkansas just to enjoy the schadenfreude.  I think they hate him more than we hate TC.

I don't hate Tom Crean. Or Buzz.

I save my hatred for people important enough to merit it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Is it hard to replace a Legend or hard to find someone (or also a Legend) capable of replacing a Legend?  I would argue Roy would have done just as well following Guthridge (who was the sacrificial next man after Dean).

I am racking my brain, but I can't think of a legendary coach that who failed following a legend but went on to a roaring success elsewhere...so is this phenomenon the person or the situation.

Larry Brown?  Had a final four appearance at UCLA vacated and flamed out after only two seasons. Widely considered a failed coach at UCLA. Later won a championship at Kansas. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
My sources tell me that if Wojo leaves MU for Duke, Coach K will  immediately come out of retirement to coach Marquette! And, just as Buzz did, he'll bring Duke's top recruits with him. So it's win-win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
My sources tell me that if Wojo leaves MU for Duke, Coach K will  immediately come out of retirement to coach Marquette! And, just as Buzz did, he'll bring Duke's top recruits with him. So it's win-win.
And Shakas going to be the assistant coach. #donedeal

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
Larry Brown?  Had a final four appearance at UCLA vacated and flamed out after only two seasons. Widely considered a failed coach at UCLA. Later won a championship at Kansas.  

I was referring to someone who directly succeeded a Legend (i.e. Hank R, Bill G, Mike Davis) - which was the original premise I believe that the situation is so difficult due to inflated expectations when you follow a Legend it is much better to be the 2nd person after the first washes out.  

If you broaden it out to someone who flames out in a situation but perseveres in the long-run I am sure there are much more (a Belichick-like renewal)...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
"He took us to three final fours, and I will always respect him for that."

And he led Marquette to two national championships, becoming the most successful coach at Marquette since the late Al McGuire.

Hope springs eternal!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
Pete Carroll.  Followed Bill Parcells in New England, didn't last long.....the rest is history.

Auerbach followed by Bill Russell. Auerbach won 9 championships: Russell 2 as a player coach for the Celtics though he didn"t go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:08:00 PM by muwarrior69 »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »
Larry Brown?  Later won a championship at Kansas. 

While savoring the taste of succulent Kansas peach.

Death on call

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »
Just because it's his Alma mater doesn't automatically (what up Davante) make it his dream job. Bill Self was offered Ok State and turned it down. Yes, I know Kansas it's a top 3 bball school but what I'm saying is, it happens. If Wojo can create the, hopefully winning, culture he wants and becomes comfortable at MU maybe he won't want to leave and he can make his own legacy. 

It's a reach, but it could happen.
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »
Just because it's his Alma mater doesn't automatically (what up Davante) make it his dream job. Bill Self was offered Ok State and turned it down. Yes, I know Kansas it's a top 3 bball school but what I'm saying is, it happens. If Wojo can create the, hopefully winning, culture he wants and becomes comfortable at MU maybe he won't want to leave and he can make his own legacy. 

It's a reach, but it could happen.

I gotta agree I mean Donovan didn't go to providence after building his culture at Florida.  I think sometimes we as fans realize that players aren't always as attached to the school as we'd like them to be
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback