collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Today's Jesuit Universities  (Read 12869 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Today's Jesuit Universities
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »
In related news: http://jesuits.org/news-detail?TN=NEWS-20140824085942

They clearly picked the wrong name. Marquette University India has a nice ring to it.

The Jesuits are booming in India and Africa. They are the only geographies where there is growth in their numbers, although it still does not make up for declines in the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:37:46 PM by Bleuteaux »

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
MU is by no means a heavily religious school. I also went to mass twice at my time at MU--once before I took the LSAT and the second time at the baccalaureate. None of my friends ever attended mass nor did most of the people I knew at MU. I really didn't know anyone who evinced any kind of deep religious conviction. Mostly we drank and reveled in being young when we weren't in class.

My friends who scattered off to other Jesuit schools--I went to a Jesuit high school in DC and there were many--all had a similar experience as me. I'd bet your daughter will find that she's had a non-representative experience so far. Tell her to stop attending those official school events and find a kegger in a crappy old house--there she shall find her brethren.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
The more she gets out of the dorm, the more people she meets,  the more clubs/events that she attends/joins, the less of this she will find.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
In answering the question about Jesuits in the dorms at MU I would suggest that roughly 50% of the buildings still have one. ALL resident halls have a full-time trained chaplain; typically not a priest.  MU still provides numerous religious outlets and resources but I'd be hard pressed to think any non Catholic would ever be uncomfortable.  And do remember that Jesuits move between universities. For example,  Roc O'Connor studied at SLU, had an earlier stint at MU,  went to Creighton for many years and is now returning to Marquette.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
I'll also say this. In a crisis situation I'd never hesitate reaching out to one or more MU Jesuits to deal with a serious problem with one of my kids and be 100% confident that things would be perfectly handled.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
When I attended in the 60s MU required 12 theology and 12 philosophy credits for me to get my degree as a Catholic. Non-Catholics had to make up those credits from humanities courses of their choosing. Perhaps my generation would be considered too religious by your daughter as many of us attended mass everyday, however, I never encountered anyone you would call pious, virtuous or a goody two shoes. We studied hard, played hard and when we were of age drank hard.

It was 9 Theo, and 12 Phil when I went.   Occasionally went to St. Joan of Arc mass, or went to Gesu.  Had Jesuit priests for all my Theo classes and at least one Phil class.

Don't believe there was a Catholic specific requirement in the 80's.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
It was 9 Theo, and 12 Phil when I went.   Occasionally went to St. Joan of Arc mass, or went to Gesu.  Had Jesuit priests for all my Theo classes and at least one Phil class.

The Theo courses were only 2 credits back then not 3. So I had to take 6 classes.  I had 7 Jesuit professors; 4 left the priesthood during my 9 semesters ( double major chemistry/biology) at MU. It was an interesting time as Vatican II has just completed. There were those professors who just couldn't let go of tradition and then there were those who wanted to change everything. Not too many in the middle.

The pedophile scandal has really hurt the church which has undermined it's moral authority and why things are so different today from when I attended.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:59:22 PM by muwarrior69 »

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:02 PM »
When I attended in the 60s MU required 12 theology and 12 philosophy credits for me to get my degree as a Catholic. Non-Catholics had to make up those credits from humanities courses of their choosing. Perhaps my generation would be considered too religious by your daughter as many of us attended mass everyday, however, I never encountered anyone you would call pious, virtuous or a goody two shoes. We studied hard, played hard and when we were of age drank hard.

That strikes me as very strange that there were different curricula based on religion. I suppose now while there are still theology and philosophy requirements, it's a little more generic.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
Doesn't Marquette still have Jesuits living in the dorms? Rick Abert and Frank Majka lived in McCormick and we had floor Masses and other faith-centric activities.

When were you at MU? I lived in Mashuda in 2006-07 school year and Fr. Majka lived across the hall from us. Really laid back, and very friendly, and he never complained about anything on the weekends. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
As a Jesuit HS grad, Marquette seemed like an extension of HS, especially with its religious life: masses were OFFERED but never mandatory. (It must be noted that in HS we did have mandatory masses, about 1 or 2 a year.)

Like Chicos said, if you wanted specific aspects of Catholic life, you could find it at MU. Faith groups, social justice groups, daily masses, etc. Heck, I joined a bible study group for two chicks - who were uber-Catholics - and needless to say, I left empty handed.

I think the Jesuit Catholic education centers on personal reflection of Christ's life and teachings and how you extend it in your sphere of influence, and not a canned Catholicism that is rigid and structured. Just my two cents.

RE: the new Xavier University in India, couldn't these guys put on more of a happy face?!
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 01:49:58 AM »
I went to a Jesuit high school in DC

Zag???

Hoya Saxa!

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
Zag???

Hoya Saxa!

Isn't there also a Georgetown Prep?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »
10:00 mass on Sunday nights in Schroeder was well attended. Especially when Fr Naus did a guitar mass in costume.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 01:45:17 AM »
When were you at MU? I lived in Mashuda in 2006-07 school year and Fr. Majka lived across the hall from us. Really laid back, and very friendly, and he never complained about anything on the weekends. 

Frank was on our floor in McCormick. Nice guy. We heard Wally Spence take his dive and got Frank who administered Last Rites. The next night he called a floor meeting and talked to us about stress and such but his delivery was magnificent. The Jesuits are an integral part of the Marquette experience that I fear their diminishing numbers detracts from the experience.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:35 AM »
Frank was on our floor in McCormick. Nice guy. We heard Wally Spence take his dive and got Frank who administered Last Rites. The next night he called a floor meeting and talked to us about stress and such but his delivery was magnificent. The Jesuits are an integral part of the Marquette experience that I fear their diminishing numbers detracts from the experience.

you have a great memory.  that was really a sad and confusing time as most of us had not experienced anything like that in our short time away from home.  frank was there for wally when, not too many other universities outside of the religious ones could have provided for that kind of attention at that moment  of wally's life.  then they were able to provide us with some peace and understanding also before there were "grief counselors" .  father frank was a great guy-had many a spaten at john hawkes pub over games of backgammon.  taught me the finer things of pipe smoking(uhle's tobacco on wisconsin ave.) from a meershaum pipe and how to color it with bees wax. he was trying to get me to substitute/quit ciggs.  what a blast from the past.  if not for a previous commitment(his), he would have married us-thanks for reminding me of him keefe!     
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 09:29:35 AM »
Isn't there also a Georgetown Prep?

There is no "also" in Georgetown Prep!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
you have a great memory.  that was really a sad and confusing time as most of us had not experienced anything like that in our short time away from home.  frank was there for wally when, not too many other universities outside of the religious ones could have provided for that kind of attention at that moment  of wally's life.  then they were able to provide us with some peace and understanding also before there were "grief counselors" .  father frank was a great guy-had many a spaten at john hawkes pub over games of backgammon.  taught me the finer things of pipe smoking(uhle's tobacco on wisconsin ave.) from a meershaum pipe and how to color it with bees wax. he was trying to get me to substitute/quit ciggs.  what a blast from the past.  if not for a previous commitment(his), he would have married us-thanks for reminding me of him keefe!     

We were married by Corbett Walsh at Gesu. My wife got to know him through a shared interest in Joyce. How many schools have alumni return to campus to be married by a faculty member? Bloody few, actually.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »
we would have gotten married at gesu also, but they were really restrictive re: the ceremony.  songs, readings, etc.  ended up at st. peters on east side, but really wanted gesu-a historical and beautiful edifice as it is
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »
There is no "also" in Georgetown Prep!

Give their new president a couple of years...

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
It was 9 Theo, and 12 Phil when I went.   Occasionally went to St. Joan of Arc mass, or went to Gesu.  Had Jesuit priests for all my Theo classes and at least one Phil class.

Exactly my experience but adding that I did have Rabbi Silberg for Jewish thought and Practice and I hit the 10:00pm at McCormick sometimes too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
Exactly my experience but adding that I did have Rabbi Silberg for Jewish thought and Practice and I hit the 10:00pm at McCormick sometimes too.

I had my THEOs with a Lutheran pastor, an Orthodox monk, and a Jesuit.

I had my PHILs with a hippie (Philosophy of Art...go figure), a guy from the administration, a lesbian, and a Jesuit.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »

I had my PHILs with a hippie (Philosophy of Art...go figure), a guy from the administration, a lesbian, and a Jesuit.

Why I love Marquette.

At a State U you get religious studies taught by a bunch of agnostics, obviously not part of the core curriculum.

At über religious schools you get mandatory classes taught only by people who toe the company line in all of their beliefs, and cram it down The throat of all students.

At Jesuit universities you get a true diversity of beliefs taught to all students, who learn to discern truth for themselves.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »

At Jesuit universities you get a true diversity of beliefs taught to all students, who learn to discern truth faith for themselves.

I think an important lesson I learned from Fr. Sheehan was the essence of faith

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »

Sounds like the start to a bad joke.

feedback