[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

In youth sports, should all kids that participate get a trophy, or just the winners?  

Everyone deserves a trophy
4 (7.1%)
Only the winners
52 (92.9%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Trophies for all kids participating? Or just for the winners?  (Read 14508 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Very interesting data that just came out on this, I'm curious how Scoopers feel about it.  I'm neck deep in Millenial data, how they act, what they consume, how they view the world, and this particular question came up in the data. 

tower912

• All American
Re: Trophies for all kids participating? Or just for the winners?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
Depends on the age.    Kids know whether their team won or not.   But for most, when they are young, they don't really care that much.   Once they are old enough to start understanding that winning or losing matters, then the trophies should be for the winners. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
Very interesting data that just came out on this, I'm curious how Scoopers feel about it.  I'm neck deep in Millenial data, how they act, what they consume, how they view the world, and this particular question came up in the data. 

Yay, Chicos is psychoanalysing us!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »
I think the only trophy I got as a kid was for winning a father-son bowling tournament.  Do they need to give out two trophies now so the kid doesn't have to share with his dad?

brandx

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »
Yay, Chicos is psychoanalysing us!

Nah. I think he's just lookin' for someone to argue with.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
The Riley Crean Trophy resurfaces.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »
The Riley Crean Trophy resurfaces.

which one??

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »
Depends on the event. Trophies might be OK for top X performers, but #1 needs to be HUGE compared to others. I'm OK with some dinky little participation ribbon in some cases (say, an elite science fair where 9,000 kids entered, only 5 were invited to the finals in NYC.. those 5 can all have ribbons. Winner gets a big trophy though.

But, I'm not a millennial.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »

My experience was the participation trophies kept the interest level up for the kids who weren't winners. Made the overall sports experience better by increasing participation. Especially for the lower grades. I think once in middle school it worked best to transition from participation trophies to equal playing time. Trophies only to MVP or Championship teams. Then transition from JV to Varsity where playing time increasingly corresponds to talent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »
My kids are milenials and I don't recall them ever getting a trophy simply for participating.  Regardless, most of them know that stuff is bunk anyway. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »
We always got participation medals regardless of outcome, but the top three finishers got bigger, personalized bronze, silver or gold medals. That was soccer.

Baseball you got a trophy for third, second, first or all star team selection.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:33:30 AM »
What about banners?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »
#1 I think examining the psychology of a generation by using the cliche "everybody gets a trophy" is shortsighted. (if that is what we are doing).

#2 For the sake of argument, if we do want to look at the psych and try to make a broad conclusion (again, I don't think it's really accurate), I actually think there should be more participation trophies and awards. There is a TON to be learned by kids having the guts to try new things, even if they aren't good at them.

I think it's a relatively easy decision for a kid who is awesome at soccer to try out for an elite youth club and work his/her tail off to compete. If you are good at something, it's pretty easy to fall in love with it.

A good amount of being successful as a adult is the ability to be flexible and take on tasks you aren't great at or don't know much about. (could be kids, professional assignment, painting your house, etc. ). As an adult, you will always be challenged to step outside your comfort zone.

Give me a kid with a room full of 100 participation trophies for 100 different things. That kid has some guts and isn't afraid to try. I bet that kid will be productive as an adult.

And again, I really don't believe in this type of lame psych. analysis, especially because I'm not terribly bright, so feel free to dismiss me.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
I agree that for younger kids a participation medal or small trophy is fine.  For ages 10 or 12 or above, I'm not so sure.  But I don't think it is a big deal either way, and the generational "changes" are always way over blown.

However, the federal government could institute a "birth trophy" and everyone born alive gets a trophy.  Get the party stared right.

Do, I have to put that in teal?  For this site, probably.  Just kidding for those.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
which one??

All of them - MVP, Best Shooter, Best Passer, Miss Congeniality, etc.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
#1 I think examining the psychology of a generation by using the cliche "everybody gets a trophy" is shortsighted. (if that is what we are doing).

#2 For the sake of argument, if we do want to look at the psych and try to make a broad conclusion (again, I don't think it's really accurate), I actually think there should be more participation trophies and awards. There is a TON to be learned by kids having the guts to try new things, even if they aren't good at them.

I think it's a relatively easy decision for a kid who is awesome at soccer to try out for an elite youth club and work his/her tail off to compete. If you are good at something, it's pretty easy to fall in love with it.

A good amount of being successful as a adult is the ability to be flexible and take on tasks you aren't great at or don't know much about. (could be kids, professional assignment, painting your house, etc. ). As an adult, you will always be challenged to step outside your comfort zone.

Give me a kid with a room full of 100 participation trophies for 100 different things. That kid has some guts and isn't afraid to try. I bet that kid will be productive as an adult.

And again, I really don't believe in this type of lame psych. analysis, especially because I'm not terribly bright, so feel free to dismiss me.

Entire post sounds pretty bright to me.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Entire post sounds pretty bright to me.

Thanks, but truthfully, I just don't think these type of dime store psych. claims really mean anything (including mine).

It just sounds a lot like older people (me included) shaking their fist at the younger generation.

It's been happening for a loooooonnnng time.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »
If every kid activity wasn't micromanaged by adults then there would be fewer participation trophies.  Participation trophies are a symptom, not the cause.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
The old generations' participation trophy was a letterman jacket.  Think about it you could have three varsity letters for playing whatever sport on the last place team in the weakest division but you got the same thing on your jacket as the top teams.  The difference now is people want that at every level.  I think participation ribbons are fine.  Trophies are for the first through third places. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »
I am in my 50s and everybody was getting trophies when I was in little league, so this isn't a recent phenomenon.  When my oldest brother played in little league, there were no league fees, kids had to try out and a lot of kids didn't make a team.  I'm only 7 years younger, but when I played, everybody made it and everybody paid a league fee.  Once that happened, everybody got a trophy, because that was part of what you were paying for.  Also, once you start paying for your kid to play, you expect certain things, like a reasonable amount of playing time.  When I was a kid the weakest players would get 2 innings in RF and didn't always get an AB.  Now everybody who shows up is in the batting order and has to play at least half the defensive innings.  In a lot of ways, I think the way they do it now is better.  

My son played youth sports throughout his childhood, and got trophies for every team, but even when he was very young he knew the difference between a meaningful trophy and a "Daddy paid the league fee" trophy.  The ones that meant something to him were the all-star teams and first place trophies (which around here were much bigger than the others, though 2nd though last place were all the same size)

As a coach, it sometimes I'd have a kid who signed up but hardly ever showed up and then I would have the ridiculous task after the league banquet of driving to the kids house to deliver a trophy even though the kid hadn't showed up for the last month of the season.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:25:08 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
If every kid activity wasn't micromanaged by adults then there would be fewer participation trophies.  Participation trophies are a symptom, not the cause.

True that. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »
Interesting results on this board....here's what the study found....basically the more money you make, the more education you have, the more right leaning you are, and the older you are means only the winners should get a trophy.  Those that favor capitalism, only the winning players

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »
Now we know why you started this leading topic. Should have just posted that in the first place.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
The problem I have with this survey is the phrase "every kid gets a trophy" has become a bit of a loaded political term.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
The problem I have with this survey is the phrase "every kid gets a trophy" has become a bit of a loaded political term.

Agreed.

The charts and graphs are great, but realistically, how many of those people interviewed are approaching the question from a analytical or psychological perspective?

It seems like it's a political terminology, and the answers aligned as such.

Trouble is, it's not a political issue, is it? Youth athletics? Trophies?